Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner May 2013

Evening Catering - Can I have your opinions please??

Missusp2b, 5 of October of 2011 at 16:21 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hi all,

My fiance has his heart dead set on a hog roast for the main meal which I'm absolute fine with a) because we both love a good hog roast and b) because I'd like our day to be pretty chilled out and i think that sits with our relaxed vibe really well ?

Our ceremony isn't until 3pm so i dont think we'll be eatting until around 5.30pm.

I would also love a fish and chip van for the evening buffet. I've always loved the idea but I'm unsure whether my guests would like it. I imagine that the evening food would be provided at around 8.30 - 9pm and I wonder whether a portion of fish and chips on top of a hog roast just a few hours ago would be too much for some people. As much as I like the idea myself I'd hate for my guests to feel pressured into stuffing their faces or for us to spend money on food that nobody wants to eat!

What do you think?

16 replies

Latest activity by Dianne, 16 of March of 2024 at 19:31
  • aecy
    Beginner October 2011
    aecy ·
    • Hide content

Can you not have them both at the same time?

Then serve cake and cold pork sandwiches for your evening guests?

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

If I was you, I'd go for hog roast OR fish n chips. Not both as its just a waste as it really is too much after eating so soon before. I'd go with the fish n chips; its unique and fun and memorable and you won't have some awkward vegetarian going on about how cruel it is to have a pig on a stick!

*No disrespect to vegetarians. I think it looks cruel but I don't go on about it! (It tastes nice...)

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Id have one or the other, with lighter food to pick at, at night.

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

Could you do mini fish & chips? my friend did this and it was fab! just a little fish fillet & a few chips in a cone, it did the trick at about 10pm!

• A
    Beginner August 2013
    annie2000 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a great lover of pork, and so as a guest I would prefer a choice, depending on what it would cost you it might be good to have the fish and chip van as a second option?

Just my personal opinion but I dont think, if i did eat pork, that I would want a hog roast follwed by then fish and chips, think it would be too heavy and then you would possibly have quite a lot of waste.

rereading this it sounds a bit contradictory but hope you see what I mean

• Poppyseed
    Beginner July 2012
    Poppyseed ·
    • Hide content

Hi there, we were faced with a similar problem, we were serving Afternoon Tea and then a BBQ, but decided it was all going to run into one, and end up wasting money on food that wouldn't get eaten. So we are now just serving the BBQ at about 5/5.30pm and later in the evening putting out some nice Cheese Boards and the Cake, just hope evening guests don't feel cheated at only getting cheese!!

In your case I would suggest serving one or the other, and perhaps something lighter in the evening!

• kittykat9/9
    Beginner October 2011
    kittykat9/9 ·
    • Hide content

We did slow cooked pork as our main and did think it might not be to everyone's taste but those we were worried about we offered the veggie dish to (it is also a religious issue ans any Jewish or Muslim guests may not eat it). We then had West Indian patties in the evening which went down really well as a smaller light bite. I agree with the others that a big roast will fill people up and they will only need a small evening meal - saying that, I thought nobody would be hungry enough to eat the patties and they ALL went because they were something different so everyone wanted to try them - even if they weren't hungry! If you serve something special/different, people find room Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner May 2013
    Missusp2b ·
    • Hide content

I'm so glad I asked the question - its sounds like if we have fish and chips in the evening it might be a bit of a waste of food and of hard earned cash.

I'll look into ways I can have a lighter but still kind of funky evening buffet - I absolutely ❤️ the mini fish and chip idea - i wonder if I could work that in somewhere

Thanks for your help ladies!

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Can you not have a smaller hog roast AND fish and chips? So there's a choice? I know as a vege i would appreciate the chippys!

• M
    Beginner May 2013
    Missusp2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We actually have no veggie mates or family lol!

Aside from that our hog roast caterers do provide several veggie options anyway and the sides are lovely jacket potatoes and salads etc.

I'll look into the idea of having a second option like fish and chips for people who's like a bit more variety but I'm a bit concerned there may not be enough outside space atthe venue for a hog and a fish and chip van to be accomodated at the same time. Might need to investigate though.........

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

If you've got nice side dishes to go with the hog roast I think that would be fine, a jacket potato and salad would be a fine alternative. At my brother's wedding recently they had a hog roast for the evening meal and that was all there was. There wasn't even a bit of salad. I don't really like pork, particularly hog roasts but I was starving by that time so I had a bap with some stuffing.

• mrs toosh
    Beginner December 2011
    mrs toosh ·
    • Hide content

We are having a fish and chip supper at about 8.30pm but only having an afternnon tea at 4pm....are you having extra guests in the evening that will need feeding....and also ppl love to eat when they been drinking....if ppl know they gonna get fed twice they wont pig out on the hog roast and so will eat the fish and chips too

fi

xx

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content

I'd check out the extras you get with the hog roast for people who aren't pork fans, and probably just go with that, fish and chips is a great idea and would help soak up extra alcohol but is probably a bit much on top of a good hog roast. (All this speaking as a veggie too lol)

If you'd like a van in the evening how about an ice cream van serving ice cream to go with the cake? Not a fish and chips van but similar idea! Or bacon rolls instead of fish and chips??

• mrs toosh
    Beginner December 2011
    mrs toosh ·
    • Hide content

Thought i better add we are having a fish and chip buffet...goujons of plaice, haddock and skate, also calamari, whitebait, green lipped mussels grilled with cheese, scampi, lemon fillets in batter and potatoe skins stuffed with prawns and cheese....so not great big bits of fish but small pieces so ppl dont feel they got to eat their way through a whole fillet.

xx

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

We are having a fish and chip sit down meal at 5.30 being delivered from the local award winning chippy and a cold buffet in the evening only due to the fact we get married at 3.15 and if people missed lunch i wanted them to have a hot meal then with 180 eve guests a cold buffet works well, i wanted a hog roast but several older family members didnt like pork so went with the other which ever you do will be great but i wouldnt do both together x

• tizmelou
    Beginner September 2012
    tizmelou ·
    • Hide content

Mrs Toosh - Can I come to your wedding pleeeeze - sounds perfectly lush!

We're getting married at 3 and having a sit down for the guests and a hog roast and/or chip butties in the evening with cheese and cake - LOVE the mini fish and chips idea though, wonder if you could do that? You are right - even if people have ate earlier they may well want something later after drinking - but also bear in mind that quite a few people seem to not like pork but I'm thinking that with mine the 'main' guests will have had a meal and with chips, salads, bread cheese bix and cake at least no one will go hungry even if they dont like pork.... i hope!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics