Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amy
Beginner March 2025 Hampshire

Evening food - Good idea or waste of money?

Amy, 10 October, 2024 at 14:07 Posted on Planning 0 3

I am undecided on whether or not to have food in the evening at our wedding. I believe that people will be focused on getting drunk and the food will go to waste but some people have said its nice to have a nibble when you've been out at all day and are dancing off your dinner from earlier. Any advice?

3 replies

Latest activity by PhotographybyBillHaddon, 18 October, 2024 at 13:28
  • Hannah
    Curious September 2025 Durham
    Hannah ·
    • Hide content

I think it's best to provide something as people may be hungry, plus if any guests only attend the evening they'll need something. I think after celebrating and dancing most people will need something. Although I guess depends what time your meal is being served during the day?

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It depends on timing and how long your wedding is lasting - if you're packing up just a couple of hours after the meal finishes, then you can probably get away without, but if you are planning on 4-5 hours of post-meal celebration, then you really do need to provide something.

This assumes all your guests are invited for the whole thing, but it's even more important to provide food if you are having some evening-only guests. Plus, of course, unless your guest list is strictly limited to party animals, not everyone will be focussing on getting drunk - and you may have some guests who don't drink at all for a variety of reasons.

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Lets start with a typical 2pm wedding at a venue with a sit down meal.

2.30 out with drinks, 4 pm call in for food 3 courses with speeches / coffee brings us to 6.30. Then typically the evening food will be served at 9pm - so that's 2.5 hours after main food was eaten ( ok coffee drank).

So that's 1.5 hours mingling drinks and photos after ceremony and allowing 2.5 hours food service and 3 speeches - remember a call in for food at 4pm - means that by the time everyone has had a last fag or gone to the loo - gone to the bar - sauntered in and got seated - - couple announced in then it can easily be 4.30 before you have your first course in front of you.

But yes have some sort of snacks out for people in the evening but unless you have extra evening guests you do not need much unless you have a very early wedding and sit down.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics