Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner June 2015

Evening food what to do?!

Scottish_Sarah, 6 of August of 2014 at 18:56 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on evening food for our wedding next summer, hadn't really thought about it til my bridesmaid mentioned and now I feel in a panic!

All of guests are invited to the entire event so will have had Paella, cake and a cheese tower cake from 5pm onwards (2pm church ceremony), but we don't know what to do for food around 8/9ish in the evening?!!!

Our reception is a bit unique - its a Tithe Wooden barn on a farm in Cambridgeshire - its a working farm so nowehere to cook ourselves. We do not want to have 2 seperate caterers as we really are doing it all on a budget 5K total so were looking at what we could do ourselves/bring out later.

The entire menu earlier is vegetarian/fish and gluten and dairy free (I don't eat meat and want to eat everything at my wedding and we have lots of friends who are gluten intolerant and a few dairy intolerant).

Any suggestions and how much food to provide or what we can provide - so far the best suggestion is sushi platters from Costco and a table of nibbles - dips etc.

Would guests expect another hot meal?

Thanks for all your help

10 replies

Latest activity by Falanga, 22 of May of 2024 at 16:38
  • Curlysuzie
    Beginner September 2014
    Curlysuzie ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't expect another hot meal.

have you looked at marks and Spencer's sandwich platters? Sainsburys do them too. I believe there relatively cheap and deliver them to your venue. We have them done for retirement do's at work. I'm not sure if they do gluten free ones though... X

• N
    Beginner May 2015
    nixy3 ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't expect another hot meal, but something to soak up the alcohol would probably be a good idea. Have you looked into something like a fish and chip van or something similar. If you went with serving food yourself, make sure that you have enough fridges etc to keep it cool and an army of helpers who will bring it all out for you and set it up.

• N
    Beginner May 2015
    nixy3 ·
    • Hide content

I've seen people order in pizzas before, just do a mass order to Dominos!

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

My Fiancee loves the idea of domino's but wouldn't be able to cater for gluten free etc.

Hadn't realised they did party platters thanks, the guys at the farm are very helpful so I'm sure they could provide a fridge. I had thought of a jacket potato man but they don't seem to put prices on their websites!

• Curlysuzie
    Beginner September 2014
    Curlysuzie ·
    • Hide content

Dominos do gluten free! So do Pizza Hut :-)

• N
    Beginner May 2015
    nixy3 ·
    • Hide content

Our Dominos and Pizza Hut both offer gluten free pizzas Smiley laugh

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Ahh I didn't know that!

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

My favourite to make for gluten free/halal/vego/lactose free type friends is veggie Vietnamese summer rolls. You can put anything in from just all veg to also prawn/duck/chicken. They are gluten free as made from rice paper and rice noodles.

You'd need someone to make them on the day though and keep in the fridge.

Other ideas, but depends if you can/cant heat things up in the evening and get friends/relatives to cook :

- gluten free spinach or onion quiche or caramelised onion tart

- gluten free samosas

- veggie kebabs with peanut sauce

- Gluten/meat free sausage rolls

- veggie burgers

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Mmmm I love the idea of ordering loads of pizzas for the evening, we dont have a dominos or anything locally, but our pizza shop is awesome... May see if I can strike a deal with them... It is just an easy idea I love it!

• Jonson15
    Beginner June 2008 Monmouthshire
    Jonson15 ·
    • Hide content

Hello everyone, I often cook food using olive oil and it burns very quickly, tell me how I can avoid this?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics