Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

xMissyLoux
Beginner September 2012

Evening guests and presents

xMissyLoux, 9 of March of 2012 at 08:55 Posted on Planning 0 22

We've got 2 wedding evening receptions to attend this month but have no idea what to get the newly weds!

There's no gift list but I also have no idea what is appropriate/acceptable to spend whether on a present or as a monetary gift in a card!

So any suggestions please ladies? What have you given in the past? Present ideas welcome, although think I'd rather give money as I know I'd prefer our guests to give us money over presents...but how much??

ETA - I should probably say both couples it's the grooms we know. One is OH ex work colleague and the other is an old school friend of OH's. So friends but neither are people we see on a regular basis!

22 replies

Latest activity by xMissyLoux, 10 of March of 2012 at 14:48
  • S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

Hmm, thats a tricky one. If there is no gift list as such, do you know if they have asked the wedding guests for the ceremony for "no gifts but money instead"? If not, why not try something small but personalised for them?

We stock a wide range of gifts for weddings, these would include engraved mirror compacts (for the bride in this case obviously) or engraved hip flasks (which could be either for the groom so you get them a seperate gift each but still together, or the hip flask could be for both, or even a matching pair!) You could get the wedding date engraved on it so that there is no excuse for missing the anniversary ?

Another suggestion is maybe get OH to call the groom and "ask" if there is anything specifc they would like as a present and you may find out that they are asking for money for the house or something Smiley smile

• eweddingcake
    eweddingcake ·
    • Hide content

Hi

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

On previous occasions, I've sometimes asked people who I know are going to the day whether there was anything in their invitation. Lots of people don't like putting gift information in evening invitations. I've then gone along with whatever was in the day invitation.

Otherwise, I've bought:

Heart shaped slate wall hanging thingy

Bottle of champagne

Cash

Vouchers (e.g. for a DIY store when I knew the couple were renovating their house)

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

How much have you spent though?

I have no idea of what's acceptable, for either day or evening guests! I presume you'd spend more as a day guest than an evening guest!

• Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on what you buy and how you are with them. I normally buy gifts as it is less obvious how much you have spent, i would normally spend more if a day guest but not always been the case.

I always like a good vase - you can get ones that look expensive for 10 or 20 pounds. Honestly don't stress to much I really do not think they will analyze it, and if they do they need to get a life!

• L
    Beginner April 2012
    LEMBS8 ·
    • Hide content

I've always tended to give cash as I'm a little unsure of people's personal taste and like you, I know I'd prefer money. I would say as an evening guest I generally give £25 per person (so £50 for me and my partner) and as a day guest I would double it to £100.

Another quite nice option is a dinner voucher to a nice restaurant. It's a nice treat after all the to do with the wedding or something to use on their anniversary.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I know it sounds tight, but we've given £25 to the last two couples we were evening guests at. They didnt have a gift list, nor did they put on the invite that they wanted vouchers or anything.

• SadieButterfly
    Beginner September 2013
    SadieButterfly ·
    • Hide content

As an evening guest if i'm not particularly close to the couple then i'd give between £20-£30, which i feel is a reasonable amount.

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

We tend to give either a nice bottle of champagne or if we know where they're going on honeymoon we change some money over for them x

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

For a couple that we're not especially close to we would spend about £20-£30 too. This can be either a gift, vouchers, cash or a bottle of something. I'd ask them if they have a preference first though, they might have a list or want vouchers or foreign money for their honeymoon but they might feel cheeky putting their requests into an evening invite.

• Hollie1984
    Beginner July 2012
    Hollie1984 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same here! ?

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

£30 for evening usually with a nice little trinkety thing, like a may your home be filled with love door handle hanger or something to put in the card along with the money.

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! I know there must be an 'average unspoken amount of money' that is acceptable/appropriate! £20-30 sounds good to me, I shall see what OH says now when he is home!

Another quickie then...what about if you're a day guest...double?

I know my questions are a bit 'piece of stringy' as depends on the couple getting married and how well off you are yourselves etc but you've given me an excellent 'rough idea' for the amount as an evening guest!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I'd normally give around £30 worth as an evening guest and around £50 as a day guest. For best friends that's more like £100 and for brothers/sisters more like £200.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Exactly what knees said.

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Just admit it, you're trying to figure out how much cash you'll be getting for your wedding! ?

I've given £30 at the last two weddings (evening reception) I've been to. £50 for a day wedding.

H

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I'd agree with generally £20-30 for the evening and about double for the day but to be honest it depends on what I can afford at the time and how close I am to the couple. If I'm skint I'll look for a bargain present rather than giving cash or buying off the gift list and looking tight. We recently attended a family wedding in the highlands and it cost us a small fortune to get there so we just bought them some Le Crusset soup bowls from TK Max for £10.

• D
    Beginner
    Dakota ·
    • Hide content

Maybe it's just me, but I find it a bit...tacky??...that the couple are asking for money when they've not even invited us to the ceremony. We're on the B list and only invited to the evening party.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I don't think the OP's invites have asked for money/gifts, hence why she's asking the question. The couples haven't asked for gifts, the OP wants to buy them something!

• D
    Beginner
    Dakota ·
    • Hide content

In my case they have asked for money.

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. ?

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

WOW enterflora, you're friends and family are lucky to know someone so generous!

We can't warrant £50 for someone we're not that close to and having only been invited to the evening reception!

You're right Nurse, we haven't been asked for anything but wouldn't feel right going empty handed!

Everybody's advice has been very helpful, we've decided on £25 in the cards because of it! And should we ever be a day guest at a wedding would probably give £50 unless it was family!

I feel really bad now as OH's cousin got married last year abroad, no-one was really invited to the wedding not even his own mum but he had a garden BBQ at his parents house when they got back and we only bought them a nice photo frame! Because it seemed like any other family party didn't really put much thought into it and now feel guilty that we should have done more! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics