Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner September 2012

Evening guests transport

MrsRainbowtobe, 4 February, 2012 at 20:54 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hiya,

We have a potential of around 30 people coming to the evening do, the venue is in Cheshire and everyone else is south manchester way so about 30 mins drive. Is it the done thing to organise a mini bus to collect people from a central location or let people make their own way?

x

6 replies

Latest activity by pandorasbox, 5 February, 2012 at 13:10
  • Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

It is not something I have heard of people doing for evening guests - say it would be a nice thing if you can afford it but not the done thing.

• C
    Beginner August 2012
    chloe_chloe ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn´t say it´s the done thing, but it would be nice if you can afford it. Bear in mind though that some people might want to head off earlier. Also people may still need to get cabs or a lift to the pick up / drop off point.

I´m from Cheshire too and at a recent wedding in Adlington my group of friends just pre-booked cabs and shared with others who lived nearby. It never occurred to me that the bride and groom should have arranged something for us. I can´t remember which company we used unfortunately (a friend organised it for us), but they gave us reduced rates seeing as we had booked so many cabs - this might be a good alternative, as you could maybe negotiate a reduced rate and just leave it for people to book and pay for themselves?

• W
    Beginner September 2012
    WoozySoozy ·
    • Hide content

We have this dilemma at the moment.

My MIL is insistent that we provide transport for about 10 people coming from her village (they are about 30 mins away). We are expected to pay for this. Only problem is if we provide and pay for transport for people from one village surely others will expect it too (we have about 20 guests coming from another village about 30 mins in the other direction!)

I jokingly said that the people we don't provide transport for might charge us mileage but she wasn't best pleased.

Why not ask some of the guests if they would like a mini bus organising and depending on your budget they can either all chip in or you pay the cost yourself.

x

• Doris 5/10
    Beginner May 2013
    Doris 5/10 ·
    • Hide content

Whenever we have a party etc we always arrange our own bus and all guests are happy to pay a share. I will probably do the same for our wedding. Living in a small village it's the norm for us to get together and book a bus for nights out. I can't imagine people would mind chipping in if it means they don't have to worry about transport.

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Our venue is a fair distance from the city centre, and we are putting on a bus from the city centre to the venue for eveing guests and then one back for everyone at the end of the night. We have asked for £2 a head towards it (which is waaay cheaper than taxis) and won't cover the whole cost but will make it affordable for us.

Tho, I don't think it is an expected thing! If you could negiatiate a reduced rate with a local taxi firm you could just put the info with invites and leave the guests to it. I always think anything that makes it easier for the guests you want to be there to attend is a good thing, but has to be within your means.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

I would let them make their own way. 30mins is not that far and especially for the evening people won't always be ready to travel at the same time, they'll probably want to come and go as they please.

Having said that if you have the budget and would like to do this then it's a nice gesture, just don't necesarily expect everyone to use it. Maybe canvas their opinions on it to see who'd be interested if you were to provide this before you go ahead and arrange.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our is a similar situation, it's about 45 mins drive and up in the hills so not an easy drive really. We are having a coach from Stockport out to our venue and back, but unfortunately we can't afford to pay for the whole thing. OH has put the deposit down and we are estimating about £10-15 per person depending on how many want to book a place, which is far cheaper than a taxi or hotel. Some couples who are evening guests will probably go for this so they can both have a drink and I think most of OH's mates will appreciate it as they mostly can't drive.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics