Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

mooshy
Beginner April 2014

Evening invitations - work colleagues

mooshy, 21 of February of 2014 at 00:25 Posted on Planning 0 7

My situation is this:

I've worked in my current department for almost 5 years but next week I'm leaving to move to another department. There are a small handful of people I consider I have a close relationship with, many others I am on friendly terms with and some I can't stand. Chances are I will hardly see or speak to most of them again once I've left unless I bump into them in a corridor and it's a big hospital so that won't happen often.

Now obviously they all know I am getting married and have heard me talking about it. A few (mostly who I wouldn't invite!) have asked if I'm having an evening reception and I've said I don't know yet, people know I'm having a small wedding. I would like to invite a few people that I am fond of but I don't want to invite all 20+ of them as there are some I definitely don't want to be there. I would feel a bit awkward just hand picking the ones I want to invite because there are no well kept secrets at work. However now that I'm leaving I'm wondering if I could just discreetly give a few evening invitations out because even if people find out and *** I won't be there to hear them. OH says I should just invite who I want there and sod it because I'm leaving anyway!

Meh, decisions! What are your thoughts?

7 replies

Latest activity by mooshy, 21 of February of 2014 at 17:55
  • S
    Beginner April 2014
    Saskia1983 ·
    • Hide content

Hi mooshy. I was unsure as well as to what to do with work colleagues, I work in a team of approx 10 people. I'm not having separate evening guests, and just thought that there's no way I can invite everyone (and didn't want to as don't particularly like some). So I just thought of who I actually pick to contact in my spare time and who if I left I would actually pick to still see socially and who I would class as a close friend as opposed to colleague! Maybe it's not the best way to do it, but even if other people are pissed off they must know your not actually that good friends and understand money is tight. also as your not going to be seeing them again I wouldn't worry about it!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I think your OH is right. Any comeback is likely to be in terms of gossip that, hopefully, you won't hear so handpick your guests and have just those you like x

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shely ·
    • Hide content

Definitely just invite those people who you would like to share your big day with you, you will be leaving the dept anyway so don't worry about it just do what YOU want to do :-) x

• D
    Beginner April 2014
    DaisyDot ·
    • Hide content

Hey Mooshy!

I'd say just invite who you want to be there, sod the rest of them! I work in a really small office (in a part of a big company) where there are 5 of them including me. I've invited two people plus partners to the whole shebang, one guy is brand spanking new so he was a no-no (invites had already gone out), and the other is someone i'm not overly keen on - he didn't get an invite. I too'd and fro'd about it for ages as I felt so mean, it's like being back at school and inviting the whole class bar one person - that just really isn't me as I hate the idea of exclusion. But the more I thought about it, the more I realised he's not a friend, didn't wish me congrats when I got engaged so he didn't get an invite. I think it's one of my best ever choices in the whole wedding haha. What I'm trying to say is don't invite people for the sake of it. As a bride we all know it's a big deal for us, but chances are those people you're umming and ahhing about may *** about it for a week, but in a few months they won't even care - and in your case you're leaving them all behind Smiley laugh

• Barnett2015
    Beginner April 2015
    Barnett2015 ·
    • Hide content

Hello!

What a coincidence... I work in an organisation with about 30 staff, 15 of which work in the offices and 15 are Front of House staff. I am in an office of 4, one of which is my manager. 3 out of 4 of us get on very well and this morning my manager handed myself and another colleague an all day invite to her wedding. We are delighted! she has only met our partners a couple of times, they havent been invited and i think that is totally fine. She has said they are more than welcome to come to the evening do which is lovely of her. We are thrilled.

So out of 15 she is only asking 2 BUT she gave us the invites when noone else was there (our other colleague is off today) and explained that as we were all so close she would love to have us there, it would mean a lot and that it wasn't that she didn't like anyone else but that she didn't know them as well. Which is completely fair. If i hadn't been invited i wouldn't be resentful, i would have loved to have been asked but understand..it is HER wedding after all!

I think as long as you are discreet (i.e. don't rub it in peoples faces that they aren't invited which im sure you wouldn't do anyway!) about who you ask if you aren't asking everyone i think that is ok.

• Bookish
    Beginner August 2014
    Bookish ·
    • Hide content

I agree with your OH. I'm having similar thoughts but I'm not leaving the department any time soon Smiley sad

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies. You and my OH are right I should just put my big girl pants on and discreetly invite the people I care about. I think I'll leave it until closer to the wedding and then drop by to see the people in question with the invitations.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics