Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

boogiebelle
Beginner August 2009

Evening invites/work people

boogiebelle, 27 May, 2009 at 15:11 Posted on Planning 0 8

I work in quite a small school and generally get on with most people but obvioulsy some a lot better than others.

I'm trying to sort out the evening invitations for people but don't really know what to do. There are a lot of people that I get on with but wouldn't necessarily ever go out with and feel a bit embarassed giving them an invitation but at the same time don't want to give some to some people and not others. What have you all done?

Also, have you put +1 for them too? Again don't know what to do. Numbers would allow but half of them I have never met.

Any advice apprectiated.

8 replies

Latest activity by bec84, 27 May, 2009 at 17:42
  • FIONATS73
    Beginner August 2009
    FIONATS73 ·
    • Hide content

I understand where you are coming from in the same kind of situation, my work invites are the only ones left to do. I am the only the female in our company with 20 men. I have met all there partners/wifes at xmas parties. But as you say I get on with most of them but not all, I don't want to invite one person because we fall out like cat and dog. But I want to invite the others on site. There is 3 people of site I would like invite also. I need to invite my bosses even though I don't think they will come.

So still sitting on this invites at present so will watch this thread with interest

Sorry can not be of any help

x

• Keelz
    Beginner
    Keelz ·
    • Hide content

I work in an office with 4 other people & I'm only inviting one of them, she is like a second mum to me & I see her a lot out of work (also she is making my bridesmaid dresses) so I am invitining her to the Wedding.

The other 3 people I work with will not be getting any invites at all.

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content

We are in a similar situation - h2b is a teacher too! he has invited a few of his colleagues to the evening, and invited partners/wives/husbands. he has only invited those he is close to, as he works in a senior school and otherwise it would be tons of people. it comes to about an additional 30 people to the evening. he has invited his subject boss, even though h2b thinks he is a numpty most of the time....

i'm not inviting any work colleagues, but it's because i've done 3 different placements this year, and am not particularly close to anyone at any of those places.

• Fozzy Bear
    Fozzy Bear ·
    • Hide content

There are over 30 in my team, so I just wrote a communal one out and stood it on a table in the centre office with a reminder e-mail sent out. I get on with most of my team though.

x

• sdaisy22
    Beginner October 2008
    sdaisy22 ·
    • Hide content

I'm a teacher as well. Was lucky in a way that the wedding was quite a distance from where I work so didn't really think people would travel that far just for the evening. I get on well with lots of people at work but as work colleagues iyswim, so I just invited my closest friend and her husband (who we see socially anyway) and my LSA and her husband to the whole day and didn't bother inviting anyone else. I don't think anyone was put out.

We already had 180 people there in the evening, couldn't have fitted everyone in and I didn't want to start inviting some people and not others - e.g. I'm closer to more teachers than I am LSAs but can you imagine the divide if I'd asked all the teachers and none of the LSAs?!

I did toy with the idea of just doing a general invite to everyone (would have included partners) and sticking it up in the staffroom but decided against it in the end just because of numbers.

• ashmegdj
    Beginner August 2009
    ashmegdj ·
    • Hide content

In my department there are about 50 people and I have only invited 3 of them to the evening reception!!! Harsh, moi?!

I have done 2 by themselves as they are really good friends and will come together anyway (and one of their H's is doing our disco) and the other I have done +1. I didn't want to write her H's name as they have been talking about splitting up for a while now.

The other place I work I have invited all of the other staff and their partners as there is only 6 members of staff. I get on well with all of them unlike in my other job!!

HTH.

• summer_sparkles
    Beginner August 2009
    summer_sparkles ·
    • Hide content

I invited two of my work friends to the whole day, they've been really great with planning the little details and have been really enthusiastic, then for the evening I've got a couple of girls I gossip with and the consultants...I don't expect they'd come but it would be cool if they did.

• S
    Beginner September 2010
    sherbert ·
    • Hide content

I'm kind of in the same situation, I work in a place that has about 30 or so staff members and my H2B works in the same place but for a different company. So I know both groups of people. There are people that I definately want to invite and some I know I don't. I have thought about it a lot and I think I will put an invite on the noticeboard. I would like to think that certain people wouldn't turn up because they don't really know me or talk to me that much. I'm not really worried about partners because I think that most people will come with their work friends.

It is a difficult situation though, someone will always be offended.

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

I've been trying to decide this as well...I work remotely, theres about 20 on my team, but our reception is 120 miles away and on a sunday so I'm trying to figure out what to do!!!!

Sorry, I'm no help as I'm after the same answer!! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics