Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Daisy82
Beginner

Evening Reception Guests

Daisy82, 5 April, 2010 at 21:29 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi all,

I was round at my MIL2B's this afternoon and we were discussing the wedding (as you do) and we got to talking about an evening wedding do that my SIL2B and her boyfriend are attending. He said that he was going to wear jeans and a shirt. Now am I just getting old or being too fussy but I didn't think this was acceptable. Now I'm wondering if people will turn up to mine in jeans. I bloody hope not!

So OH and I have decided we will put no denim in the evening invite. I really hoped I wouldn't have to dictate a dress code but I might have to. I know we live in the country and it's not a super fancy wedding but I really thought that people would see the word "wedding" and make an effort.

Has anyone else had this dilema and what did you do?

Sorry this turned into a bit of a rant.

Vicki x

13 replies

Latest activity by Daisy82, 6 April, 2010 at 18:51
  • Princess_Dimples
    Beginner August 2013
    Princess_Dimples ·
    • Hide content

I see what you saying, but I wouldn't like to stop wearing jeans as some men do wear them smartly. My OH for instance quite often wears what he calls his smart jeans (not ripped etc) with a shirt, black shoes and a suit jacket. He looks very nice, and I would be happy for anyone attending my wedding like that!

Obviously this is personal opinion, think everyone is different.

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

I can totally see what you're saying Chelle and that wouldn't bother me. Might need to change wording to smart dress. That might work.

• Princess_Dimples
    Beginner August 2013
    Princess_Dimples ·
    • Hide content

Yeah that sounds a good idea, might do that myself... although my friends might find it funny to turn up in hoodies for a laugh!!!

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya Mrs, Going well. finally got my BM dress so can stop stressing about that one. just trying to get suits and ties for the men sorted.

How's your planning going?

Chelle - I can see my friends turning up in hoodies now too! it would make me smile!! x

• kj82
    Beginner December 2010
    kj82 ·
    • Hide content

I personally don't mind what my guests wear for the evening do (as long as no one else turns up in a wedding dress lol!!)

I do think that you will need to make it clear on the invites though! I know half of our friends wouldn't listen if we just tell them!!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We went to an evening reception for an overseas wedding a few weeks ago and automatically put on smart weddingy dress... the BEST MAN (!) turned up in jeans and a check shirt!!!

He was so embarrased that he stuck out that he went home and got changed!!!

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

I know hair and makeup is a fortune! Just hope she's worth the money i'm forking out for that one.

My BM dress
    It's a Dessy, and it's in a much brighter blue.

You're pretty much sorted now. Wish I was. My mum has decided she's going to make the favours. Glad in a way but such a control freak that it's hard to let anything go. lol x

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

I really don't think my friends will but it's those randoms you fell you ought to invite that might were jeans and a tshirt that concern me. They probably won't turn up anyway! x

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I have. My BM (also my sister) is organising a weekend in Edinburgh. So I get to go back home to Scotland for mine! But thats all I know. I'm not allowed to know anything which is driving me nuts! But i'm also really excited about it! x

I know we're doing some kind of activity but not pole dancing or anything like that as she knows that would not go down well plus my mum is coming and that is an image i don't need in my head is my mum pole dancing!!!!

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear - you can't dictate what peoplww ear for the evening?? I actually hate it when people have that one invitations as my OH looks much nicer in "smart" jeans and a nice shirt.

The evening reception is a party so jeans are highly acceptable unless you specify a smart dress code.

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice. I might need to reconsider putting it in at all! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics