Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

O
Beginner July 2011

Evening venue in Durham

onlytook10years, 11 August, 2010 at 17:19 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hello ladies, I'm new here and desperate for help!

To give you some background;

My h2b and I out of the blue decided to book our wedding abroad a couple of weeks ago. We booked it, then promptly told the whole family (both sides). We explained that we were not going to have any family/friends present, because tbh we selfishly don't want to have to worry about anyone else - it's our day afterall! So the plan is to have a big party a week or so after we get back which will be the equivalent of the evening do had we got married here. Therein lies the problem.

We have very distinct ideas of what we want, and nowhere seems to be able to accomodate us or even offer a compromise. We need somewhere to hold around 200 people and have space for dancing/disco. Everywhere we've tried will not hire us the room without us taking a catering package - which we most certainly do not want. Please can anyone suggest a venue that will be happy for 200 people to spending all night at the bar without wanting to put a crappy buffet on? Is it so much to ask for??

3 replies

Latest activity by car822499, 12 August, 2010 at 11:55
  • bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

Not sure of a venue in Durham...I'm from Stockton originally.

We got married abroad and had the same issue - we ended up using our friends Pub but he did the catering.

Welcome to hitched btw x

• gemchoo
    Beginner May 2012
    gemchoo ·
    • Hide content

What kind of place are you looking for? a country hall / pub / social club?

we had our engagement party at a community hall type place (better than it sounds). lots of people have weddings there too and make it look lovely. It's £120 for room hire (unless that's changed since Feb). The ballroom (great big hall with stage for a DJ) has a huge dance floor and the bar area is a decent size too in an adjoining room AND we ultimatley picked it because they'd let you do your own catering! (My mam and MIL to be did it for us!)

if this is any good let me know if you want any more details (just of A19 next to Dalton Park)

Gem xx

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Hello

What style of venue are you after? Just been wracking my brains trying to think of a venue which is nice but is flexible. One that might be worth a try is Bishop Auckland Town Hall - think they cater for events other than weddings so might be able to help

Ali x

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    car822499 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Was this at the Glebe Centre at Murton by any chance Gem? If it was, I've been there and yes, it's nicer than it sounds. Lovely big hall with a stage and a smaller room where people can chill out away from the noise of a disco etc.

Our evening do is at Hatfield College opposite Durham Cathedral. It's run by Event Durham as part of the university but I'm not sure what their policy is on food etc. They only hire in university holidays though. It might be worth giving them a ring as they are very helpful.

Car. x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics