Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner August 2015

Ex has married at same venue

PrincessPeach2015, 19 of October of 2014 at 15:03 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hi i could do with some advice. I found out yesterday through Facebook (sometimes I hate Facebook!) that my future husband's ex has just got married at our wedding venue.
For a bit of background this is an ex from a few years before we were together, they were a couple for 6 years and he was very committed to her, moved around for her work and then she possibly cheated on him and left. They remained friends on facebook and saw each other for birthdays. To cut a long story short he is no longer friends with her as she would stick her nose in to our relationship and on more than one occasion had me wondering why I had to put up with her when she is from his past not the present or future. Anyway so as they aren't in contact I know it is just an unfortunate coincidence that they have married and had the reception at the same place we have booked for next year. I just can't help but feel disappointed and upset that I have seen her in the pictures that I have been dreaming of. It obviously takes a lot of planning and preperation for a wedding and to think that his annoying ex has already been there and done that is a let down. I feel that on our wedding day she will have sat where I'm sitting and ate the same food and had the same pictures where we are having them. I understand people have exes I just prefer them not to encroach on our life together and this just seems like the final last laugh. My bridesmaid, mum and FH dont see it as a big deal but I just can't get passed it for some reason. If anyone has any input or has been in a similar position I would be grateful for some advice. How to get passed something that I have found to be a big disappointment,

Hi i could do with some advice. I found out yesterday through Facebook (sometimes I hate Facebook!) that my future husband's ex has just got married at our wedding venue.

For a bit of background this is an ex from a couple of years before we were together, they were a couple for 6 years and he was very committed to her, moved around for her work and then she possibly cheated on him and left. They remained friends on facebook and saw each other for birthdays. To cut a long story short, he is no longer friends with her as she would stick her nose in to our relationship and on more than one occasion had me wondering why I had to put up with her when she is from his past, not the present or future. Anyway so as they aren't in contact I know it is just an unfortunate coincidence that she has now married and had the reception at the same place we have booked for next year. I just can't help but feel disappointed and upset that I have seen her in the pictures that I have been dreaming of. It obviously takes a lot of planning and preperation for a wedding and to think that his annoying ex has already been there and done that is a let down. I can't stop thinking that on our wedding day she will have sat where I'm sitting and ate the same food and had the same pictures where we are having them. I understand people have exes I just prefer them not to encroach on our life together and this just seems like the final last laugh.

My bridesmaid, mum and FH don't see it as a big deal but I just can't get passed it for some reason. If anyone has any input or has been in a similar position I would be grateful for some advice.

18 replies

Latest activity by Ci, 30 of July of 2023 at 09:11
    Beginner April 2014
    **Claire** ·
    • Hide content

Not quite the same, but I bumped into my ex bf's sister's partner at a wedding fayre at our venue, they were getting married there the next week. It was a bit weird but I forgot about it. I know your situation is more weird but I'm sure in a few weeks you will forget about it. Your wedding will be different decorations, colours each etc.

• SaraPoppy
    Dedicated July 2020
    SaraPoppy ·
    • Hide content

I think I would feel a bit put out by this too. You could just use it as inspiration to make your wedding bigger and better? I know that sounds a bit petty but it will make you feel better! Make her wish she had thought of the things you did and wish her photos were as good as yours ;-) With regards to having the last laugh, you're marrying you're fiancé! The one she let get away. If she was still interested enough to make contact after the break up this will effect her on some level. But the main thing is for you to enjoy special day ?

• sweetlikechocolate
    Dedicated May 2016
    sweetlikechocolate ·
    • Hide content

I completely understand how you feel. I would feel the same way. I would not even want a friend to get married at my venue let alone my H2Bs ex. I do feel its MY venue. I am very possessive about it. Bridezillaish? Definitely yes. But thats how I feel. About most of my stuff I have booked for the wedding actually.

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    PrincessPeach2015 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your replies. Its nice to know I'm not crazy for feeling like this and you would feel the same too. I just wish she wasn't connected to our venue at all, I can't believe out of all the places she could have got married it had be ours.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Every wedding is different. I photograph weddings at the same venues and they are still different.

Invest in the best photographer you can afford to make sure your day looks better than hers!

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

I totally understand! My h2b was with someone for 9 years before we met. They ended on bad terms & dont speak. We found out via fb (bloody thing, hate it! Deleted my account a few months ago) that she got engaged (2months after we did) I keep saying to h2b 'have you seen anything on fb about where shes getting married? It better not be our venue' lol. So i totally get how you feel. Xx

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I must admit I'd really struggle if I was in your shoes. Only you know if you and your oh can live with this. On one hand, don't compromise what you want. Make it all the better because every wedding is unique, or decide to change your venue and all that entails, including them seeing that they've had this effect on you. Good luck hun. Feel for you. Xx

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    PrincessPeach2015 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all your replies, its really helping hearing how you would all feel in this situation and the similar types of situations you all have had.

I have started looking at other venues again. If this had come to light before we had booked then there would be no question, I would choose a different place but as we have paid a decent amount on deposits for the venue and registrar, photographer, transport, band etc it will mean we will lose money trying to rearrange at a different venue. I just don't know what's best and the longer I leave it the harder it will get to change venues (our wedding is Aug '15). I just don't want to regret the decision either way. I may end up regretting letting it effect me and changing venues or I may leave it and then wish I had changed it on the day.

Myself and my partner are not friends with her on Facebook, I just happened to see it via a new work colleague (the world really is a small place!) I knew even from the little thumbnail that it was our venue and couldn't help but look just to confirm my initial thought!

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

^^WSS

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

It might not be the same but me and oh got invited to his best friends wedding (who was his best man when he previously got married) they got married at the place my oh married his ex wife. At 1st I thought i would of felt upset and peed off all day but it didn't bother me one bit. The reason why was because I was there with him and his past was his past. I stood and watch them cut the cake where he would of we stayed the night in the hotel and went for breakfast where they would of and just to make it even better she was there at the night do. The way I saw it was everyone has a past and s**t happens. He was with me now and marrying me and the venue and who else was there didn't matter.

If we all looked into things we would probably find someone who knows someone that we didn't like got married in our venue. If u live in a small town as well it might be harder to find nice venues.

Dont let it ruin ur plans because to be honest she's not worth it and once u there enjoying ur day she won't cross ur mind!

Time to look to the future because the past is the past there's nothing u can do about it just don't let it ruin ur future.

Xx

• jayannfernandez
    jayannfernandez ·
    • Hide content

It could really be annoying as she "might" think you're copying her ideas or maybe you wouldn't want to have the same taste as her. However, these are just all in our head. I guess it's best to let go of it because the most important part is you are getting married with the one you love. She is an ex so you are the lucky woman. You like the venue so much? then go for it! when the big day comes, I assure you, it will never cross your mind Smiley smile

• H
    Beginner June 2015
    HC2015 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with *JoJo85*. I think its completely natural that you feel disappointed about having found this out, but I think its also important to remember that the ex hasn't don't anything wrong by getting married at this venue before you - she's probably the one who would feel annoyed by it! So there shouldn't really be any reason to hold any hostility towards her - as you say its just a bit of an unfortunate coincidence.

So if you take a step back and think about what this actually means, maybe you'll see its not such a big deal. Other than the feeling of disappointment you have (which is understandable, given the history), there is nothing which will actually ruin your big day - its not like she's invited, or she's getting married on the same day and inviting mutual friends, and your fiancé has done nothing wrong either. The point I'm getting at is that its all within your control to make your special day everything you've dreamed of. Who cares if she got married there first? She didn't have your friends and family there, or certainly your man! So start dreaming about photos of these instead, because they are what matters.

I can completely sympathise with a situation with lingering exes (fortunately not with my H2B) and how you cant help but feel slightly competitive with them. But she's out of your lives now, and I bet she wasn't thinking of you or your fiancé on her wedding day - so you shouldn't think about her either. Don't let this change any decisions you would otherwise make about your wedding, and just be happy and content that you are getting to marry the man you love!

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

This^^^^^^

Couldn't have said it better.

You clearly liked the venue so why shouldn't you get married there. The photos won't look the same. You're different people with a different photographer and different guests.

You have nothing to do with her and neither does your OH. it's unfortunate and i understand you're uncomfortable about it, but imo changing your entire wedding would give her a more important place in your life than she deserves.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

It's perfectly understandable that you feel aggrieved that your Fiance's significant ex has married at a place you feel to be 'your venue'. It's understandable becasue many of us get a little over-invested in planning our weddings (myself included) but you must know that your FH, Mum and bridesmaid are completely right and it should make no difference to you. You are marrying the man you love: it really doesn't matter who has walked on the venue carpet previously! i hope you can put this behind you quickly so you can get on with your day, your wedding, your groom!

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    PrincessPeach2015 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for everyone's advice. It has really helped getting everyone's perspective. We went for the food tasting at our venue the other night and it was so good and the service was fantastic that I have put all the worries I had to the back of my mind. It is such a great venue and we have chosen it for our own special reasons so I'm not going to change that Smiley smile

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Fab news! So glad you had a good time at the tasting and fell back in love with the venue!!

You'll have an amazing day.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Good for you!! Well done Smiley smile x

• Ci
    Beginner May 2024 West Sussex
    Ci ·
    • Hide content
    I’ve found out my fiancés ex is getting married at same venue only a week before us!!! Gutted to say the least! We are trying to move the date as don’t won’t go give up the venue but it’s definitely tarnished it for me! Some people say she’s done it on purpose as she knew which venue we chose grrr

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics