Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*ginni of the lamp*

Ex sports stars becoming commentators-good and bad

*ginni of the lamp*, 12 of August of 2008 at 12:35

Posted on Off Topic Posts 46

Inspired by some of the comments on BGB's thread on 'I'm in it for the experience'. Which ex sports stars do you think have made a successful leap to commentating and which haven't? For me, I love Michael Johnson, he speaks such a lot of sense, and non-Olympics-wise, Mark Nicholas (cricket). I can't...

Inspired by some of the comments on BGB's thread on 'I'm in it for the experience'.

Which ex sports stars do you think have made a successful leap to commentating and which haven't?

For me, I love Michael Johnson, he speaks such a lot of sense, and non-Olympics-wise, Mark Nicholas (cricket). I can't stand Sally Gunnell's TV work, she's so dull, and Sharron Davies too.

46 replies

• vicbic
    Beginner September 2003
    vicbic ·
    • Hide content

I quite like Alison Curbishley on fivelive (I think thats her name) She was comparatively rubbish on the track, but has ended up being a pretty good commentator.

I like the Blue Peter guy, whose name escapes me. Much more real, and less of a perfectionist compared to the others.

Gary Richardson though, not a past sportsmen, is a complete and utter tosser. I hate him with a passion.

Steve Parry, the scouse swimming guy is good, and ultra-enthusiastic! ?

• E
    emmali ·
    • Hide content

Whilst I quite like John Barnes as a personality he really cannot read an autocue for toffee. Whatever Five were/are paying him was too much.

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

VS, mark foster is gay.

• V
    Beginner September 2005
    Viva Suzi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

At the time I knew him he was dating girls (he was with that female swimmer for ages - not Karen Pickering the other one)- whether that be to cover up he was gay, I wouldn't know. So he is openly gay now?

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

Elton john was married wasnt he? [laugh

he s gay. he s with colin jackson. and no, not openly.

• Emsy Truff
    Beginner
    Emsy Truff ·
    • Hide content

My favourite players turned pundit / commentator are David Pleat, Martin O'Neill, Gary Linekar and Stan Collymore (for pure hilarity). I really can't bear to listen to Alan Shearer, Andy Gray or Mark Lawrenson.

I can only really comment on football as I don't watch enough of other sports to really know the pundits very well.

ETA: Can I also include Stuart Hall please, although his sporting career was incredibly short, technically he did have one before he started commentary.

• KJX
    Beginner August 2005
    KJX ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

"You've got to hold and give
    But do it at the right time
    You can be slow or fast
    But you must get to the line
    They'll always hit you and hurt you
    Defend and attack
    There's only one way to beat them
    Get round the back
    Catch me if you can
    Cos' I'm the England man
    And what you're looking at
    Is the master plan
    We ain't no hooligans
    This ain't a football song
    Three lions on my chest
    I know we can't go wrong"

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

Sory i meant not openly in the relationship, but he is openly gay

• V
    Beginner September 2005
    Viva Suzi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They did used to go shopping together in Waitrose a lot.......so Mr Gay Sportperson Expert, are the Kelly Holmes rumours true?

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

no idea ?

i just really wish that gay or straight or whatever, that they just say so if asked. its 2008, not 1978

• Sparkley
    Beginner September 2007
    Sparkley ·
    • Hide content

Is Kelly Holmes Gay?

Whatever, she is rubbish on that cereal advert.

• teenybash
    Beginner February 2008
    teenybash ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

exactly - the people of hitched demand to know!

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

I've never understood why folk are bothered when they find out a celebrity, sportsperson etc are gay. Surely you can still fancy them as it's pretty unlikely they will be knocking at your door for a night of passion anyway. ?

• firsttimemum
    firsttimemum ·
    • Hide content

Mrs M .. you never know!

Quite a few years back there was a lady that came to my mum's shop who told us she was being romanced by Pierce Brosnan - he was filling her living room with roses !!! this all apparently when he was pictured with Keely (his now wife) in Hello

I think she was seriously deluded - especially where she lived and the fact that every week she would say she was filming another fitness video

still she gave us a good laugh

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics