Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cazpot88
Curious August 2025 Greater Manchester

Ex wife at wedding

Cazpot88, 9 of February of 2024 at 11:02 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 13
Hey beauts, I don't know if this is the right section to post this in

Me and my fiance have decided to invite his ex wife and her partner to our wedding in August 2025
The reason is because my stepdaughters are both autistic; the youngest is nonverbal, the eldest has mid range and we feel it'll help our girls having their mum there, but just at the reception. Their grandparents (my in laws) will be at the ceremony, and it won't be long because it'll be at our local registry office
They live near Portsmouth, and we live in Manchester
Are we being unreasonable inviting them but only letting them come to the reception?
Let me know your thoughts

13 replies

Latest activity by Greeny, 20 of May of 2024 at 08:15
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Are they likely to have any understanding of what the ceremony involves? If not, it is only going to cause confusion for them, so I think it's fine just to invite them to the reception.

If they will be able to understand what is involved in the ceremony, then would it be possible for their grandparents to care for them for the short time it is taking place and for their mother to take over after that?

• Leanne
    Savvy June 2024 Staffordshire
    Leanne ·
    • Hide content
    Firstly I think it’s lovely that you are doing this , sounds like things are amicable ☺️ . It’s so nice to see that you are considering what’s in your stepdaughter’s best interests . You know them best , are they likely to become overwhelmed during the ceremony ? Would it feel a little awkward if their mum was present at the ceremony too ? Is it unpractical for them to attend the ceremony and reception due to the travel ? I think what you have suggested is a really nice compromise if for whatever reasons them being present at the ceremony won’t work . But if it’s a short ceremony and you feel that they would be ok with attending and providing you are comfy with their mum and her partner present then sure invite them to both . I’d just suggest to make your decision on what is best for the girls , you clearly only have their best interests at heart ❤️
  • Cazpot88
    Cazpot88 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah we're gonna talk to them about it this weekend, cos were heading down there to see them.
    We'd love them to be junior bridesmaids, and I've got their dresses picked out. The girls would be at both the ceremony and the reception.

I meant letting their mum and her partner just come to the reception, so sorry for the confusion
    It's a 3pm Ceremony we're having
  • Leanne
    Savvy June 2024 Staffordshire
    Leanne ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sounds wonderful and I think it’s more than reasonable then to just have their mum and her partner at the reception . How lucky are these little girls to have you for their stepmum in addition to both parents ☺️
  • Cazpot88
    Cazpot88 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awww thanks beaut that means a lot 🥰 Yeah things are good between all four of us, me and Chris have video calls with the girls in between going down to see them every 6-8 weeks, with their mum and when his parents have them 😁

Travel and accommodation won't be a problem, there's a few hotels just down the road from where we live, and the reception is only 10-15 minutes from our ceremony venue; were sorting that this week
    We'd love the girls to be junior bridesmaids, but if things get too much, we'll be prepared with something to keep them distracted. I think they'd be OK, the only thing is that the youngest never stays still lol 😂
    They're amazing girls, and I'm proud to be their stepmum ❤️
    We think it'd be weird having the mum at the ceremony, but their grandparents will be there, so at least they'll have someone familiar there
    And at the reception there's a quiet room where they can go to if it gets too overwhelming xxx
  • Cazpot88
    Cazpot88 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aww thank you so much, I'm so blessed 🥰

The girls are absolute angels, and my fiance is an incredible dad 💖
    Their mum is absolutely fine with just being at the reception 😁
    Roll on the wedding 💍 xxxx
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

That sounds like a really great compromise having their mum and partner just at the reception.

As for being bridesmaids, at that age, it's not as if they have to 'do' anything, so I'd just find them something junior-bridesmaid-appropriate to wear and play it by ear on the day - if they're ok with it, they can walk down the aisle like bridesmaids, and if it's too much for them, then they can just sit (or jump up and down Smiley laugh ) and watch.

• Katrina
    Dedicated February 2025 West Midlands
    Katrina ·
    • Hide content
    This is lovely 😍 you will be a great step mum!♡
  • Cazpot88
    Cazpot88 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much beaut, means the world 🥰🥰 xxx
  • Shree
    Curious March 2019 Karnataka
    Shree ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely! It's considerate to invite your fiance's ex-wife and her partner to your wedding reception, especially for your stepdaughters' sake. Since they stay far away and your priority is your family's comfort, it's completely reasonable to have them be part of the reception. Ultimately, it is about what feels right for you and your loved ones. Trust your instincts and enjoy your specific day!

• Guerci
    Beginner April 2024 New York
    Guerci ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm, that's a tricky situation. I can understand where you're coming from, wanting to make things as easy and comfortable as possible for your stepdaughters on your big day. Including their mom and her partner at the reception could definitely help with that.

At the same time, I can see how it might feel a bit uncomfortable or awkward to have your fiancé's ex there, even just for the reception. Weddings can be emotionally charged events, so it's understandable to want to keep the ceremony itself more intimate.

My advice would be to have an open and honest conversation with your fiancé about your concerns and considerations. Make sure you're both on the same page and feel good about the decision. You could also reach out to the ex-wife directly to explain your thought process and see if she's amenable to just attending the reception.

Ultimately, I think you have to do what feels right for your family. If including the ex-wife and her partner at the reception is truly the best thing for your stepdaughters, then it's probably worth navigating the awkwardness. But make sure you and your fiancé are comfortable with it too. Wishing you all the best with your wedding planning!

• Guerci
    Beginner April 2024 New York
    Guerci ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm, that's a tricky situation. I can understand where you're coming from, wanting to make things as easy and comfortable as possible for your stepdaughters on your big day. Including their mom and her partner at the reception could definitely help with that. At the same time, I can see how it might feel a bit uncomfortable or awkward to have your fiancé's ex there, even just for the reception. Weddings can be emotionally charged events, so it's understandable to want to keep the ceremony itself more intimate. Ultimately, I think you have to do what feels right for your family. If including the ex-wife and her partner at the reception is truly the best thing for your stepdaughters, then it's probably worth navigating the awkwardness. But make sure you and your fiancé are comfortable with it too. Wishing you all the best with your wedding planning! My advice would be to have an open and honest conversation with your fiancé about your concerns and considerations. Make sure you're both on the same page and feel good about the decision. You could also reach out to the ex-wife directly to explain your thought process and see if she's amenable to just attending the reception.
    Smiley heart Smiley heart Smiley heart

• D
    Beginner August 2024 East London
    Doris ·
    • Hide content

Hello to all. The bride wants to look perfect at her wedding and is looking for the best dress for herself. A girl can always buy an excellent wedding dress in the JJsHouse online store, which offers a huge range of dresses for any budget. To learn more about this online store, every future bride can read the information here jjshouse and perhaps buy her wedding dress from them.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics