Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner August 2011

Ex-Hippy Mother of the Bride Panic!

BonitoBot, 11 May, 2011 at 14:06 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi, I'm a newbie, so apologies if this has already been discussed as a thread before!

I am in a mild panic about what to put my mum in for the big day. She's an ex-hippy who has hung up her kaftans but really won't like most of the standard mother of the bride outfits available.

I want her to look smart, but a bit different. She doesn't want to wear a dress/skirt, or a hat, or a fascinator. I'm kind of being pushed down the route of a linen trouser suit but nothing I've found seems suitable.

She's a size 12-14, roughly 5'4 and doesn't want to wear heels. Tricky this one...

Any advice is gratefully received!

10 replies

Latest activity by happy_feet, 11 May, 2011 at 15:31
  • Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Tell me to eff off, but why cant she find something herself, why are you having to look for an outfit? Surely its her choice?

• B
    Beginner August 2011
    BonitoBot ·
    • Hide content

I see where you're coming from but without going into too much detail, getting her into a clothes shop is very difficult.

I just need some ideas to send her way.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS surely you have enough to worry about!

• B
    Beginner August 2011
    BonitoBot ·
    • Hide content

Ah Naboo, my favourite Shaman.

My mum has a gastric illness that is triggered by stress. She gets stressed about going clothes shopping. I'm just trying to make things easier for her. I'm the most laid back bride on earth, but this is the only thing that's really bothering me.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Haha yeah someone who knows who I am, most people on here thought my avatar was Kemal off Big Brother (Ihavent forgotton Mooey!!!)

Hmm tis a bit of a tricky one then, I dont really know where to suggest looking, I am really not a big fan of a lot of the mother of the bride stuff i saw (luckily neither was Mum) and the nice stuff people have flashed on here before always seems to be skirts and dresses. Where does your mum usually shop at? Would they do a dressy trouser suit, If your wedding is in summer would she maybe consider a nice maxi dress? Just thinking coupld find one to suit her hippy typ style and would look lovely and seasonal?

• B
    Beginner August 2011
    BonitoBot ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Naboo... Give my regards to Bollo.

If she gets to the shops at all it's M&S, but I've had a look online today and whilst there are some nice suits on there, but they're all quite work-orientated.

I think a maxi-dress could be an option, especially because she doesn't like the heat so it'll help to keep her cool.

Thanks for the advice ?

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

There are some nice Maxi-dresses in M&S at the moment - or how about Next online?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

He he, I gotta bad feeling about this...

Anyway, a maxi dress sounds like a lovely idea. And a nice little cardi to go with it? Some chunky jewellery in a pleasingly ethnic stylee and she'll think she's in Woodstock! Sans doobie, of course.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

T'internet sounds perfect. Can you look at things online together and make some inspired choices between you?

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

I see. Yes how about a maxi dress with a bolero style/cardi cover up?

• happy_feet
    Beginner
    happy_feet ·
    • Hide content

My mum was a bit concerned with typical outfits don't suit her, or her shape (she is very concerned about her belly!) we found her a lovely black and white maxi dress from Debenhams, and only £55, doesn't look so good on the website, but maybe you could internet shop with your mum, buy a few extra bits, and then return the ones you dont want?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics