Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Charliebob
Beginner May 2016

Expectations Vs. Reality - Selling Wedding Items On..

Charliebob, 8 of April of 2016 at 09:22 Posted on Planning 0 6

I just wanted to start a discussion about it and see what other views and opinions other people have. I am not intending to upset anyone, but it's just something I have noticed whilst wedding planning.

Since getting engaged I have used sites like Hitched, Ebay, Bride2Bride, SellMyWedding, GumTree, Facebook Pages etc. to look at second hand items and also to nab a bargain from time to time.

One thing I have noticed is that so many people expect so much money for their second hand things! Dresses is obviously a big one and it's such a shame so many beautiful dresses are sitting there waiting to be worn again - but I feel some people expect way too much money.

I understand you may have spent £1500 or more on your wedding dress, that was your decision. If you then want to sell it on, you can't expect some to then pay £1200 for it when it has been altered to your measurements. I know in some circumstances this may work if it's a sought after make and model, but there are so many mediocre dresses that people expect back what they paid for them!

I already have my dress, from a shop, which I paid £675. I haven't decided what I will do afterwards with it, but if I do I wouldn't then put £500 for it or anywhere close to that.

I have also seen Wedding dresses from the 80's trying to sell for £400+!! I'm sure they were stunning back then, and you are very fond of it, I just don't get how people expect it to sell for ridiculous amounts.

I feel it's such a shame that people that are on a budget then have to look at places like China for their dresses when in fact they could get a second hand dress for that price (£100-£200) but so many are reluctant to sell them for that price.

The thing is with Wedding Dresses is that we are all so different, we all have different tastes, likes, body shapes, and finding that someone to risk spending fortunes on your dress is such a slim chance. Whereas if it was cheaper, they may feel they can risk it or spend more altering it.

The other thing is decor or other bits for the wedding, some spend fortunes on shoes (Yes, we all love a pair of Jimmy Choos) but who is going to buy them all scruffed up and dirty from your wedding day just because you've knocked £50 off them?

Same with decor I see so often people have bought things like chair covers, sashes, chalk boards, lanterns, bunting, etc and when you look into the real cost of things you may end up paying the same as new or just a tad bit less.

So basically what I am saying is it seems such a shame that people are sitting on so much unwanted wedding stuff when you could just lower the expectations and help out other brides to have a wonderful day too and keep their costs down. I'm not saying give it away for free, but if you really don't want something it's better to get back a little something than nothing at all (Because the longer it sits there the quicker it devalues).

I'm not meaning to hurt anyones feelings it's up to you what you want to do at the end of the day, and of course there will be some success stories. I'm not a scrounger or want things for free, it's just I have noticed that along the way of planning there were so many occasions I went to buy second hand items (Would rather give my money to another bride for their future, or honeymoon etc than some store) but then realised for the same price or £5-10 more I can get something brand spanking new!

So yeah, does anyone agree or have an success stories etc? Anyways thanks for reading.

6 replies

Latest activity by Scottish_Sarah, 9 of April of 2016 at 10:23
  • L
    Beginner March 2016
    LuxuriousGoldDiamonds273 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure why it bothers you so much? It's up to them what they ask for and I'm sure they'll lower their price if they don't get offers. Everyone expects to be pushed down on their asking price so you may as well start a bit higher.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agreed.

When you're a seller, you're trying to get the best price for what you have. This is especially true for Gumtree or the like where people can message an offer. Most people are selling because they're recouping costs rather than some altruistic reason.

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

My dress was by far the most extravagant thing I have for this wedding, but my parents paid for it. It (+ my shoes, I guess) are also the only things we'll have at the end that will be unusable going forward - we're hiring everything else.

The dress was (gulp) £1800 and obviously if I do sell it on afterwards (and give the money back to my parents!) I'd want to get as much for it as possible... but likewise I had enough trouble getting rid of unworn shoes for £20 so understand that you need to have realistic expectations.

You might as well try and get the most you can; people can only ask for you to lower the cost if they want the item that badly.

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

I find this is true of people selling all sorts of designer goods, not just wedding stuff. A lot of people have an unrealistic view of the secondhand market. If you have an item that is sentimental to you or a brand you are very loyal to then you are going to value it higher than someone who doesn't have that connection. I don't think this is the majority of sellers at all, but there are also some people who spend more than they can afford, assuming they will sell everything and recoup the costs, so they charge prices that aren't always realistic. But if someone is willing to buy at that price, then more power to them. You don't know what you can get if you don't ask. And this goes both ways. Don't be afraid to offer lower than the asking price. If they sell can't shift the item they may come back to you and accept your offer later.

Ultimately, when you buy something new, especially a designer item, you are paying for a guarantee that the product you receive is exactly the product you've ordered, customer service, and a lot of other benefits. These benefits come at a premium. If an item is sold secondhand and those benefits are no longer valid, a good seller will adjust the price accordingly, as well as taking into account the physical condition of the item. With wedding items you may be dealing with sellers who have never sold items on the secondhand market before, so it's not surprising that goods are valued higher. If someone is motivated to sell and not getting any interest they will eventually lower their price.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I agree with you! I see a lot of brides trying to sell items 2nd hand as I admin several large Facebook wedding groups.

I usually advise them to try selling a dress for 30-40% of the "as new" designers list price. I know of brides who spend a year trying to sell dresses, even when they are quite realistic about the price.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

Ive seen 1 or 2 of the 80s dresses for sale for £100's to and laughed my ass off, you can buy them in the charity shop for £5 lol but its funny not angry ?

but I dont get why you seem so offended by this, its either funny (because of the delusion) or non of my business and gets skipped over... I look at 2nd hand dresses a lot because I love vintage stuff and if some wants a rediculous amount I dont even see it because I set my filters at an affordable range

as for decor im not sure what you mean... I see lots of people offering spare bits as 'free to collect' or for a couple of pound but actually as long as its the same condition you could totally make your money back... you can buy or make (if you good at crafts) manzita trees for about £20 then its fair to sell them for £20ish again if their not damaged it would still cheaper that the £50 most places hire them for ☹️

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

I spent ages going though these websites trying to find reasonable price decor stuff in the end I think I only spent £5 which was on a sign and some hearts.

I found it cheaper to use car boot sales where I picked up beautiful crockery, jars, plates and items for photobooths a lot cheaper. I also kept an eye on hobbycraft when they had a sale and if you signed up for stuff it was an additional 20% off - this worked out cheaper then buying second hand from the sites.

My bridesmaid was getting married 6 weeks after me so we did a job lot for all decorations for £100 which included 14 4 metre handmade table runners. I was also given some sweet jars and tongs by a work colleague which in turn were gifted to my BM. We came up with the rule of anything free has to be passed onto another bride for free and decorations couldn't be more than 50%.

Since last summer 4 brides have had the sweet jars (with another 2 more to come this summer) and the decorations have been split to another 2 brides.

We still have 120 plates to sell and my parents have 120 teacups and saucers to sell but plates will be done at car boot sale and most of the teacup sets my mum is trying to sort a cafe or something to take rather then trying to do postage for them.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics