Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner December 2015

Expensive Caterers

buswoman14, 16 of January of 2015 at 17:35 Posted on Planning 0 28

Hello all!

So I've booked my dream wedding venue but they have specified that we use their recommended caterers to do the food. We have had quotes for what we think are simple meal and canapé charges and they're working out at £6000 for 90 people!! The venue was £2000 and our budget is 10000 so it doesn't leave much left to get dress, suits, entertainment, church etc etc.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any options I could put forward to the caterers to try and get the cost down? I can't cut numbers as it's mainly family and would cause a lot of arguments!!

I'm so stressed!!! Help!!

28 replies

Latest activity by HelenSomerset, 23 of January of 2015 at 19:05
  • AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

Is it a three course meal? If so, could you skip desert and have wedding cake? How many canapés is that per person? Any way to do less, eg. 3 instead of 4? Or cold canapés? They seem to be cheaper.

With our caterer some meals were cheaper than others. Chicken dishes were generally cheaper than beef for example. It's worth having a conversation with them to see what they can do, they're probably used to it Smiley winking

i can sympathise though. Catering is easily our biggest cost.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

You need to check exactly what the position is. You say they specify you use their recommended caterers - that doesn't make sense. Recommended suggests you have a choice. Read the Ts&Cs really carefully - you might not have to use them at all - it might just be wording they're using to strongly encourage you to use them.

Losing £8k of your £10k budget will leave you with insufficient I would suggest to do everything else that you will want, dress, shoes, suits, photographer, flowers, transport, BMs, etc etc and rings....don;t forget any church fees you might have too.

• A
    Beginner October 2015
    AlmostMrsS ·
    • Hide content

Have you considered a more relaxed meal such as a hog roast or BBQ sometimes this can bring down costs

• G
    Beginner April 2015
    G12 ·
    • Hide content

Were on a much tighter budget than you but wev gone for a hot buffet, still 3 courses and proper meals (like a beef roast etc) but it's literally half some of the prices we got quoted for sit down wedding breakfasts just because the food isn't being served to the table. Could be a hastle with 90 people but might be worth discussing! That or like others have said skipping dessert and using your cake instead, in my experience many people don't want the dessert anyway after 2 courses and some wine!

• G
    Beginner April 2015
    G12 ·
    • Hide content

Were on a much tighter budget than you but wev gone for a hot buffet, still 3 courses and proper meals (like a beef roast etc) but it's literally half some of the prices we got quoted for sit down wedding breakfasts just because the food isn't being served to the table. Could be a hastle with 90 people but might be worth discussing! That or like others have said skipping dessert and using your cake instead, in my experience many people don't want the dessert anyway after 2 courses and some wine!

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

That works out about £66 a head. Does that include drinks or anything? We had to use the caterer our venue told us to as well. Ours works out to about £90 a head which includes 3 reception drinks each, 4 canapés each, 3 course wedding breakfast, half a bottle of wine each, unlimited orange juice & water, tea, coffee & after dinner mints, evening buffet. Also includes hire of the cutlery, table linen, chairs etc. The catering is definitely our biggest cost!

If the venue say you have tto use their caterers then you'll have to. Ways you could cut cost down......what about having a buffet instead of a 3 course meal? Having wedding cake as dessert? Cutting out canapés?? Or what about looking for another venue that allows outside caterers??

• B
    Beginner December 2015
    buswoman14 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. I've considered cutting out canapés but not sure that's the done thing? The cost includes 3 canapés per person, 3 course meal(sausage and mash so nothing fancy) and bacon butties for evening.

with regards to using cake as dessert-what happens when you cut the cake? Would you do that before?

• B
    Beginner December 2015
    buswoman14 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. I've considered cutting out canapés but not sure that's the done thing? The cost includes 3 canapés per person, 3 course meal(sausage and mash so nothing fancy) and bacon butties for evening.

with regards to using cake as dessert-what happens when you cut the cake? Would you do that before?

• B
    Beginner December 2015
    buswoman14 ·
    • Hide content

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Lots of weddings don't have canapés these days. They can be quite a bit additional expense. If you did want to provide a little something, we've seen people hire in ice cream bikes, popcorn or candy floss machines, have sweet carts or those kind of things instead as it still works out a lot cheaper.

Regarding the cake, usually if it's going to be dessert, it will be cut just after you make your entrance into the wedding breakfast room ?

• C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

Just a heads up, but often places will charge you for using your wedding cake instead of a desert. e.g desert would be £4 they would charge £3 at least for you to serve your cake instead.

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? that's shocking! As if they don't get enough money out of couples for using their own caterer's, corkage fees, venue fees and the bar!!!!

For the OP I wouldn't expect canapes at all, but if set on it you could see if they can do something else which brings the price down - we are having meat and cheese boards (a bit like tapas) you can see if this will bring your price down.

The other option is more buffet style - e.g. hog roast but it is a personal choice. We are not having a 3 course sit down meal - rather paella pans with salad followed by cake for desert - we weren't planning on cutting it early however was going to do that after the speeches as paella is pretty filling and we are not having table service anyway.

• B
    Beginner December 2015
    buswoman14 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! You've been very helpful!!

I've spoken to the caterers expressing my concerns and they've actually agreed to bring the price down which is good!

I'm still going to give the canapés a miss I think. Also I'm considering not providing wine and only a glass for toasting but is that a bit stingy?!?!

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't go as far as to say stingy, you're still providing a nice meal for your guests after all. But I would find it a bit odd. I've never been to a wedding where there hasn't been at least a half bottle per person on the table. But I think anything over and above that is perfectly reasonable to expect your guests to pay for themselves. Are you able to provide your own wine during the mean? That is where we are planning to make our biggest saving; we can get it for half the price of what the venue charges by getting it in the supermarket.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I would think it odd and it's something that would stick in people's memories. If you're providing a formal sit down meal you do really need to provide wine. It's a reasonable expectation and I don't think you want people getting up to get drinks while the meal is in progress. You'll always get the odd one or two who want a soft drink, or even beer, but if you provide no drinks with the meal then you'll have a lot more movement of your guests.

A recent wedding I went to only provided a single glass of wine - we were expecting half a bottle each as that's what we'd been told, and it made things very awkward. Was the service just being poor or should we go and buy something more? If we'd known it was only a single glass, we'd have bought more. So whatever you do decide, make sure it's clear to your guests.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Have you actually checked the contract now?

If the contract doesn't say anything about required caterers you don't need to use them and can get a cheaper deal elsewhere. Did you not ask how much they generally charge before signing the contract? i'm a bit surprised that the venue didn't provide you with any information on this. It's quite unusual!

If you're not sure post the relevant bit of the contract and i'm sure one of us will be able to help.

Have the wedding cake as desert rather than paying for the 3 courses. Reduce the numbers for the evening buffet. Our venue recommended shed loads of food and we reduced it to about 75% of their recommendation. there was still lots left over at the end of the evening.

Maybe you could provide two bottles of white and red per table that works out as about half a bottle per person (assuming you've got 8-10 people on each table). Plus a glass to toast. I think cutting out drink completely may cause a bit of trouble as people will be getting up constantly to buy their drinks.

Have you thought of going for a BBQ/Hog roast? That tends to be much cheaper.

Where are you based? I think £66 is probably a good price for the London area, but anywhere else it seems like a lot.

• B
    Beginner December 2015
    buswoman14 ·
    • Hide content

Ok so wine it is then. I wouldn't have felt right about doing it anyway.

Yes it's in the contract that we have to use them. Once we knock canapés off and dessert it should make a difference. Think we need to whittle down our list too.

Who knew arranging a wedding would be this stressful!!

We're based in lancashire by the way.

Thanks everyone!

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsP2B-2015 ·
    • Hide content

Re. the canapes - what are the timings of your ceremony / wedding breakfast? if there is travel and a big gap involved I would suggest your guests may be happy to have a little something to eat to tide them over. I've got a fussy family, so have opted for mini fish and chip cones as I know they'll all get eaten! That's the only canape I'm having.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's cakeage

The traditional canape's are not designed to feed people with and so people wont be any hungrier without them, they are more of a taste-nibble-ooh. They look good, taste good and may be costing a lot more than you thought,when people have them I always make sure I get some shots of them before they all go.

This is because I have shot weddings at some venues where the staff have not actively sort out the bride and groom and when looking at the photos they have told me "glad you took pictures of the because we didn't get any"

Mini fish and chip cones would be better if you plan on giving something to actually eat.

• S
    Beginner October 2015
    Stephie ·
    • Hide content

How about moving your wedding to a little later in the day and going straight to reception/evening time? That way you could just have your evening buffet?

We're not having canapes, and I have been to weddings where there was no wine (or any drinks) provided on the table. I also didn't think twice about it at the time, weddings are expensive, you take each one as they come Smiley smile

I think our wedding breakfast is around £45 per head, evening burgers/hot dogs are £4.50 per head, but we also need to pay £4 per head for the "drinks" service (which is basically, glasses on the table and someone pouring the wine!), plus VAT on top. Everything about weddings is expensive, and the reason is because they know people will pay it.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I've been to plenty of weedings without wine on the tables, I wouldn't find that odd at all.

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry but I find it a bit odd that you didn't cost all this out before booking the venue? If you knew you didn't have a choice on which caterers to use did you not ask how much everything was to make sure it was within your budget? Are they now giving you different prices? If they gave you different prices then you could argue against it. If you didn't ask then I find that a bit astounding tbh.

When we looked at venues some were offering very low cost 'hire' but then their catering charges were much higher and then other venues it was a higher charge but freedom on the caterers. To be able to compare I had to get all the information and cost it all out - which meant we couldn't afford our first choice venue.

Whether you provide wine depends on the style wedding you are having and how formal it all is. I have never been to a formal wedding in a formal venue and not had wine on the table for the meal. If it is a less formal venue with barn style or hog roast then I agree you can get away with not providing wine.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I've been to two formal sit down type weddings and they didn't provide wine, I guess they were trying to cut costs.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This! ^^^^^

I'm so glad Cinnamon has raised this. I've been thinking this all afternoon and wondering how on earth you could have booked the venue and not known what the cost of the catering would be. they would probably tell you when going through the figures and if not why didn't you ask?

You say you have a budget, but it doesn't sound as if you're very aware of it tbh.

Please, please, please be know that some suppliers do have hidden costs and if you want to stick within your £10K budget you are going to have to get street smart and quickly. you need to ask questions. This is not a walk in the park love.... I know it's all very exciting and romantic, but you're not going to be feeling very good if you've got lots of debts at the end of the day.

£10K is a good budget but can be spent very, very easily so watch out when you sign stuff.

good luck with it!

• B
    Beginner December 2015
    buswoman14 ·
    • Hide content

Yes they provided me with set menus with prices and they were cheaper than this but their caterers have changed since then hence the dilemma

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

In that case the contract has changed and you have the right to cancel - or should have if it's now out of your budget. It's a material change. I would expect the venue to work really hard to bring this back within the original offering. If they can;t do it then you shouldn't be under pressure you should simply walk away - and I know it's not that simple - but it is within your gift.

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As Pammy says - depending on what is says in the contract but if it says you HAVE to use their caterers and the price has significantly changed you can argue that the contract is no longer valid and therefore cancel and have your deposit returned. OR ask them to match the original prices quoted.

I know it is your dream venue but it isn't worth busting your budget where they are being unfair. No supplier can tie you into a contract and then up their prices - it doesn't work like that. How much have the prices changed by?

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

What Pammy said! They have changed the contract materially so you are no longer obliged to comply with it unless they can bring it in at the prices agreed from the start.

Don't let them bully you and walk away if you can't afford it. Venue and catering usually is about 50% of the budget it should not be anywhere near £8K when your budget is £10K. You're not going to manage.

Don't feel oblige to compromise what you wanted (e.g. wine, food) because they have changed their deal. That's their problem.

Our venue increased their prices after we signed the contract. THey had to agree to use the old pricing structure or equivalent.

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

Totally agree with what has been said about the changing of caterers. If you signed the contract based on representations made to you about the price of catering and this has now increased, I would totally put your venue on the spot. They need to do some serious backpedalling to keep your business!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics