Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner June 2019

Expensive celebrants

SunnyPinkConfetti83540, 12 of December of 2017 at 06:52 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hiya I’m newly engaged and very excited....

We’ve set a date for our wedding in June 2019 and we gone for a laid back marquee ceremony, reception and evening do all on our friends farm. We are organising it all ourselves and so far so good! However we need a celebrant for the ceremony (we are going to sort the registry office/legal bit afterwards). Every celebrant I’ve got in touch with wants around £400 for a ceremony that is really just for ceremonial purposes and isn’t even legal! We feel a bit robbed paying so much! Any ideas on what we can do?

Thanks!!

3 replies

Latest activity by Bruce Neville Photography, 17 of December of 2017 at 02:04
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I've noticed celebrants seem expensive too. However, they do provide a more personal service than registrars. You get a bespoke ceremony that's very different from a registrar-led one.

They spend far more time with you before the big day.

• R
    Beginner October 2018
    RomanticPurpleDecor781 ·
    • Hide content

We've paid £483 for a registrar to attend our wedding and marry us, plus the £70 notice fee between us too. I complained to my mam about it who reminded me I could get married without a dress, but not without a registrar.

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

Bear in mind that the registrar doesn't just rock up, I bet they have all sorts of costs involved such as licensing etc and most are self employed. I imagine that they charge what is necessary to make some profit and meet all their overheads. Our registrar was £350, so it's not that dissimilar.

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This ^ plus you are getting a bespoke package and not the normal "turn up and marry you" like MetalBride said.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics