Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Ducky*
Beginner July 2012

Experiences of hospital/general anaesthetic wisdom teeth extraction?

*Ducky*, 19 June, 2012 at 15:33 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

A couple of days ago, I noticed OH had really whiffy breath. I told him so in a not-so-subtle way and after a couple of days of this he also started getting toothache. I checked his teeth/tonsils for cause of offending smell and could see something was going with one of his wisdom teeth erupting.

So off he trots to the dentist today. An x-ray has show it's growing in a really awkward way and is under/around some nerves that control his facial sensation and movement. The dentist said he isn't going to touch it for fear of paralysing OH's face(!) and it is too invasive and will require a hospital stay. But agreed this is the site of smell/infection. So for the time being OH has a special mouthwash, some antibiotics and a hospital referral.

This is all second hand info from OH, so I am assuming the hospital stay will involve a general anaesthetic (they aren't going to risk movement if close to nerves) and an operation to remove the offending tooth.

Does anyone know how long he is likely to be waiting for a referral? And then how long he will stay in for/need to recover? I doubt it's going to happen before the wedding now (unless we look at going private which I don't think we can stretch to right now!), but I also don't want him to be in pain any longer than necessary.

11 replies

Latest activity by Little Pixie , 20 June, 2012 at 09:36
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

this happened to me!! i waited around 6weeks for the referral and although was put under, was in an out within a day!!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Oh that's good to know it was just a one-day thing Flow. Hopefully, he will be in, out, wham-bam-thank-you-m'am styley.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I'm afraid I had my wisdom teeth out with a local anaesthetic cos I am hard core, me.

It shouldn't be too long in hosp though, should it? (The NHS get rid of you as soon as possible in my experience)

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Yes, but afterwa, once it all wears off, its going to be agony!!

mine was impacted and had to be broken up and ripped out, was awful..i was swollen, bruised and a mess for days lol

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had all four of mine out under local. I was only 15 and all four came through in sync an all pointed outwards very slighty. They grazed my cheeks so it was suggested I have them out. My top ones came out just like he was berry-picking, but for my bottom ones the nurse had to practically sit on my head to prevent the yanking giving me whiplash. I wasn't in much pain at all, no bruising or swelling and the holes had become really small holes within two days. But mine were very simple 'straight out' extractions. Apparently the younger you are the less root there is and so the simpler the removal.

OH (and Flow) will have their gums cut open and their wisdom teeth dug out so they will probably be in muchos more pain.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This also. Stitches came out within about 2weeks.

The root of one of my wisdom teeth is really close to said nerve in the jaw so they only removed 2/3rds of that tooth and left the root there. Solved the problem as it is no longer able to erupt and no risk of face paralysis.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

My son who has learning difficulties and can't talk had 2 removed last year under general anaesthetic, he had day surgery and as soon a he came round and ate something they let him home. The bleeding was scarily horrific for me for about 12 hours afterwards, but he managed perfectly well and didn't appear to be particularly in pain, however he took pain killers for a week as the dentist said that would stop the pain as he wouldn't be able to tell us

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

I had 2 out under a local at the hospital. The bottom one had come through pointing towards the tooth beside it - never had any pain from it but it was a food trap which caused a hole in the tooth. Dentist wanted to fill it and I refused. Had the top one taken out at the same time because it would just continue to grow.

One came out easy, the other they had to drill/saw in half to get out. I could see the dentist and nurse looking at each other and saying a lot with their eyes but not their mouths!

Wasn't in a huge amount of pain but kept well topped up on ibuprofen and paracetamol. I did have some discomfort and was unable to open my mouth very far but that was because of the position of one of the stitches. I had that taken out early and it was fine after that.

I'd be very surprised if he was kept in overnight.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I had all four wisdom teeth out under a general anaesthetic. It's just a day case, in in the morning, out by mid-afternoon.

The top two were a breeze but the bottom two were painful. Because they're hard to access I had bruises all up my neck and a very swollen face, I looked awful for at least two weeks. It looked like I'd been beaten up. I had two weeks off work but that was mainly due to the swelling and me looking a mess rather than any pain. Stitches dissolved in a few weeks.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

Boy had his out a few years ago - all of them at once. He was in and out in a morning. He was in AGONY afterwards though - his face swelled up like Marlon Brando, and he couldn't eat for a week as he ended up developing lots of mouth ulcers in the holes and he lost close to a stone! Just tell Mr DB to be aware that the pain should get better and he should be able to eat in a day or so, and if he can't get back to the dentist sharp-ish as he may have an infection or something going on. Poor old boy is a bit of a trooper (and I am a self-involved old bint who spends too much time navel gazing to notice the suffering of a bloke, sadly) and so he soldiered on in the hope it would improve but in the end had to go into dentist as an emergency.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I too am hard core. Although I have had some other dental surgery when I was younger that involved a general. They will not keep you in if you have eaten and done a wee. Costs too much to keep you over night. Stuff like this is gererally a day case.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics