Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

leni

Experiences of rain on your wedding day...

leni, 30 of November of 2009 at 15:36 Posted on Planning 0 13

The wedding day is fast approaching (this saturday) and the forecast is very changable between no rain and lots of rain! So to prepare myself - what do I do if it rains?

I'm gonna buy a couple of huge brolly's but what else should I do? will it ruin the photo's?

13 replies

Latest activity by Peter, 1 of December of 2009 at 23:31
  • Bob - An Image For You
    Bob - An Image For You ·
    • Hide content

I hope it turns out nice for you on the day. Check with your venue(s) if there is an area that could be used for photographs (including group shots, if having some) in such circumstances. Most hotels usually have nice lobby/ reception area or will allow a use of another hall (if available) at no extra cost. Some have nice, elaborate stairways to get your groups posed.

If getting married at a church, talk to the vicar/ priest to ask if there is another wedding after yours or how much time will you have after your ceremony, in case you need more photo taken indoors.

Hope this helps.

Good luck on your big day!

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content

Our weather forecast was very changeable too, which was mightily frustrating given we got married on the 1st august!

we bought loads of massive golf brollies in case i needed to shelter underneath them at any point. we had already talked with our tog and thought about where we would take pics inside should it rain and pics outside be a problem. we had talked to the venue about where canapes and drinks would be served if we couldn't use an outside space.

in all honestly, we did charge through our photos as we were paranoid it was going to rain soon - it meant we forgot a few. the ones we forgot, we went back later to take, and by that point it was absolutely pouring, so we had to have them taken in one of the rooms. admittedly, they're not quite as nice, but luckily, they're mainly massive matey group shots, so it wasn't quite as critical.

most importantly, try not to stress. i was checking the weather forecast the whole week before, and it did nothing for my skin. you can't change the weather, though you can plan for every eventuality.

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

One peice of advice someone gave me, for our church wedding, is that if its raining when the guests arrive make sure the ushers have a couple of towels to dry the isle other wise everyone will have walked up and down it with there wet dirty shoes and then your beautiful dress gets dragged up it and is filthy before the photo's begin, so make sure the ushers dry it up first!

• Maxibon
    Beginner March 2009
    Maxibon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ooh I'd not thought of that! thanks for the heads up! - it may not be raining in june, but we are in manchester.....

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

I bought a brolly for my wet wedding day....I stood on the lawn, on a bed sheet, tucked under my hemline and had photos taken with and without brolly.... It did begin to clear up as the day went on though. Was pretty miserable to start with but somehow I kept smiling.

My bridesmaid was aware that the dye on her shoe came off on to the bed sheet - thank god it wasnt near my dress, so she was trying to keep as far from me with her feet and leaning in with her torso!

• Little.Miss-Scatterbrain
    Beginner September 2009
    Little.Miss-Scatterbrain ·
    • Hide content

Well........................ our wedding day (5th sept) was awful (just weather wise!), i wore my dads waterproof jacket out to the car, we couldnt go out the main entrance of the church after the ceremony because of the wind and rain, we ended up running out the back door straight into the car. we couldnt have any pics taken outside but had some lovely ones taken inside the church and at the reception venue. brollies wouldnt have helped because of the wind the rain was coming in every direction, i know it sounds terrible but it really didnt spoil our day!

x

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

You can use umbrellas to protect hair but how do you protect your dress?? A coat's not going to cover it so do you just hold it up as much as you can? ?

I've got to get from the car into the venue but once i'm in there, that's it - ceremony & reception.

• bygeorge
    bygeorge ·
    • Hide content

Chucked it down the day we got married (August bank holiday...should have known!). We hadn't arranged cars as I was walking to the Church, so just ended up in a friends car which was fine. Some of the photos were taken in doors, some outside under the trees. I don't remember it making a huge difference to be honest, and the sun did come out eventually!

• debs1701
    Beginner
    debs1701 ·
    • Hide content

My cousin got married last year and the grounds of the venue flooded so they ended up having all pics taken insdie, not sure what they turned out like as I haven't seen him since but everyone still enjoyed themselves.

I'm worried about rain on 27.08, I want pics outside but that's one thing no-one can control ☹️

• L
    Beginner February 2011
    Lucy137 ·
    • Hide content

Some good tips here, especially about getting the aisle cleaned to save the dress! Rain in august, our 'summer'. Typica!!!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

If marrying in a church, I always advise the couples to ask the vicar if its ok to use the inside in the eventuality of bad weather. If you don't, there may be problems as often he/she shoots off to another church for another wedding and leaves you with the verger/church person who thought they were going to get an easy and early "off". Put it in their mindset that you may need the inside and it always works(as long as there isn't another wedding following)

Regarding reception venues, again ask them in advance if they have a wet weather fall back location. Many will, others may try to charge although this is scandalous if they do. In my area, hotels are very accomodating in wet weather scenarios.

Finally, regarding the dress......sorry ladies, it is going to get dirty. End of. It happens and can't be avoided. In 25 years I have yet to see a dress that doesn't need a cleaning at the end of the night. Are you going to ruin the photography by trying to preserve the inevitable? The photography IS your keepsake of the day. (Ok, and for the vids, the videography is too...and the rings...and him, the OH)?

Peter

• M
    Beginner September 2007
    MrsKitty ·
    • Hide content

After 2 weeks of gorgeous weather, I woke on my wedding day to rain! For a second I was a little disappointed but I was so excited about getting married that it passed in an instant.

Luckily for us we were having the whole day at our venue and we had all arrived the day before so no one had to arrive in the rain. I was worried about the photo's but as my photographer said, it very rarely rains solid all day and we managed to get our outside photographs taken when there was a short break in the rain. In fact, looking at my pics you would never guess it was pouring just a little while before.

By the time we were sitting down for dinner, it was raining again and I vividly remember looking around the candle lit wood panelled dinning room, filed with our nearest and dearest and thinking how warm and cosy it all looked.

It didn't spoil our day one little bit!

ETA: I hope you have a wonderful day, what ever the weather xx

• Debbie Graham Jewellery
    Debbie Graham Jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I got married 26th June 2004 & it absolutely poured down nearly all day. We thought that by having a "summer" wedding that there would be a good chance that the sun would shine... alas this was not the case.

The day before had been gorgeous & the day after my wedding was gorgeous too. sods law!! - In some countries it is good luck if it rains on your wedding day..

It didnt spoil my day on elittle bit, I was just SO HAPPY all day long & to be honest we didnt even notice the rain that much throughout the day. We managed to get sneak some photos in when there was a 20 min break in the clouds.

You will have a lovely day what ever the weather

ENJOY

Debbie

xxxxx

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

This reminds me of a wedding that I did in Stevenage a few years back (St Nicholas Church followed by reception at Stevenage football club) The bride had arranged (without the grooms knowledge) for a Hells Angel on a trike to be the transport. All was well and most of the photography was done at this excellent church (the vicar has one of the best sermons I have ever come across)....As we left the church for the journey to the reception venue, the heavens opened up and the couple got soaked on the way to the football club.

The key thing is when she arrived she was laughing..."This is my wedding day and I am going to remember this for the rest of my life" she told me........

It was a truly wonderful wedding for all the right reasons.

Peter

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics