Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kayleigh
Rockstar October 2023 Bristol

Extra hotel rooms?

Kayleigh, 16 of May of 2021 at 18:35 Posted on Planning 0 10
Bit of a dilemma.

So there's going to be a few people that will likely need or want hotel rooms at my venue for the night of the wedding. I'm torn between whether to pay for them myself or tactfully ask that people book and pay for their own... Its over £600 extra for me to pay them myself. What should I do? X

10 replies

Latest activity by Kayleigh, 18 of May of 2021 at 05:45
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    Sorry but I don’t understand why you would pay for anyone’s room. We aren’t paying for anyone else. We have got a reduced rate at the hotel near the venue and everyone will pay for themselves, my sister and her family, my parents and my fiancé’s family plus any other guests who want to stay. It’s never been offered that we would pay. And when I went to my sisters wedding even though I was her chief bridesmaid , we paid for our own room for my family.
  • Kayleigh
    Kayleigh ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I guess its just I feel cheeky expecting people to pay lol. I worry. A lot lol
  • Melissab
    Dedicated June 2022 Surrey
    Melissab ·
    • Hide content
    Look at it this way - you wouldn’t pay for people’s taxis home, so why would you pay for their hotel room?!
  • Kayleigh
    Kayleigh ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's a fair point actually, I never thought of it that way! X
  • S
    Savvy September 2021 Dorset
    Sonia ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely everyone that comes to our wedding will need accommodation, and I wouldn’t expect to pay for anyone as a norm. However, I have an aunt who I’d love to be there and there’s simply no way she’d be able to afford the journey let alone hotel, so I’d happily cover her costs as it would be special for us all (and I know she’d never ask, but without our help she’d have to decline the invite). If you have a similar situation with someone who is really important to you, you may decide to help, but it certainly shouldn’t be expected by your guests.

• Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly as everyone has said, and if you are providing a meal and drinks as part of a wedding reception then you are already spending money etc per head so everyone should absolutely pay for themselves unless a special circumstance. Don’t worry I’ve never ever expected to have my hotel room paid for when I’ve attended a wedding!
  • Kayleigh
    Kayleigh ·
    • Hide content
    Thanks ladies!

I think I just worry I'll expect too much from people, I know it sounds silly! X
  • April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    I don’t think you should *HAVE* to pay for anyone’s room it’s more a matter of if you want to and can afford to.

I’m paying for my bridal party incl flower girls abs ring barer to stay the night before my wedding as I want them to get ready with me and don’t want the stress of worrying if they are running late the morning of- because this is important to my sanity I’m paying. They are paying to stay the night of our wedding as that part isn’t a concern of mine.
    I have family members that will likely be late to their own funerals - I’m not paying for them as a) they can afford to b) if they arrive after me they aren’t being let into the ceremony 🤷🏾‍♀️.
    Personally I think it’s all well and good saying “would you pay for a taxi...” but the question you should ask yourself is a) would your day feel less special in their absence b) can they afford to pay?
    Even with spreading the costs some might not be willing/able to and if you’ve picked a venue in the middle of nowhere as an example they may pull out if the cost is too high.
    I had a friend get married in a remote part of Ireland- picked because it was pretty not because her/the groom had a tie to it. There was only one local hotel and they charged a fortune the alternative would be to stay at a cheaper hotel over an hr away and exorbitant £s for a taxi.
    Though we were all on good money a number of us decided that we’d fly in the morning of the ceremony arriving at the venue 30mins before the ceremony and fly home first thing the next day (flights from England and the hotel cost >£500pp and there was only one flight a day from London). The bride was upset as she’d planned events the Friday night and the Sunday day as it was a BH but none of us were willing to pay close to £1k for a friend’s wedding. These are things that you need to consider. Obviously amount of money in my friends situation was a very specific case but the sentiment remains the same). Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Kayleigh
    Kayleigh ·
    • Hide content
    Thank you all!
    We've decided we'll pay for the bridal party the night before and for my FIL as he's travelling from Penzance to Bristol but anyone else will need to book their own.💜

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics