Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nims
Beginner July 2015

Eyelashes... idiots guide please! (FLASH!)

Nims, 24 of January of 2015 at 18:45 Posted on Planning 0 22

Hello Hitchers. My lovely MUA tried out a strip of false eyelashes on me, using black glue (which looked like eyeliner). I REALLY liked the look, I've never worn eyelashes in my life!! BUT getting the glue off was hell and I had sore eyes for days. I did text her asking if the stick on ones were any good but she said she doubts they'd last all day (and i'll cry!).

Any tips? I googled but got SO confused...

Thanks xx

22 replies

Latest activity by Ivana, 26 of June of 2024 at 11:16
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Hmm. I wear strip lashes fairly often but have never had a problem getting the glue off. I can usually just gently pull the lashes off then the residual glue comes off with my eye makeup remover. Have you thought about lvl lashes instead? Or are they not a dramatic enough look for you?

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

I had lvl done on Thursday to see if I liked it, then I was going to get it done again the week before the wedding. I was unsure at first as you can't wear mascara for 24 hours and they didn't seem that impressive to me. Today I have put a little mascara on and they are amazing! And the best thing is I can cry and sweat all I want on my wedding day and nothing is going to fall off (I'm a cryer too!) I would definitely recommend lvl.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

See, mine looked remarkable straightaway - I didn't wear mascara at all the first week I had them. I suspect that depends on how long/full your lashes are in the first place! But yeah, I love them. Definitely having them done again if I can afford it.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Almost~Mrs~W ·
    • Hide content

You can buy false eyelash remover in boots and similar

or get some free with the eyelure lashes

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure about lvl because I had quite dramatic ones on, and I liked them!

Maybe it was just the glue she uses? I was scrubbing at them with make up remover wipes, so ouchie.

Have ordered 3 sets of Eyelure ones to try... I am rubbish at anything that requires a steady hand, but we shall see!!! Wish me luck hahaha!

edit: I've managed to add a photo to first post so you can see...

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh they look nice!! But no good if you can't get the glue off!! I've never had a problem getting glue off though - how much did she put on?

You can get waterproof glue - Duo - I've just bought some that dries clear. I'm having strips on the day which my MUA will apply - I'll have no chance of having a steady hand to do it.

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

Honestly- LOADS. It was like a thick black line, she said she uses that instead of eyeliner. I had big clumps coming off for two days! Loved the look but not the removal.

Rubbish iPhone pic. But basically all the thick black line is the glue....

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I would ask her to use normal glue in normal amounts and apply a proper eyeliner.... you do look fab though Smiley smile

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

What Pammy said! ^^^

Also - could it be that you are allergic to latex? It would account for the swelling. I am and my MUA used a different glue as a result....

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

I wonder if she used the glue that people normally use for the individual 3 week lashes? I have used strip lashes before and never had a problem with the glue. Did you try oil - as in baby oil or similar? normal makeup remover won't remove glue.

So idiots guide to lashes that I know of:

LVL - does not use any false lashes so works on your own lashes. Is basically an updated version of the perm and tint. It straightens your lashes to make them curl more and then tints them. Some good reviews on here but won't be as dramatic as falsies. You need to wait 24 hours after having them before using water etc. Total cost around £30. If you are intending on going this route you might want to add in a serum to help your own lashes in the mean time as the final result will depend on your own lashes.

Strip lashes - you can buy these from any chemist or ask your MUA to apply them. You might need practice to apply them if you are intending on applying your own. They can have a tendency to come loose or an end lift up. I have worn these lots and must have funny shaped eyes as nearly every time I wear them I have to reglue them an hour later. The result can look 'false' depending on which lashes you use and the effect you want. Some people want the dramatic look. Would be applied on the morning. My MUA offered them for £10 - they are about £5 in boots to apply yourself.

Individual lashes self applied - you will see these in boots. They use normal glue so aren't as lasting as the ones below but only cost around £6. They are clusters of lashes you apply to the base of your normal lashes. Remove at the end of the day. You need a steady hand and time on your wedding morning to apply them. If one comes out it isn't going to be a disaster.

Individual 3 week lashes. Applied by a professional these can be as dramatic as strip lashes but are applied in clusters to your individual lashes so you don't get the strip look. They last a couple of weeks and if one comes off on the day it won't be a biggie but may leave a gap as one coming out is actually a cluster of 3. Generally you need to have them professionally removed as they use medical grade glue which is a pig to get off. Oil loosens them but doesn't remove them. After applying you need to leave them 24 hours without getting them wet or steamy. Mine cost £30 and they take about half an hour to an hour to apply. You wouldn't need mascara with these are they are quite heavy.

Individual 4 week lashes with infills. These are the bees knees of lashes and you can get different types. The mink lashes are my favourite as they are really natural and fluttery but wouldn't have been dramatic enough for my wedding (I had a glam theme). It is difficult to tell when people have these on unless they go for the dramatic ones as they are individual lashes applied on top of your own lash. Initial appointment can be 2 hours or more and first set can cost around £70 minimum. Infills cost around £30 min every 3/4 weeks and take around an hour. Ones that are much much cheaper are likely to be the cluster lashes as above as these take less time to apply but aren't as good IMO. I had these after my natural lashes went really fine. They look natural enough for work and then a light touch of oil free mascara and they were good for evenings too. The more natural ones come out in ones and are really fine so do not leave a gap. As with the cluster lashes they use medical grade glue so you need to have them professionally removed. Because these are more delicate than the cluster lashes you need to leave them for 48 hours not getting wet etc and you have to be really careful with them afterwards. If you were having these for your wedding I would recommend having these four weeks before the wedding and then having infills just before as I find that by the second application they have settled down.

That's all I know about lashes!

With the individual lashes I would recommend asking to see the lash they will apply before it is stuck on so you can judge whether it will look natural or not. If you are wanting a natural summer look if the lash is thick and plastic it will look heavy when applied. As mentioned above best lashes for a more natural look feel very natural before being applied. With all of the above, even the natural ones, if you have never had them before you can feel them afterwards which can take a while to get used to as they can make your eyelids feel heavy.

• CBeckford
    Rockstar July 2015
    CBeckford ·
    • Hide content

I may be mistaken but it sounds like the glue used is actually bonding glue, did it have a strong smell? I used to frequently wear weaves and they used this stuff for my hair wefts. Needless to say it shouldn't be used near your eyes.

I would use a glue specifically made for lashes (I use one by Shu Uemera) you can pick this up in Boots for a couple of pounds.

x

• RusticBride15
    Beginner June 2015
    RusticBride15 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds to me like she used something similar if not definitely the Ardell lashtite adhesive, this can be an absolute pain in the ass to get off, its the stuff i use for my clients when wanting to get a few weeks from lashes (Semi Permanent) this shouldn't really be used to create an eye-liner effect, black adhesive is generally used to give a better finish as i find the clear adhesive you can see (IMO)

As the other ladies have recommended and what i recommend to clients to remove is anything oil based so baby oil on a cotton bud and just gently wipe it across the adhesive..

Hope this helps hun

❤️

• RogueSnowflake
    Beginner July 2015
    RogueSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

Hi Whysea,

I have nothing to add the the lash talk, I have blonde lashes and my eyes look all small and piggy without mascara, so I might have to have similar lash convos with my MUA.

I just wanted to say, I love your wedding look! Hair and makeup look beautiful.

xx

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

Ahh thank you! Smiley heart I've just received my make up package from Boots so will get testing out the Eyelure ones. Have also texted MUA asking for different glue!

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Ooh products. ALL THE products.

I haven't worn falsies for ages cos I couldn't be bothered with the faff. But I want to start again!

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

Also we flew to Scotland over the weekend so I got some Benefit High Beam, Benefit They're Real mascara (and the remover which I LOVE) and my wedding perfume... (Vera Wang 'Princess' which I intend to wear for date nights etc after the wedding).

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

You know, I got some wedding perfume too and now it just reminds me of running around getting ready and being hot and stressed and last minute. So I haven't really worn it since. Sorry, don't mean to put you off Smiley smile

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

Oh no!! I absolutely refuse to run around or get hot or sweaty. I'm an over organiser in every day life so I intend to NOT be. Even if it kills me. Super chilled out is the order of the day!

• Lui
    Beginner October 2015
    Lui ·
    • Hide content

That’s my wedding perfume too, decided to do the exact same as you when using it for special occasions too.

Love benefit make up. I’ve got they’re real liquid eyeliner for the day and a smashbox primer.

Allllllllllll the makeup choices for the day. ?

• Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB)
    Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

I would just ask her to use clear glue instead. I live Duo as it's surgical glue so very hypoallergenic but very strong. Alternatively you could buy a tube yourself and have it with you on the day. Its very easy to remove.

Juliet x

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon Online ·
    • Hide content

An old thread but my advice is to not have false eyelashes at all if you can really help it because in the photos it can almost look like your eyes are shut on all but the the closer photos from waist up and especially when the sun is high as they can then cast shadows which make it worse. Or at least go carefully with them.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics