Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*ginni of the lamp*

Fabulous millionaire's/caramel shortbread recipe please

*ginni of the lamp*, 24 of May of 2009 at 15:51 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 15

But not the Nigella one - much as I lurve her stuff in general, I wasn't impressed with this one from HTBADG.

Thanks ?

15 replies

Latest activity by Lumpy Golightly, 26 of May of 2009 at 20:36
  • Flump
    Expert January 2012
    Flump ·
    • Hide content

Hooby has one but I don't know if it's secret or not!

• amandam
    Beginner March 2005
    amandam ·
    • Hide content

This one is yummy!

• *ginni of the lamp*
    *ginni of the lamp* ·
    • Hide content

Thanks amandam. Mary Berry's always a good bet.

I wonder if Hooby is willing to share her secret recipe.... I may have to make a few batches and test them out - in the interests of science, you understand.

• Hoobygroovy
    Hoobygroovy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

'Tis not a secret but I get the feeling people would probably dismiss it because it's not made with condensed milk like all the other recipes, but with evaporated milk, and the caramel takes more cooking and a lot of stirring as a result. It makes for a softer, creamier caramel than condensed milk, imo. And the recipe's been in our family since my mum was a girl and I'm sticking to it so there!
    ?

Shortbread base

Rub together 8oz flour and 4oz butter/marg until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs (I'm lazy and blitz in the food processor). Stir in 4oz caster sugar. Press the mixture well into a lightly greased swiss roll tin. Bake at Gas Mark 5 (380F) until slightly brown, about 12-15 minutes. Leave in tin to cool.

Caramel filling

8oz butter/marg
    8oz caster sugar
    2 dstsp golden syrup
    1 tin evaporated milk

Place all ingredients in a heavy-based saucepan and cook over a medium heat until the mixture thickens (about 20-25 minutes), taking care to stir constantly once the mixture starts to bubble. It's ready when it reaches the 'soft ball' stage i.e when you drop a little into a cup of cold water and it forms a soft ball. It should also thickly coat the back of the wooden spoon. If in doubt, keep cooking a bit longer, taking care to make sure the caramel doesn't 'catch' and burn. Pour on top of shortbread base and allow to cool.

Top with 150-200g melted chocolate of your choice, depending on how thick you like it. Cut into squares when chocolate has set. Scoff a slice. Feel guilty. Scoff another slice. Feel even guiltier. Scoff one more slice. Feel a bit sick. Transfer remaining slices to a biscuit tin to disguise the fact that you've been a pig.

• *ginni of the lamp*
    *ginni of the lamp* ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Hooby, I'll try it. It's not the evaporated m,ilk that scares me, it's the soft ball stage - I'm quite bad with super heating sugary stuffs, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha!! I do that with cookies! I may have to pinch your and try it out. My nan makes them for me when i visit and i can never eat more than 2 bits before feeling really sick! It's soooo good! x

• Lumpy Golightly
    Expert February 2003
    Lumpy Golightly ·
    • Hide content

Well, you BAD BAD people. I now have millionaire's shortbread a la Hooby, cooling in my kitchen (it's not ready for the chocolate layer yet but will be soon.) The caramel is delicious. I was a bit unsure of the size of tin of milk, becuse there were two, so I went for the biggest one and it seems to be okay.

I also made some rocky road - good job I'm visiting people this week and can take it with me, otherwise I truly would be sick!

• GMT
    Beginner December 2008
    GMT ·
    • Hide content

You've got me drooling now, you horrible lot! I have saved both recipe versions and nerxt time we have a fund-raising wotsit at work I shall make some to take into the office. That way, I won't be tempted to scoff the lot!

• *ginni of the lamp*
    *ginni of the lamp* ·
    • Hide content

<shuffles feet and looks down at toes> Sorry Lumpy.

• Flump
    Expert January 2012
    Flump ·
    • Hide content

Ooh Lumpy I am tres jalouse! The batch Hooby made for me is now legendary in my house to the point that friends still come round and shake the tin in anticipation 'to see if your fabulous baking friend has been round again' ?

• Hoobygroovy
    Hoobygroovy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oops, sorry Lumpy.In my defence, you didn't have to make it. ?

It should indeed be the big tin of vap milk. The original recipe was actually for the small tin and made enough for a square tin but the Hoob family long since doubled up the ingredients to fill a swiss roll tin as it didn't go far round a family of five otherwise.

Flumpums, I'm planning to make some in the next couple of days. You may be lucky, if my colleagues don't polish it all off.

• Nichola80
    Nichola80 ·
    • Hide content

Mmm I so want some now! I may have to try and make some next week, although if anyone would like to send me some it would be gratefully recieved!

• Lumpy Golightly
    Expert February 2003
    Lumpy Golightly ·
    • Hide content

Well, here it is. The recipe is indeed sensational and I am going to get very very fat (again).

(Incidentally, this was low fat condensed milk. So maybe I'll just get very fat?)

• Tabs
    Beginner
    Tabs ·
    • Hide content

[dribble]

• *ginni of the lamp*
    *ginni of the lamp* ·
    • Hide content

Lumpy, that looks amazing. Wasn't it evap milk, not condensed? Surely that makes is more virtuous?

• Lumpy Golightly
    Expert February 2003
    Lumpy Golightly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh yes, you're right! Virtually a health food then!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics