Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner October 2021 Hampshire

Factoring in sunset photos

Kat, 19 of October of 2020 at 21:23 Posted on Planning 0 3
Hello, has anyone had a small break between the wedding breakfast and speeches? We'd like to try and get some couples portraits done during golden hour (if weather is kind) and sunset on our date is at 5:45pm. We don't want the evening bit to start too early as we're having a weekday wedding and want people to be able to come after work without rushing too much.
This is what I've got but any thoughts are welcome:12:30-1:15 ceremony
1:15-1:45 photographs Inc group photos 1:45-2:15 travel to reception 2:15-3:15 drinks reception 3:15-5:15 wedding breakfast 5:15-5:45 couple photos 5:45-6:30 speeches 7:00pm evening guest start to arrive
Thinking of having table games and/or some kind of entertainment for the guests whilst we're having photos.

3 replies

Latest activity by Hoa, 10 of May of 2022 at 17:26
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Your timings look quite good, only perhaps you could have less time and photos at the ceremony venue and arrive 15 mins earlier at the reception and do the photos there. You have allocated 45 mins for the speeches which is a long time but not a bad idea to allow for the unknown but I would say they will be done by 6.15.

Many times my bride and grooms have done the same as you and nipped out for a sunset shot as you plan or in-between the main and sweet depending on the time of year and time of wedding, you may not need that full 1/2 hour to get the sunset shots you are after but I think you have a good plan.

Many couples see my sunset shots and want to create the same kind of images but timings sometimes can be tricky so Its great to see a couple factor in some timings. Make sure the photographer that you choose can show you plenty of sunset shots as they are not that easy to get right,

• K
    Beginner October 2021 Hampshire
    Kat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, feeling a little more reassured now! I know I’ve allowed a little more time than necessary in places but better to have too much time than not enough! Thanks again, super appreciate it!!

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You are doing the right thing. One of the most common mistakes I see are to do with underestimating timings. The most common one is a Church wedding. People say---

12.00 wedding which is 40mins so that s 12.40, don't want many photos at church so we will be on our way to reception 12.50.

I say - you can quite easily be 10 mins late - even if you don't intend to be so that's now 12.50 service end.

People are not instantly transported out of the Church and do trickle out and 9 times out of 10 the doorway is the best place for shots so they all need to be out of the way, its also best to have a few mins for the congrats and you may have bells at this time, if you were to leave pretty much straight away the bells will be going and no-one will be there so its now 1.00.

Even if you only have a couple of shots of just the two of you and a confetti shot, by the time you have fought off every aunt and uncle grabbing you by the elbow and wanting their own photo, wanting their own photos of the two of you in front/inside/ontop of the car, the wheels will not be turning until 1.30.

If this part of the day is underestimated then it domino's throughout the day causing you stress trying to keep to a shedual.

I always say, a safe estimation is - Church wedding you will be outside with the bells ringing 1 hour after stated start time. For a civil ceremony its 1/2 hour and outside with a drink in your hand.

One more tip, don't think by only having 1 hymn the service will be quicker - it wont, because the vicar will just talk for longer Smiley laugh

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics