Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Naboo
Beginner

Fail safe meringue recipe anyone?

Naboo, 17 June, 2011 at 16:17 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 10

I usuallu use the one from the Cook with Jamie boook but it doesn keep for very long and I need one that I can make the day before it is going to be used, anyone got any recipes that work for a meringue with a chewy middle?

Cheers me dears

10 replies

Latest activity by Flowmojo, 20 June, 2011 at 10:07
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

We always this one...think its James Martin!! Mr F swears by it (hes the meringue maker in our household!!)

4 large organic egg whites , at room temperature 115g caster sugar 115g icing sugar

Preheat the oven to fan 100C/ conventional 110C/gas 1⁄4. Line 2 baking sheets with Bake-O-Glide non-stick liner or parchment paper (meringue can stick on greaseproof paper and foil). Tip the egg whites into a large clean mixing bowl (not plastic). Beat them on medium speed with an electric hand whisk until the mixture resembles a fluffy cloud and stands up in stiff peaks when the blades are lifted. Now turn the speed up and start to add the caster sugar, a dessertspoonful at a time. Continue beating for 3-4 seconds between each addition. It's important to add the sugar slowly at this stage as it helps prevent the meringue from weeping later. However, don't over-beat. When ready, the mixture should be thick and glossy. Sift a third of the icing sugar over the mixture, then gently fold it in with a big metal spoon or rubber spatula. Continue to sift and fold in the icing sugar a third at a time. Again, don't over-mix. The mixture should now look smooth and billowy, almost like a snow drift. Scoop up a heaped dessertspoonful of the mixture. Using another dessertspoon, ease it on to the baking sheet to make an oval shape (pic 3). Or just drop them in rough rounds, if you prefer. Bake for 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 hours in a fan oven, 1 1⁄4 hours in a conventional or gas oven, until the meringues sound crisp when tapped underneath and are a pale coffee colour. Leave to cool on the trays or a cooling rack. (The meringues will now keep in an airtight tin for up to 2 weeks, or frozen for a month.) Serve two meringues sandwiched together with a generous dollop of softly whipped double cream
  • Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Brilliant, cheers Flow, I had been looking at this one online but i like to have recommendations, it had a lot of good reviews on web as well, I will go with that ?

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Have u tried this yet nabs?!

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I made it on sat and we ate it at fathers day picnic yesterday and it worked a treat and looked really impressive too, cheers for the recipe! How did your oreo cupcakes go? the pic looked fab!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i have to say (and not blow my own trumpet obv lol) they were bloody lush!! i found a recipie in uk measurements and the cakes were well gooey and choclatey and sticky and yummers.......stupidly i doubled the recipie tho and had 4 trays of cupcakes in and out of the oven saturday afternoon! cue lots of icing and finding tupperware to store them in!

Daddy Flow and Mr Fs dad were happy chaps!

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

I have never made meringues although someone told me that you should bung them in a hot oven, turn it off and leave them overnight without opening the oven door?

Flo - you should invest in some cupcake boxes.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i have lots of these, but only use them when giving cupcakes out to people, at home i store them in hayoooge tupperware boxes, stacked on the kitchen table....much to Mr Fs annoyance. Im trying to persuade him we NEED an extension to our already nicely sized kitchen lol

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Aha I see. I want a hooge kitchen with a Nigella style pantry. Which reminds me, must ask Mr S if we won the lottery at the weekend.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

haha i used to go round to delia smiths house (she lived next door to my sister boyf/future man friend and kids dad) and when she was babysitting wed go to his and play in his garden. I cant remeber why or how but we ended up playing in her garden and she has 2 kitchens, a tv kitchen and a normal one.....i want that!! A baking kitchen and a normal one, her 'tv' kitchen was in a gorgeous glass extension type conservatory thing and was gooooooooooorgeous

**sigh**

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Niiice! Well Nigella is getting a new kitchen put in their new home (old warehouse) and it's costing upwards of £500k!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics