Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner August 2016

Fairy lights

FutureMrsMarshall, 28 of January of 2016 at 15:13 Posted on Planning 0 7

Calling all diy brides...

I have a barn venue with some nice outside space, a courtyard and a garden, which I want to decorate with fairy lights. Can I do this myself or would it be best to hire a lighting company? If I go the diy route, are there affordable battery-powered fairy lights that would last the whole evening, or would I need to get really long extension cords? The barn itself has plenty of power sockets. Any experiences or advice...?

Thanks!!

7 replies

Latest activity by JennyPackhamBride, 30 of January of 2016 at 09:43
  • TrixieSaurus
    Beginner August 2016
    TrixieSaurus ·
    • Hide content

Hi FutureMrsMarshall,

I've ordered a bunch of battery powered LEDs from eBay. They do them in all different colours, dirt cheap from China, most take 3xAA batteries.

We've ordered 20 sets for our DIY centre-pieces - they cost 1.37 each for the 2metre ones - and I got 3 packs of 30 cheap AA batteries from the pound shop (as they're LED they don't draw much power so the batteries should last the day at least). They took about 3 weeks to arrive in the post, but the postage was free Smiley laugh

We went to a wedding in the summer and the couple bought a bunch of these and just wrapped them around beams outside etc and it looked really pretty once the sun went down Smiley smile

The ones we bought are eBay item number ****. They're microwire ones, so you can bend them into all sorts of shapes and they stay better than the christmas light type ones. They're like little grains of rice on a silver wire.

Hope this helps Smiley smile

• Beckalina
    Beginner April 2017
    Beckalina ·
    • Hide content

I'm thinking something similar for our marquee but I think the venue may have issues with me using anything unless it's PAT tested. So I got a quote from an events company just to see what kind of pricing I was looking at. For 4 strings of fairy lights they wanted £400!!!

• TrixieSaurus
    Beginner August 2016
    TrixieSaurus ·
    • Hide content

Hi Bekalina,

Battery powered items don't require PAT testing Smiley smile So you can save yourself a huge chunk with some fairy lights from eBay! They do 10 meter strings for about a fiver!

• Beckalina
    Beginner April 2017
    Beckalina ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Trixie, if I can get lights long enough then that's the route I will definitely be taking!

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Those "rice" ones do look interesting I have a few wedding couples this year in the same situ with regards to power.

I will look forward to your full review ?.

What I will say though is with china watch out for the delivery times, leave plenty of time. Also the stiff single wire may be more prone to snap than the normal stranded wire with a lot of bending back and forth, but should last a wedding.

I think that the 10m might be mains power via an adapter. Doesn't add up that 3 batts can power 1m as well as 10m. Unless its 3 batts will power 1m for 10 hours BUT in that case the same 3 batts will power 10m for just 1 hour.

May need looking into a bit more

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Perfectly doable if wrapping around the columns/beams - I would actually check with friends and family if they have any lights first before buying them loads of people have clear white lights we did this and only had to buy 1 light curtain.

If you have a friend who is a sparky even if another half of a friend or family then can PAT test cheaply for you.

• S
    Beginner April 2016
    samwillow ·
    • Hide content

I think you need the lightning company

• J
    Beginner December 2015
    JennyPackhamBride ·
    • Hide content

I used the 10m battery ones, they lasted the whole 24 hours they were on, not tried them since! I had the normal wire ones (rather than the rice ones) for beams / pillars. But did use the rice style ones around mini Christmas trees-all were good!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics