Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Terri
Beginner September 2023 Central & Glasgow

Fake Cake?

Terri, 14 of September of 2021 at 15:35 Posted on Planning 1 16

Hi Guys,

My fiancé and I are on a pretty tight budget, and we had the thought about having a fake cake for our wedding? we would get it professionally iced to save money.

We are thinking this won't be an issue because we are serving desert with our meal, will people even want cake?

Thinking of having cupcakes for he kiddos, what does everyone think?

Thanks!

Smiley heart

16 replies

Latest activity by Joro&Jro, 25 of September of 2021 at 23:32
  • Roxy
    Curious June 2022 Devon
    Roxy ·
    • Hide content

As in a cake you can't eat? Why don't you just not have a cake then? Paying for something to be iced that you can't eat seems like even more of a waste of money?

Do you just want the process of cutting one? If so, maybe a family member could make you a simple cake or you could buy one from a supermarket?

We're not having a cake at our wedding. A family friend has offered to make us cupcakes though so if people really want to eat cake then they can have those!

• Voiceoftruth
    Dedicated October 2021 Oxfordshire
    Voiceoftruth ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Roxy, if you want something to cut then get a cheaper cake from M&S or one of the supermarkets. Professionally icing a fake cake seems like an unnecessary expense.

I always want cake! I think most people have it put out later in the evening as something additional to put guests on through the night and soak up the alcohol. Depends on how your day isn’t planned. Personally, we are having our cake as dessert and I’m insisting that any left overs end up coming home with us! I think it’s one of the things I’m most excited about 😁

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

We are having a fake cake, as desert included in meal, but we are having cake pops inserted in to it and then that will be left for people to help themselves in the evening. We are lucky a friend is making the pops for us as our present and she is a baker, but you can do them yourself, really easy, just need the moulds to make the cake balls then dip in chocolate or icing. In terms of cutting, our baker is slicing a gap in the back of the fake one so we can insert the knife so we get the cutting shot!

• Littlemy
    Dedicated April 2022 Kent
    Littlemy ·
    • Hide content
    I think if its used as a prop for a traditional cake alternative then I can see thr point. If not I think dont bother if I saw a lovely iced cake as a guest and it wasn't cut/eaten I'd feel short changed.
  • Vinura
    Beginner August 2022 Kent
    Vinura ·
    • Hide content
    It depends on you, we’re also having a fake cake, except my mum is making it for us, so it’s free… she is also making cake to eat on the side
  • N
    Dedicated May 2022 Somerset
    Nathalie ·
    • Hide content
    I was at a wedding a couple of weeks ago and they didn’t have a cake…and I literally only realised it as I read your post. As a guest, I didn’t even notice there was no cake, no cake cutting, and no cake to eat. I was too busy having a good time ☺️
    We’re on the fence as we’re not cake eaters ourselves, so leaning towards not having one at all. not having one at all could be an option, depending on your reasons for wanting a fake one
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Not an expert on cake artistry but I am fairly sure that after the ingredients and expert cooking most of the skill and cost of a cake is in the bit that you see on the outside - the icing. So you may not save much.

Just don't have one or have cupcakes with a larger cup cake on the top as something to cut, I have seen a few do it this way, got a shot somewhere but imagine the top cake here being a big one.

Fake Cake? 1

• Deb
    Beginner December 2022 South East London
    Deb ·
    • Hide content
    I might be being overly simplistic here but do you want the fake cake (so that you have the lovely icing, the photos or whatever else it is that is drawing you to it)? If you do, it's your day, go ahead and you don't need to justify it. If you don't want it, and are just getting it because you feel like a big cake will be expected but don't actually want it or want to pay for it then...don't get it and do the thing that will make you feel most comfortable on the day. I caveat this with the fact that I'm not a cake person, I don't miss them when they aren't at weddings, and I am not having one at ours so take my words with a grain of salt or at least with that in mind. Love the idea of cupcakes for the kids (or all!) though.
  • C
    Curious September 2021 Nottinghamshire
    Caroline ·
    • Hide content
    We are having a smaller iced cake and then tray bakes to make up numbers. You could buy a christmas cake that lasts a while and add some fresh flowers that match your bouquet to make it look more wedding like.
  • MrsW
    Dedicated May 2022 South West London
    MrsW ·
    • Hide content
    We decided not to spend the money so are just not having one. I have a friend who didn't either and she said no one even noticed.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 Online ·
    • Hide content

You're not having cake? Right, I'm not coming Smiley laugh (cake fiend here!)

Seriously, if you're not actually having cake to eat, then I just wouldn't bother - you don't need to have one. And only serious cake addicts will notice.

If it's just an attempt to save money, get a cheap supermarket cake & stick a topper on it. We were budgeting around £16 for a cake to feed 30, plus topper, although our topper ended up being more expensive than the cake because we got a custom one! You can get nice standard toppers for just a couple of £.

• M
    Beginner April 2022 Suffolk
    Megan ·
    • Hide content
    We’re making a dummy cake and then having cutting bars from Waitrose for eating 🥰
  • Kadice
    Beginner October 2022 East London
    Kadice ·
    • Hide content

I considered doing this! There's a lot of people saying why bother getting a fake cake, but cake's are part of the decor, and pictures and should look nice. I am considering getting a fake cake iced and then buying a sheet cake from costco for £15 (they're pretty big and they're really nice), that way no one will know the cake is fake anyway. You can always also have the smallest layer of the cake real so you can have your cake eating photos with the hubby.

There are so many instagram bakers out there that I'm sure will ice the cake for next to nothing.

Good luck! Smiley smile

• Rachel
    Curious November 2021 Hampshire
    Rachel ·
    • Hide content
    We're just getting a small M&S one for the cutting, and some smaller individual ones for eating. Smiley smile
  • G
    Beginner July 2023 West London
    Gemma ·
    • Hide content

A friend of mine had a polystyrene cake on her wedding cake. She had made a home made cake the night before her wedding and cut it all up into pieces so that guest could take it home but then had the polystyrene cake for display on the actual wedding day.

• J
    Curious September 2022 West Yorkshire
    Joro&Jro ·
    • Hide content
    Hey
    I’m hoping to get a super cheap cake. I’ve been to three weddings this year and can’t remember/didn’t see any cake cutting or served on the evening!
    Hoping to maybe do cookies or something similar as favours and keep a couple to the side for evening guests x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics