Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hedwig2014
Beginner October 2014

Fake flowers vs. Real

Hedwig2014, 11 of June of 2014 at 22:04 Posted on Planning 0 20

Lovely ladies,

I'm getting married in October and we are on a budget after having splashed out on a pianist!

So, I want to ask you, have any of you ordered fake flowers instead of real for bouquets/table centrepieces etc? If so, what was the quality like, where did you order from? I have seen a couple I like on a website called Sarah's Flowers but seeing as the one I like is nearly £70 I'm wondering is it worth it?

I am having a navy blue theme so hard to find real navy flowers anyway!!

Any advice greatly appreciated and apologies if this topic has been covered before - fairly new to the site!!

Thanks all xxxxx

20 replies

Latest activity by HundredMonkeys, 13 of June of 2014 at 21:01
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I had a silk bouquet when I got married. It still looks as good as new 23 years later!

I don't think artificial is cheaper.... cheap fake flowers are cheaper, good ones are not really. There are some amazing paper flower makers, one that comes to mind is Oricraft and there's a lady in Poland who is incredible but I can't remember her name.

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

I'm having silk flowers, partly because I want purple and partly because our wedding it the Sunday after Christmas and I thought getting real flowers sorted might be difficult. We're using Pink Lilac.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Apart from the keeping them forever and getting the colours, artificial flowers have lots of benefits on the day.
    They are lightweight - some real bouquets I have come across are very heavy. Also real flowers always seem to be sprayed and covered in water and because they are kept in water the stems are soaking wet and so have to be dried before anyone wants to hold them anywhere near their dress.
    Artificial flowers don't get bruised when you put them down so you don't have to be so careful with them all day.
    Artificial flowers don't attract wasps or bees, droop or get snapped, I I've seen so many oasis type real bouquets that get the stems snapped or the flowers just drop out during the day.
    Whatever the reason you go for real flowers you have to be prepared to look after them all day.
    Being artificial also means that you can get them weeks in advance and if anything is wrong you have the chance to put it right and also its knowing that you DO actually have them in your hands.
    I have seen so much stress when the fresh flowers are supposed to be delivered and they are not there on time, leading to frantic searching for phone numbers and just generally adding to what can already be a stressful time for you, and that stress that it creates does linger even after the fresh flowers have arrived 10 min late.
    The only draw back from artificial flowers is that -------------- well they ain't real ! if that's what you want you always wanted,
  • 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

agree completely with this especially from a money saving point of view, they also make a great memento to keep afterwards

• B
    Beginner November 2015
    Bridally ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd love to know what kind of price it costs you to make these yourself! i'm thinking of making one for myself but no idea if it would be worth just buying one??

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

We are either having real flowers or none. We're growing our own and if it goes well we'll have bouquets and buttonholes but if it doesn't we won't have flowers. There are so many choices now that it just isn't necessary to have flowers at all: I've seen some amazing tables centres on here which are flower free, button or brooch bouquets, allsorts.

I like flowers so will carry soem if it works out well, but I like them for their delicacy, their scent and the fact that they are flowers, which is rather lost in the artificial ones, even if they do look as good.

• BAMS
    Beginner November 2014
    BAMS ·
    • Hide content

We're having artificial flowers as our wedding is in November and if I was having real I would want locally sourced - and there aint much available in November!! I love the idea of the growing your own to use and would definitely have done this!!

My 'fakes' arrived earlier this week and I'm really pleased with them, OK not as lovely as real but as I'm only really going to need them for a walk down the aisle I would rather spend the money on something else.

• T
    Beginner October 2014
    Trueowl ·
    • Hide content

I've just ordered my fake flowers from The Brides Bouquet - they have a website and a Facebook page.

My main reason for choosing fake over real is so I have my flowers in advance and I don't have to worry about them not arriving on the day!

• M
    Beginner May 2015
    missgeebee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^^^ this, AND they don't make your eyes swell, your nose go bright red and your throat scratchy!! My number 1 reason!

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

Ours are fake. I didn't want to spend much on flowers as I don't see them as a focal point. I got some roses from Ebay, they are a dark red with a 'smoked' effect so a hint of black and are absolutely perfect for our colour scheme, I wouldn't have been able to match real flowers so perfectly. They cost about £50 for the whole lot and I had enough to make 3 bouquets, 6 buttonholes and the cake topper.

• Hedwig2014
    Beginner October 2014
    Hedwig2014 ·
    • Hide content

Ladies

Thanks so much for your replies. The more I think about it, the more confused I get!

H2B likes the idea of real flowers but being a bit of a control freak I do like to see what I am getting before the day!

I am still so unsure on what to do for our table centrepieces. We are collecting jam jars at the moment and we like the idea of pine cones (autumn wedding) - so maybe flowers arent necessary at all. Candles are good too. I also liked the idea of wheat in the middle of the table but when we found some it just didn't look special enough.

Any alternative suggestions for tables? What are you ladies having?

Thanks xx

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How about something like this.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

We are not having centrepieces as such, we have got some large black candelabras with red candles and will just have one of those on each table. No rules for centrepieces, go with whatever suits your theme :-)

• C
    Beginner October 2014
    CoopsJ68 ·
    • Hide content

Hi , I'm also getting married in October and having a Navy & Ivory theme. I've gone for foam flowers from the TheBridesBouquet.co.uk. I did post a picture on a previous post so I'll try and add this on to this one for you. The navy blue flowers are lovely. I've also got individual one's to do my table centrepieces and to put round the cake.

• TheCandyEmporium
    TheCandyEmporium ·
    • Hide content

You can always hire them! Smiley smile

www.CandyEmporiumRipon.Weebly.com - Absolutely beautiful silk flowers. Really good quality xxxx

• M
    Beginner October 2014
    Miezy83 ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in Oct too and have ordered my flowers from Silk Blooms! I haven't had them delivered yet but had excellent service and they look beautiful on the website! Anything can be customised for your needs. They cost more than I thought they would being artificial but I just love the idea of being able to keep them after the day !

• Dizzycaz
    Beginner October 2014
    Dizzycaz ·
    • Hide content

I'm also getting married in October and also ordered my flowers from silk blooms, I ordered a buttonhole first so I could see the quality before I took the plunge, the button hole is stunning and the service is second to none, can't wait to receive my bouquets and other flowers now, take a look at their website you have nothing to lose by looking Smiley smile

personally for me I want to keep my bouquet and the cost of preserving real flowers swayed my decision. Xx

• Pandabarney
    Beginner August 2014
    Pandabarney ·
    • Hide content

My bouquet and the bridesmaids flowers are fake and the buttonholes and mums corsages and ceremony flowers are real. I have ordered my bouquet from a Facebook seller called Not 2 Shabby heirloom blooms. She has really reasonable prices.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

My bouquet and OHs buttonhole were made by Over the Rainbow florist who is on here. They are absolutely beautiful and just what I wanted - they also look very real! I highly recommend her, I am so pleased I decided to go for artificial, the main reason being is that I can keep them for many years...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics