Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner May 2025 West Yorkshire

Fake or Real ... That is the Question

Jess, 21 of June of 2022 at 13:40 Posted on Planning 1 31

Hi Everyone,

Having abit of a struggle between Real or Fake Flowers for the Wedding!

I feel like the real ones won't last and can't really be kept without extra cost to preserve them!

So I'm left thinking maybe fake would be better ?

31 replies

Latest activity by Gemma, 8 of July of 2022 at 13:56
  • A
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

I've gone for fake and I'm really pleased about it as a decision - I love the idea of keeping my bouquet and my bridesmaids can keep theirs too, the fake quote was also 1/4 the price of real(!!) which meant we could move that money to the honeymoon budget!

• J
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think I am leaning more toward fake if I'm being totally honest. The cost the fact they last are big factors! I’m all for more money for the honeymoon budget!!

• Sheilla
    Curious June 2023 Cambridgeshire
    Sheilla ·
    • Hide content

Hi - being nosey here. I've been thinking about getting fake flowers too but my OH doesn't believe they'll look good. But i know they can! Just wondering where you recommend getting decent fake flowers from? Many thanks

• L
    Dedicated September 2023 Derbyshire
    Lizzie ·
    • Hide content
    My friend had artifical flowers and they looked fine (still got my bouquet from being her bridesmaid in my attic), and another friend had real flowers which I pressed a few petals from that bouquet too.
    I'm looking on Etsy for artificial flowers though. They seem to have a good selection, though searching on Google brings up many alternatives.
  • J
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi, I’m just looking on Etsy at the moment. I’m considering creating my own! It’s all just abit of research at the moment ☺️
  • J
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m also looking on Etsy! I’m even considering giving my creative side a go and seeing if I can create my own! ☺️
  • Sarah
    Dedicated October 2022 Swansea
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like you have time to research and find good quality, affordable fake flowers if that's what suits you. A good tip is to get containers first or at least take measurements of vases - I then went around some shops with a vase in my handbag(!!!) but it helped me narrow down the right size stems so items only needed minimal trimming - you don't want to buy fake then get stressed hacking things all down to size. Have a browse in places like Hobbycraft, The Range and Dunelm and take some images to see how things photograph. The decision to go fake was based on the fact that I am transporting wedding decor a few hours away 2 days before and know nothing will wilt/be affected by hot/cold temperatures or transit and have been able to test run displays months in advance to be sure I really am happy with the colors and style. I will probably blend in some foraged real ivy/greens. There's some lovely, affordable fake/dried flower packages online on places like Etsy. Doing it yourself is fun but will be time consuming, I have set evenings/weekends aside in advance and take plenty of pictures as you try things out. The plus side is I will keep lots and hopefully get back some money as you can sell on some items to others.

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Here is my take on artificial flowers.

You are not limited by colour,

They are not affected by seasonal supply and availability .

So many times I have seen brides stressed because the flowers were late being delivered, you can get the artificial months in advance.

They will not get bruised / floppy or loose any heads from being snapped off during the days use

They do not attract wasps - bees and flies.

You can keep them forever.

Some real flower bouquets can actually be quite heavy to carry around all day, artificial ones are very light weight.

In the photos you can not tell that they are artificial. And actually I have been fooled at first glance when seeing them for the first time during bridal prep shots, some are really very good.

But they are not real and for some only real will do and professional florist are experts.

• Emma
    Beginner October 2022 Norfolk
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    I'm going for fake! It just seems silly to spend that much on real flowers and then just throw them away.
  • Ostira
    Dedicated October 2023 Durham
    Ostira ·
    • Hide content
    I’m going with some dried preserved flowers from Etsy! That way I can keep them and they are still real and have their scent
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    I’m actually having both! My florist will provide fake for the banister and staircase of our venue which was half the price of real but my bouquet is real. I have 4 junior BMs so they are having a wrist corsage (real) instead of bouquets. This kept cost down and fits in with my vintage theme!
  • J
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the advice ☺️
  • J
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s actually great to hear from your perspective as one of my concerns is that the photos wouldn’t look great with them!! You actually make some very valid points also about BUGS! As our wedding is on a lake!! The more I read the more I’m sold on Fake! Thank you for you advice 🙌🏼
  • J
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s one of the main reasons I’m looking more and more into fake! We are doing a “Budget Wedding” so I’m saving where I can!!

• J
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Having a mix sounds really nice especially if it suits what you want and the theme! I love the idea of wrist corsages for the Jr BMs that sounds really sweet!!
  • C
    Beginner August 2022 Staffordshire
    Chioma ·
    • Hide content
    Hi I've got fake and real flowers for Mt wedding . These are mine i cant weit to get married soon xxFake or Real ... That is the Question 1

• A
    Beginner March 2023 Gloucestershire
    Aimee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    These are lovely, where are they from ? Xx
  • C
    Beginner August 2022 Staffordshire
    Chioma ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/nettskrafts

She's amazing lady. I told her I wanted a heart shaped bouquet. She first designed it and showed me once I agreed she made them then I paid. She's 5 stars 🌟. She's done our bridesmaids and button holes too xx
  • Danielle
    Curious March 2023 East Sussex
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content
    I've gone for fake I've made my own bouquet also it's a keepsake and more affordable. Fake or Real ... That is the Question 2
    The handle has blue ribbon. It cost me around £40 to make and I've never made anything like this before. Fake or Real ... That is the Question 3

• Elizabeth
    Dedicated October 2023 Cumbria
    Elizabeth ·
    • Hide content
    Https://www.driedflowersdecor.co.uk/

I found this place on Instagram if it’s any help. Is wholesale dried flowers. I’ll be getting a bouquet and button holes etc from a florist with a mix of fresh and dried I think but was going to do my own dried flowers table decorations
  • L
    North London
    Lily ·
    • Hide content
    Is your wedding themed? Dry flowers might be a nice option - they’re real so still look and smell nice but last forever.
  • Sinéad
    Dedicated October 2022 Cork
    Sinéad ·
    • Hide content
    Hey
    I'm having fake flowers . I'm getting them from flowers by Jane. I hoping to frame my bouquet after the wedding.
  • Sarah
    Curious July 2022 Cheshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    I have fake and can keep for years to come
  • Leanne
    Dedicated September 2022 West Yorkshire
    Leanne ·
    • Hide content
    I am super lucky as my mum is make me a bouquet out of fake flowers but she handcrafted them so I have them as a keepsake afterwards
    She also did this for my niece last year it was wonderful
    Even if she didn't I would have still gone for fake ones as again you have them as a little keepsake
  • Leanne
    Dedicated September 2022 West Yorkshire
    Leanne ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Love these !
    We have small sunflower button holes and if my mum wasn't making mine this bouquet would be just want I would want. Its beautiful
  • J
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    These are stunning 😍
  • J
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m going for fake!! The positives for fake outweigh the ones for real 😁!! It’s mostly cost and keepsake that are swaying me xx
  • S
    Beginner September 2022 Somerset
    Sophie_Broadway ·
    • Hide content
    I brought fake bridesmaid flowers but my mum wanted me to have fresh. Due to the difference in look I’m now having all fresh!
  • Jamie
    Dedicated October 2022 Argyll
    Jamie ·
    • Hide content

Dried and preserved make a nice alternative, though the last two weddings I went to (as a bridesmaid), both of the brides made their own bouquets. One used maps (she's big on travelling) to make sort of simple origami flowers, which were beautiful. Another used each of her bridesmaid's favourite books (she's an English teacher) to make paper roses and mixed them with blue artificial flowers. All in all, not a bad idea for a personal touch, if you're in any way crafty!

• Rebekah
    Beginner December 2022 Northumberland
    Rebekah ·
    • Hide content
    We went for fake which was mainly a decision as I wasn't too fussed about the flowers and suffer badly with hay fever. They were so much cheaper than some of the real flower quotes I got
  • G
    Curious November 2022 Leicestershire
    Gemma ·
    • Hide content

I've gone for fake and ordered these from Shein of all places! For the cost, i dont think they look too bad at all and when they are properly arranged (there are more, this is just a selection) I think they will be fine 🙂 (excuse the feet in shot!) Fake or Real ... That is the Question 4

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics