Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2015

Fallen in love with a dress way out my budget

MrsB2015, 11 of March of 2014 at 13:43 Posted on Planning 0 14

Decided to pop into a dress shop today and tried on a dress I never thought I would like in a million years! Well I completely fell in love with it then noticed the price tag!

OH hasn't said anything about budget on a dress and so far he's been amazing letting me have practically anything I want but the shop was selling the dress for £1750! I just can't seem to justify spending that money on a dress. The designer in Sophia Tolli and this is the dress. If anyone knows anywhere selling it cheaper or anything simelar please let me know!

Part of me wishes I hadn't tried it on Smiley sad

14 replies

Latest activity by Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+, 15 of March of 2014 at 00:07
  • *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

That is a gorgeous dress!

Have you tried ebay or preloved?

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

Tried looking but it's this seasons and only just been released. Well so the bridal shop told me! My wedding isn't till next year so will be keeping my eye out for it! It's completely not me so totally shocked how much I love it

xx

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

If you're willing to take the risk, you could wait until it comes up in the sample sale, or alternatively, look around for similar styles by other designers or perhaps from past collections. Luckily it's a fairly popular style at present . You'll find others very very similar that are likely to be in your price range. Often, the first step is finding the right style which you've clearly done. Ebay and Pre-loved are also good options to keep an eye on over the coming months to see if one comes up. hth

• ShropshireLass
    Beginner April 2014
    ShropshireLass ·
    • Hide content

That is a beautiful dress, no wonder you've fallen in love!!

I am the least dressy person I know and at the start of wedding planning, was convinced I would buy the cheapest and simplest dress I could find. After all it's only for one day, right? My sister and mom dragged me round dress shops and I ended up really getting into it and typically, fell head over heels for a Benjamin Roberts dress with TONS of detail...and a hefty price tag of £1350. I was so annoyed with myself, but after many tears and tantrums I decided to just go for it...you only get to do this once, right!! (hopefully).

I agree with what others have said though, pre loved/sample sales etc and now you've found a style you love, I'm sure you'll have no problem finding other dresses which you love just as much but a little kinder on the budget!! GL xx

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful!

My sister fell in love with a very expensive pronovias dress. She sold it on ebay after the wedding and got a really good price for it. You could always try that? It's a risk but I imagine it would be popular... Stunning dress by a known, v good designer.

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    cath4512 ·
    • Hide content

My daughter is selling sophia tolli Jillian if you like that one x

• P
    pamsamis ·
    • Hide content

How much cheaper were you hoping for?

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

I didn't really want to pay more than £1200 for a dress x

• Charb4990
    Beginner September 2015
    Charb4990 ·
    • Hide content

Lovely dress The one I bought was £1800 in the shop. After lots of research I found it in a 12 for £900 in a sample sale!! It's currently at my mums but at two sizes too big it will need altering but that will be done nearer the time

you've got lots of time to look and if this is the one then I would either bite the bullet and cut back on other things or wait and look in a sample sale or if anyone is selling on pre loved. There is loads of wedding dresses great condition on there all the time x

• P
    pamsamis ·
    • Hide content

Don't know if this will help then but here goes ....

In Cornwall my sister shortlisted this as one of her favourites. The shop quoted us £1380. They had lots of packages which made it a bit cheaper again like:-

1,if you pay in full upfront (instead of half now and half when you collect) you get 5% off

2, if you buy the stock sample (they said its brand new in) you get 10% off

3, if you collect it within a week of it arriving and get it altered elsewhere they will give 10% off.

if you did one of the 10% off deals it's close to where you want to pay. I don't remember what size the sample was though. The third option might suit you best anyway saves you coming down to Cornwall. You could ask them to post it. Downside is finding someone to alter it if it needs it. Anyway hope that helps if you are interested I will tell you name of shop as not sure you can put websites on here

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I would recommend my daughter`s dressmaker who made her a stunning gown at a very good price

It is Love couture in Norwich

Lynne

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I share your pain! I've fallen in love with Maggie Sottero Emma, but my budget is £500 ?! Not getting married for a few years yet, so hopefully I'll find it preloved or something nearer the time.

• A
    Beginner July 2014
    Aykay ·
    • Hide content

The same happened to me. I tried on 30 dresses but they couldn't compare. It wasnt even my idea to try it on...the shop had just got it in and wanted to see it on someone tall. I couldnt justify it but h2b convinced me to go with my heart. I did get it from a different shop tho as I frlt the original shop shouldnt have pushed me into trying something that far over my budget. I haggled and saved £200 but with alterations it could easily end up £500 over budget. I got my shoes and veil in the sale,researched hard to get good prices for entertainment etc and abandoned some other things I wanted. I am embarrassed to tell anyone how much im spending on one dress but I have not regretted it one bit. Its not my fault it costs a fortune to make me look good!! Do try lots of other dresses tho. If you find another one you love then thats fantastic. If you dont and you decide to blow the budget or cut back elsewhere then at least you will know you did look for a more sensible option.

• Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+
    Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+ ·
    • Hide content

What size are you looking for Beckiclaire2012?

Im afraid as it is a new gown (and I have it in my shop too) that it is unlikely you will find it anywhere much cheaper. You may get it a little cheaper if you shop out of major cities or you may be able to take advantage of a special offer like free headress or veil. It is a stunning dress and very good quality lace and tulle, as all of Sophia Tolli are.

It is a very classic style though so you may find other designers have a similar shape and cut for less money?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics