Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner November 2022 Lothian & Borders

Family ๐Ÿ™„

Em, 10 of May of 2021 at 22:47 Posted on Planning 0 5
Hi, hoping for some help as I'm really stuck with how to handle this situation. I've always had a very funny relationship with my mum. She's very controlling. Myself and my partner got engaged late last year and are in the process of trying to plan our wedding. Myself and my mum had a big fall out and didn't talk for months over a family member she hates. She has finally started talking to me again and trying to bring up wedding planning. She has already gave a nasty opinion on where I would like to be married, and tried to show me somewhere she likes instead. She has told me not to wear a specific style dress as it won't suit me. I can also see on the day of choosing a dress she will be trying to force her preference onto me. And I can't not bring her along as she has offered to pay for it. The worst part of it all though is she has told me that she won't attend (her own daughters wedding ๐Ÿ˜) if this other family member is there. I am now stuck in a really awful position of having to tell my family member they can't come, and look like a horrible person, when they have already told me how they looked forward to it. It also means if they don't come, most likely the rest of the family won't as they have to travel a fair distance. It will mean a good chunk of my family won't be there just to suit her. Otherwise it means bringing them, and my own mum doesn't turn up which would just feel absurd. And I have no idea how to then explain to everybody why she isn't there. I'm sorry this all sounds absolutely ridiculous but I'm truly at wits end and don't know how to handle this. I suppose I'm hoping somebody that has been in a similar position has some words of wisdom? ๐Ÿ˜ญ

5 replies

Latest activity by Clare, 11 of May of 2021 at 22:10
  • Vintagebluetulip
    Beginner August 2021 Suffolk
    Vintagebluetulip ยท
    • Hide content
    Hi. I'm not in a similar position as such but one of my close family members isn't attending because of family drama and it's very upsetting. I will also have to explain to everyone at the wedding why they aren't there as it will be really obvious. I just had to accept it and remember it's their loss if they decide not to come.
    Have you tried talking to your mum and explain how this makes you feel? Perhaps her saying she won't come to the wedding is an empty threat, call her bluff? Would she really not attend her daughter's wedding over this? I would invite them both and then if your mum decides not to attend it is her choice and she will have to live with that. It's a horrible situation but remember it's not your fault.
  • E
    Beginner November 2022 Lothian & Borders
    Em ยท
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Unfortunately she wouldn't listen if I tried to explain, and would just kick off ๐Ÿ™„ and I'm confident that she's being serious, she does things like this all the time at family events, previous weddings and funerals and has always stood by her word ๐Ÿ˜” just never expected her to do it to me.
    I appreciate your reply, it makes me feel a little bit better. Thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š
  • V
    Dedicated October 2021 Oxfordshire
    Voiceoftruth ยท
    • Hide content

Your story makes me feel so sad for you!

One of my sisters sounds a little similar to your mum. If she were doing this to me, I would be seriously considering whether she meant enough to me to have to cut out a huge chunk of my family. Honestly... I think I would choose more of my extended family over her!! Obviously itโ€™s different being your mum. But I guess that might be a helpful question for you to ask yourself: considering how your mum behaves (and it sounds like she is regularly difficult), would you rather she was there over a lot of other familyโ€™s members?

Also... is there the possibility that you will have anotherโ€™s disagreement before the wedding and she will decide not to attend anyway? If so, it might be a good idea to invite the other family member?

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ยท
    • Hide content

I know this is really hard, especially with a mother, but you need to set some boundaries - right now!

For a start, I would not let her pay for the dress or come with you when you shop for a dress. You already know that she is going to be negative and critical about this whole experience, so don't put yourself through it. You may not be able to afford such an expensive dress without her help, but at least it will be the dress of your choice, and bought without a load of negativity and drama tainting the experience.

I would also take a firm stand on the invite list. Invite both your mother and the guest she dislikes. If mother says she won't come, your response should be "I'm really sorry to hear this, Mum, I will be very sad if you don't come to my wedding. But it is your choice whether you come or not." Because it totally is. The only thing that will be preventing her attending is her own bad attitude. And that's not something you should be responsible for.

Don't let other people's bad behaviour control your own actions. Expect her to kick off more than usual when you first start boundary-setting. People who have been used to bullying and walking all over other people for years tend to react badly the first time they find they can't anymore. But if you stand firm, eventually she will realise that you are going to keep those boundaries in place.

You need to have good firm boundaries to protect the health of your future marriage anyway, so now is a really good time to start.

(And I'm speaking as someone who has had terrible trouble with my own mother in the past, so I know from experience how tough it can be - sending hugs & best wishes x)

• C
    Beginner July 2021 Buckinghamshire
    Clare ยท
    • Hide content
    Oh bless you. Itโ€™s very hard , youโ€™re never going to please everyone. Mothers are the hardest! Enjoy your day, sounds like your mother is going to have an issue with anything or something. She taking your limelight x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics