Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner October 2014

family and friends not interested

melmoon, 21 of August of 2014 at 14:05 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

Hey al, long time website fan but first time moaner :/

I hope this doesn't sound too whingy but our wedding is in October and I just feel people have barely shown the slightest interest. A close friend got married last year and everyone was so excited and supportive for her wedding. We share all the same friends but now no one is barely replying to their invites, and most are moaning about how they willhave to get home somehow afterwards (the wedding is in our town its not far away at all). We don't have alot of money and can only afford to give everyone one drink at the beginning of the reception which we are doing because all my friends said they can't afford to buy drinks Smiley sad (its a local pub, not a posh venue).

Loads of family and friends have dropped out of.coming after promising to be there, some by just ignoring me, I feel a bit upset that most of the friends I thought I had don't want to be there and a few are asking me if I can arrange their transport! I have tried everything to help all the guests as.much as I can but just feel like no one wants to celebrate our day. My fiance and I are just looking foward to our honeymoon as all our family both sides have just made jokes about how long the marriage will last and all saying they are dreading coming due to not getting along with other family members!

Did anyone else have this kinda trouble? Sorry for the rant!

9 replies

Latest activity by Erin8, 24 of August of 2014 at 12:17
  • Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Firstly, welcome to Hitched!

Secondly, this should really be on WP, but we'll let it slide just this once ?

Thirdly, I'm sorry you're having such a rubbish time with your friends and family. Snide remarks are uncool, but you've just got to ignore it. As for your friends being awkward, I think you've just got to accept it. You can't force people to be excited for you - either they are or they aren't. The whole transport thing really isn't your problem - if they want to come, they'll have to make their own way back. Finally, if your friends can't afford to drink, well, tap water is free. ?

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

It's remarkable how many people moan about a wedding when they would never moan about what you're doing when you invite them round for say a bbq or sunday roast. Don't worry about it. Everyone organising a wedding has come accross the Moany Guest.

Just enjoy your day and honeymoon. If they can't sort out their own transport it's not your problem. IF they dont like the other guests attending, again, it's not your problem.

I am sure there will be people attending who are happy for you.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

Search for some of my posts in WP - they say much the same thing! We have 2 weeks to go and still a few people haven't rsvp'd. The bridesmaids have done nothing to help, my Mum and sister turned their noses up at my dress...I could go on.

Anyway, just concentrate on the day being what you both want, everyone else can take or leave it. It is hard to ignore hurtful remarks, I have been in tears over it but it isn't worth it x

• Red Kite
    Beginner
    Red Kite ·
    • Hide content

Thread hijack but CrazyRatLady - just two weeks? Blimey that's gone past quickly! Exciting stuff.

OP - I agree with what everyone else has said - at some weddings guests have to buy all their own drinks and transport really isn't your problem. With one exception so far, all of the weddings I have attended the guests have arranged their own way to get there and back. People are grumpy moo moo cows sometimes - just ignore them. (Shuffles back out after providing zero value or new information to the topic).

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Me too! Sorry your family and friends are being rubbish.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Me too! Sorry your family and friends are being rubbish.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

2 weeks today ? which is why I no longer have time to care what my family are/aren't doing!!

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content

Echoing what the others have said. Sorry that they are all rubbish, but show them you don't care about their negativity by having an absolutely awesome day regardless of their behaviour!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

We had very similar issues so l know how it feels. People moaning are out of order, they don't have to come after all! If l was you l would continue to enjoy the planning with your husband-to-be -the time will start to go very quickly soon. Try to ignore their lack of enthusiasm and moaning

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics