Skip to main content
Emma
Curious August 2023 East Sussex

Family Drama

Emma, 1 of January of 2022 at 17:19 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 6
Saved

Hi everyone!

Our wedding is booked for August 2023. When we were going through the guest list with my MIL-to-be, she mentioned she won't be coming to the wedding if we invite my fiancée's auntie. This is because of a feud they had over ten years ago. My fiancée gets on very well with her auntie and we would both very much like her and her partner to be there for our big day, but we do not want to cause any sort of unnecessary drama that might distract from the reason we are all coming together. We also, for obvious reasons, absolutely want my fiancée's mum to be there, and to enjoy the day.

What would you do in this situation?

TIA (and Happy New year)!

6 replies

Latest activity by Emma, 3 of January of 2022 at 12:41
  • Stephanie
    Beginner June 2024 Lothian & Borders
    Stephanie ·
    I think it’s yours and your other half’s day, it’s not about your MIL or her feuds. For 24 hours I’m sure they can stay out of each other’s directions!

Family drama is the worst part about planning a wedding! 🤦🏽‍♀️ Hope you can sort it out x
  • Emma
    Emma ·
    View quoted message

Thank you!

I do really hope she is able to come around and put things aside for one day... We still have a year to mediate so fingers crossed!Smiley atonished

• MrsRtoH
    Savvy October 2022 Merseyside
    MrsRtoH ·
    Hello! I had a bit of drama around this, I found that once the person - in your case, the mil, has had some time to mull this over and think about how selfish and ridiculous she's being, she will bend but a bit nearer to the time. Would she realistically miss her child's wedding because of an old feud? No chance. Hold your ground xxxx
  • R
    Super July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·

I've heard of loads of people who have threatened not to come to a wedding if someone else is/is not invited (we had two cases with our wedding). I can't think of one person who has carried through with that threat.

If anyone tells you they won't come unless...[insert reason here], simply reply that you will be sorry to miss their presence at your wedding, but understand if they choose to decline the invitation. Don't get drawn into any arguments or defence. Your wedding is what it is. It's their choice whether or not to come.

• Emma
    Emma ·
    View quoted message

Thank you for the advice!

• Emma
    Emma ·
    View quoted message

Oh I definitely hope so! Thanks for the advice.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics