Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner October 2019

Family drama

SunnyGoldCars700, 5 of November of 2016 at 01:38 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi,

I'm really hoping I can get an opinion on what to do in my situation. I've recently gotten engaged to the person I've been with for quite a few years. Unbeknown to me, his sister then announces she's engaged the next day and was worried it would ruin it for me. It doesn't. I'm completely happy for them and was excited to start our wedding planning bliss together.

However, she doesn't seem to have the same views. Since we've came back, she seems to be doing a lot of stuff that we could do as a family separate, for example going to their grandparents to celebrate. Fair enough having some time alone is expected, we've done it too. But every time I suggest something like going to a wedding fair or going out together to celebrate, she makes excused.

It's fine if she is busy but I'm beginning to feel like I have ruined her big moment rather than the other way round. I'm really unsure about how to deal with this as my fiance does not seem to notice these things also.

Any advice or tough love would be nice haha!

4 replies

Latest activity by Mrs_Conduct, 7 of November of 2016 at 14:55
  • E
    Beginner January 2018
    ExpensiveGoldDecor708 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement ? are you particularly close to your sis in law to be ? I think it's lovely you want to share doing wedding things together and maybe when actual plans have been made she will want to do things with you.

Personally I love just me and my fianceè doing all our wedding plans and going to fayres to look at the various suppliers. It's so mind boggling and hard to take everything in so until we know what we like, we don't really want to share it with others in case it confuses us. We also want elements of it like the entertainment to be a surprise.

I would give her time to enjoy being engaged too in her little bubble world which is how we feel at the moment, and I'm sure when she's ready she will be more willing to share in celebrations with you. don't let it come between you xx

• L
    Beginner May 2017
    lucyjo ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I would second that. I think it's important to have some couple-time at the start of wedding planning, because it's an amazingly personal occasion as well as a reason for the whole family to celebrate. I know I couldn't wait to share our engagement news with our families and have that special time with them talking about our plans and ideas. That's hard to do when there are two couples and two weddings to discuss in the same get-together - I think you'd probably both come away feeling a bit short-changed, no matter how thrilled for each other you are. Give it a few months until all the main plans are made, then you'll both have more head-space for shared celebrations. The early days of planning are the most sensitive - perhaps your SIL is a bit anxious that you might end up having all the same things if you do too much together?

x

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content

Perhaps she doesn't mind that you both got engaged so close but wants "her" time with "her" grandparents, rather than sharing all of the excitement with her brother and his fianceé?

I'm not sure I'd be too keen on going to a wedding fair full stop, but if I did go I'd want to go with my OH. Perhaps she feels the same, or is busy, or is overwhelmed. I really wouldn't think too much about it because you'll just end up spoiling things for yourself, and it might be over nothing!

Just enjoy your engagement Smiley smile We're always here if you want to chat weddings!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Agree totally with other posters. Keep your seperat spots in the limelight for now as it seems to be what she wants. See if she wants to change that further down the line.

You sound fairly easy going but sometimes some people are a bit worried that others will 'borrow ? their ideas'. Possibly there is a bit of that also.

As said we love hearing everyone's thoughts and plans! Have either of you decided on dates yet? X

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

I agree with other posters. I know it's different but I have two friends that are getting married next year too. One of them doesn't discuss weddings with me at all, other than to tell me I can't have this or that because she is, the other I meet with regularly and chat weddings. We swap ideas, supplier details etc. We're even having the same DJ and she's using some tables decorations from my engagement party but why not our weddings will be completely different! People work very differently Smiley smile Give her time she might start chatting about it more when the lime light fades a little xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics