Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

mustard_mitt
Beginner September 2015

Family feud - should I invite?

mustard_mitt, 27 of January of 2014 at 12:27 Posted on Planning 0 9

Putting together some draft numbers for the wedding/evening party and I wondered if anyone has been in a similar family situation and could give some advice.

The thing is, I don't want some of my Mum's family there. Her two brothers have been really nasty to her in recent years, since my grandparents passed away. My mum was heartbroken by their cruel, nasty and inappropriate comments and got really very upset about it all.

We think it stems from them not approving of my dad (they've been married over 30 years!). I just don't understand why they could say such hateful things to my mum. She's done nothing but support them since their parents died and they just turned on her. My dad's family are more family to mum nowadays. I don't want to invite my uncles, but I do want to invite my mum's aunt and her family, who Mum is still close to.

Mum seems to think, regardless of what's happened, I should invite them because they're still family and it's the right thing to do and to show we don't lower ourselves to their level, but I don't want to. I appreciate I am stooping to their level, but I don't want them to know when or where my wedding is, let alone give them the option to turn up. They may be blood relations but they've had nothing to do with me for years and why would I ever want to see them again after they hurt my mum so badly?

Question is, can I get away with only inviting some of her family without involving the others? I don't want to cause more of a rift in the family, but I just don't want them there and I don't trust them to behave appropriately. Am I justified in not inviting any of them or should I swallow my feelings and try to build bridges?

9 replies

Latest activity by mustard_mitt, 27 of January of 2014 at 21:53
  • miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

I didn't want to invite mr winters sister. i loathe this woman with a passion and if she turned up i'd leave. but eventually i was worn down (his mums cancer took a turn for the worse and MY mum said i had to invite the sister as this may be the last big family thing), so i relented as far as evening- i just couldn't bring myself to a full day. the happiest day of my life thus far was mr winter getting a decline text from her.

i wish i'd never put the envelope in the post- i just got lucky with her declining. if you really don't want these people there and it won't cause a HUGE rift, stick to your guns xxx

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Mine isn't a family feud as such, but I don't want to invite a woman I've known all my life who was my mum's best friend. In recent years, since my brother died, she's treated my mum horribly and my mum was really upset by the whole thing. Recently they've started to rebuild some bridges, but I just don't trust her not to let my mum down again. So, I've made a decision to not make a decision until the day I put the invites in the post - I'm making her two - one for the day, one for the evening and I know I'm going to stand there at the post box with them both in my hands and dither. In the end, I'm going with my gut - if she makes a real attempt to put things right with mum, it'll be the day invite, if she makes some attempt but could do better, it'll be the evening one. It may be neither of course, but I think at the end of the day that's the only way to make the decision.

At the end of the day, it's your wedding and entirely up to you who you invite - you can always claim a numbers issue if it threatens to cause trouble and invite them only to the evening. Either way, good luck and let us know what you decide!

x

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

It's not stooping, it's not being nasty. It's plain and simple, when writing your guest list, ask yourself, for each and every person "Do I want to share my day with them?" If the answer is no, then don't invite them. Wedding politics infuriate me!!! ?

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

In your shoes it seems quite straightforward to me and I wouldn't invite the brothers but would invite the aunt but I think you need to look at the bigger picture, is this going to cause your mum more grief and nastiness if you don't invite them?

• M
    Beginner June 2015
    MeV ·
    • Hide content

I'm in the same position, and will not be inviting either of my uncles on my mums side.

At the end of the day, if you wouldn't invite them if they were not related to you, why should them sharing DNA mean that they automatically get an invite after the way they have acted?!

• M
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsJonesToBe0914 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Mustard Mitt and others

This is a really difficult situation and from most other people I've spoken to (about my guestlist issue) it seems everyone has issues in some way.

In my situation although there's been no real fallings out in the family, I have a large family and a lot of extended family. The problem is about 3/4 i see a fair bit and the remainder I don't...so to me it seemed simple, invite the ones who you like and see. Obviously with Weddings it's never that simple! I've had lengthy discussions with my mum (it's her side) about why they should be invited and not etc etc and eventually we agreed it seemed ok to only invite some to the night do. There were a couple of people however (partners) that I really didn't want to invite. Not because there was an issue with them but because they don't have much to do wtih family gatherings (or me) and therefore I felt it seemed daft to invite them over some people who had been demoted to the evening only list just because they weren't family (but they actually care more about me than them!) - and i said i would ensure that i will never invite someone to the day do over someone else that I was closer to so they were struck off the day list. However, having spoken to my mum again I realised that this would actually cause family politics issues for her and she would be upset, and unfortunatley this is not my mum's fault, or mine, it's those in the family that make others feel guilty when then shouldn't. There's always people that suprise you in a bad way (and others in good obviously but were not talking about that) unfortunatley. But i think if your mum is willing to give it a go and that's what she wants then perhaps it dserves some more discussion and I'd see it more as doing what will help and support your mum rather than what your uncles may think. If they decide to come then someone needs to speak to them about their behaviour if you're worried. But on the birghtside if they decide not to come, you don't have to worry, you're mum won't worry that you haven't invited them and also your mum will probably feel as though that was the last chance she wants to give them.

If I'd have seen this message a few months a go (when guestlist was still under negotition lol) then I probably would have answered differently. But the more I speak to my mum the more i realise what a special day it will be for her too, so we came to that compromise.

Hope that helps. Sorry it goes on a bit, it's complicated to explain.

PS maybe you could just invite them to the night do

xxx

• cantwait2bmrsj
    Beginner September 2014
    cantwait2bmrsj ·
    • Hide content

Both me and my OH have had family problems over the years, I too cant believe some of the things people can say to each other. We both sat down and discussed who we wanted to spend the day with and came up with our lists. I havent sent our invites out yet however will probably send evening invites to those other family members. Do what feels right to you and your fiancé.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I can understand how you might be worried about the fall out of not inviting them but there is already an issue.

You're not stooping to their level if you don't invite them. I'm sure most people would understand the reasoning behind it.

It's your wedding & you should invite (and not invite) who you want. But also, it's a big day for your mum too, it would be horrible if her brothers went and ruined it for her.

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

You need to do what is best for you and your OH no one else. I know it may seem harsh but trust me you are never going to please everyone and I know! Plus personally i have seen a few people's true colour come out in wedding planning, it has been shocking at times.

I have only invited 3 out of 5 aunts to the day because i am not close to the other two and probably see them once a year, well this went down like a lead balloon, at one point they were refusing the evening "only" invite, well they were lucky to be invited at all with that attitude. My mum wasnt thrilled at my choice either but i apologied and said it was the final choice. They are now coming to the evening after being talked around, so so silly in my eyes, you should be grateful to be apart of any of the day and you certainly should feel "entitled" to any part. (sorry rant over, still annoys me)

If i was in your position i wouldn't invite them at all, i understand its hard with your mum but for my OH and myself we want to surround ourself with people who love and care for us, not people we have had to invite.

Good luck, i feel for you.

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the replies. It's a really touchy subject in our family, I just don't want my mum hurt more than she already has been and, as always, she is lovely to the end by saying I should try to build bridges with them. This is part of the problem though, my mum has always forgiven their comments and indiscretions in the past and put it down to "boys being boys". It was almost like she felt if she was nice to them, they'd change and be nice to her but they just got more and more cruel. That's what made it worse.

I'm going to give it some real thought and discuss is further with my mum and OH but to be honest I'm just thinking I'd rather they not even know I'm getting married in the first place. Like I said, they don't speak to me (and haven't done for many years) and I think it'd just cause more problems inviting them than not. So unless they start apologising and building their own bridges with her in the next year or so, then I don't think it's my responsibility to right their wrongs.

And if they do have anything to say about it, they can call me, not her.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics