Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

little chilli

Family problems at wedding (long)

little chilli, 4 August, 2009 at 13:54 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

Well where to start, H and I got married in France two months ago, H’s parents live there and we love the area so we thought it would be a lovely place to get married. For those who don’t know about getting married in France I’ll explain. There is a legal ceremony with the mayor followed if you wish by a blessing in church or similar. We booked the church several with no problems and we even had an English vicar to perform the ceremony. Unfortunately several months before the wedding we found we couldn’t be married by the mayor, they suggest getting married in a registry office in England before we left for France as the church would not perform the blessing without legally being married. We would have lost lots of money on deposits and most people had booked their tickets to come over. So we made the decision to marry at our local registry office the day before we left for France. In order that our ‘wedding day’ in church feel no less special because of this we decided that we would each invite our bosses as witnesses and have no guests . We told no one except our parents about the additional ceremony and as no guests could have attended the wedding with the mayor it really felt no different.

Skipping to the day of the registry office, we attended with our witnesses and walked in to the room and h’s mum was there. She had found out where and when we were having the ceremony from the paperwork we had to send over to the church in France. We had no clue she was going to be there and were obviously shocked she had travelled over from France. I was a bit upset my mum wasn’t there but as neither H or I felt it was a real wedding for us we didn’t really mind. The next day we travelled to France with my mother and we sat her down and explained what had happened to day before, she didn’t seem at all worried about it so we thought that there were no problems.

Cue two days later and after a lot to drink my mother started getting very upset and stated shouting about the registry office. She claimed we had invited H’s mother a not her and that she had never been told about the ‘legal wedding’. We knew we had several times. At this point I think I should point out my mother has a drinking problem and we think she must have forgotten all the conversations. We all apologised to my mother and explained we had told her because we had a discussion about how one of her friends got married there, but she was adamant she had not been told.

The next day she did not get up. Lots of people were arriving as it was the day before our wedding. As our families had not all met we all were introducing each other and they wished to meet my mother. I tried to get her up and explained family were arriving would she like to meet them, she said no and turned over. I am used to her day after a binge days but was still shocked that she had no interest in talking to anyone. We left her till late in the day and tried again, still nothing. At this point I believe H’s step father had a word with her and told her how much she was upsetting everyone. She got up and sat outside with a face like thunder and still would not speak to anyone until she had had quite a lot to drink. My family stated to arrive and she sat with them and seemed much happier.

The next day I got up excited for the wedding, I got a cup of tea and she said I’m leaving tomorrow with my sister I think its best. If she felt that was best so be it, it wasn’t the day for an argument. The day passed quickly and it was lovely with a few hiccups, veil caught fire on the church candle, bouquets arrived in a completely different colour, my French going missing when I needed to describe how I wanted my hair. But nothing serious.

The next day it became apparent that my mother had gone round the congregation and told everyone it was a fake wedding and several nasty remarks about how she was being pushed out. She had already left at this point and had taken several bottles and packets of cigarettes of Mil’s. We were shocked but let it all go so we could enjoy a party we throw for all who helped us with the wedding. It was a lovely day and we all had fun everyone there said they thougherly enjoyed the wedding and all understood about having to do the legal wedding first.

We went on honeymoon and when we came back we had a letter from my Aunty who was downright nasty saying we should have told everyone it was fake and no one would have come if they had known. They refused to pay for there accommodation which H and I ended up paying for.

Two months later I bump in to my sister, a surprise as she lives abroad and I had no idea she was due back. She told me they had had a christening for our auntie’s new baby. A real one not a fake one and everyone had been invited except H and I. No member of my mothers side of the family will speak to me and except a drunken text message from my mother asking why would I do this to her. I have found out from a close friend of ours and her neighbour that she is spreading nasty lies about us and her family believe every word. Thankfully our friend doesn’t that’s why he warned us.

I’m shocked that what was supposed to be a happy day has gone so wrong. I do have happy memories of the day but my overwhelming feeling is of sadness that my family has fallen apart. I can barely look at my wedding photos they just seem to make me cry.

If you made it to the end wow. Didn't really feel that I wanted to post over on WP.

11 replies

Latest activity by little chilli, 5 August, 2009 at 08:34
  • SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

?

I'm terribly sorry to hear this. Sadly this kind of thing happens when someone close to you is an addict. I think the best thing you can do is ignore - if they've any sense they will know not to give credence to everything your mother says; if they don't, who needs them?

• KJX
    Beginner August 2005
    KJX ·
    • Hide content

Why don't you write a letter to your sister explaining what happened - you can gloss over your mum's nastiness if you feel that is right (perhaps she got 'muddled' or 'confused'?) and leave it in her court?

If your mum has a significant drink problem, then it sounds as though her family are ignoring it or pretending it isn't there - that really doesn't help you - I feel for you, it sounds as though they have spoilt what should have been happy memories.

• Helen**
    Beginner March 2015
    Helen** ·
    • Hide content

How horrible for you. I agree with what Sophie says. Did your sister try to understand or did she just side with everyone lese?

• little chilli
    little chilli ·
    • Hide content

Sadly I think my family have their heads in the sand when it comes to her drinking. When I lived with her I could see it was whisky not black tea in the mug and the bottles in the car boot were not an eay way to take them to the bottlebank but a way to hide the amount of bottles. Normally my aunty,the one who had the christening has her head screwed on right and we always saw eye to eye on my mother unfortunately she seems to along with my sister,who likes to stir, are the ones who believe what she is saying. I hope to look back on my wedding day as happy one day.

• KJX
    Beginner August 2005
    KJX ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Familes can be good at ignoring problems like that - when it suits them. It sounds like it has blown up into a huge old do, with you and your H excluded from the discussions. I don't think there is much you can do tbh - any attempts to fix it might be seen badly.

• little chilli
    little chilli ·
    • Hide content

KJX I agree that there is not much I can do. Families can really be a pain in the watsit.

• H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with this, How horrible and upsetting for you. Can you try to talk to your sister to explain the exact situation? I am sure your family, deep down, are aware of your mum's problem.

L
    xx

• little chilli
    little chilli ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunatly my sister although talking with me is very two faced and she knows exactly what happened but wants to stick with the majority. i honestly believe had we not bumped into each other she would not have come round to see us and we would never have known about the christening.

• wodger_woo
    Beginner March 2007
    wodger_woo ·
    • Hide content

It sounds to me that a large amount of deflection is going on here (it happens in my family a lot where a relatives drinking is concerned)

Your family are pretty sure of your mothers drinking I should imagine but, as families often do, they bury their heads in the sand. Instead of facing up to the fact that the 'drink problem' has caused these issues around your wedding it is easier to blame you.

If my family is anything to go by no-one wants to rock the boat and be the one to point out that your mum has drink problem and has caused this problem with her drunken reactions so it is easier to blame you for putting her in the position where she was 'upset and got drunk'

Phone your aunty or even drop round with a christening present for her baby. Calmly tell her your side of the story. If she chooses not to listen to you or believe you then really you don't need that hassle in your life.

? oh and don't think that this has 'ruined' your wedding, it sounds like you had a great time.

• policefox lyn
    Beginner November 2003
    policefox lyn ·
    • Hide content

I found your account very straightforward and easy to understand. Why don't you write that out in a letter form (though as an open letter, not addressed to anyone) just go as far as the need for the two ceremonies and up to how MIL came to be there. Explain that it wasn't that your mother wasn't included but that NO-ONE was included. I would explain that as far as you were concerned your French ceremony was your real wedding but legally you needed the other ceremony. End it by saying how much you enjoyed their presence and that you hope that it clears up any misunderstandings.

Leave it at that. Don't catalogue your mother's behavour, don't mention your mother's drinking.

That way you've had a chance to respond and put the matter straight, it's up to your family which way they decide to jump. If they take your mother's side then so be it but hopefully they'll realise that your versionmakes sense and they'll grow up and apologise.

I think that the written word is very powerful and it can't be construed wrongly the way a conversation can and it gives you the chance to put your point across without them adding in all the wrong info that your mother has spread.

• Unique at last
    Dedicated January 2012
    Unique at last ·
    • Hide content

How sad that some of your family are being so narrow minded. I'd do what PF Lyn says. I think your account here is very clear and well written.

I hope you can remember the greatness of your day. x

• little chilli
    little chilli ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your help all of you. I feel better about the situation this morning and am considering sending a letter to my aunty. I hope to look back on a happy wedding and not everything else that happened.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics