Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner June 2018

Family troubles

SunnyIvoryCars98776, 11 of May of 2018 at 08:11 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi all,

I am getting married on 30th June and the whole planning process for me has been a very emotional nightmare.

My family are generally quite a dramatic and selfish bunch but have been even more so during planning. So from the minute I got engaged, everything started. My dad (who is not and has never been a traditional man - he was a single parent who has never been married!) when my fiancé proposed to me, my dad apparently had an issue with him not asking for his permission and was actually rude to my fiancé when we went out for dinner a week later. I told my fiancé that’s nothing to worry about and to ignore him, but he made my fiancé feel bad like he’d done something wrong. Throughout the whole planning process my dad has just made me feel *** about everything and has been talking about me and complaining about me behind my back to other members of the family.

Next was was my sister. I weren’t sure who to have as bridesmaids but finally decided on only having my sister (it was going to be a very very small wedding). When I brought up bridesmaid dress shopping and inviting my mum to it my sister had an issue and started an argument with me saying if my mum comes then she isn’t because she has an issue with my mum. She went on to say I’m makin her feel uncomfortable and I should think about her and how it makes her feel. This then resulted in my saying forget it I’m not having any bridesmaids. I later decided to have a bridesmaid again (I was convinced by the best man) and reinstated her. She didn’t attempt to do anything to help out with for the wedding and I was even planning my own hen do!

Next up was my mum. My mum was nice enough to take me dress shopping and when we spoke I asked her not to tell my older sister (who I fell out with some years ago) any details about the wedding and explained my reasoning and we had a big heart to heart about it. A week later, my older sister started a massive argument with me because my mum had told her about details of the wedding (after I specifically asked her not to) and my sister was upset that I hadn’t invited her and started saying things like “I hope you can live with yourself for not inviting me or your nephews to your wedding”.

This is was the straw that broke the camels back. I cancelled the wedding - the whole thing. I contacted all the vendors that same day and cancelled everything, lost all my deposits as well.

When end I told everyone, no one could accept it (apart from my fiancé’s parents who have been perfect throughout the whole thing). I text everyone the news and then my dad started more drama and was just thinking about himself. Saying he deserved a phone call to find this out not a text message (and didn’t care at all about how I felt or anything).

A fee weeks after that I went to visit my mum. For some reason she decided to show my fiancé a picture of my wedding dress (even though she knew I was still going to wear it whenever I did get married).

Despite all all of this I still spoke to them all and was still nice to them.

A few few days ago, we decided to have a small wedding at a registry office (where only my fiancé’s parents would be present as our witnesses) and then have a party at our house after. I thought I’d give them one last chance and invite them to the party to celebrate but this has resulted in even more drama! My sister (who was going to be the bridesmaid) started a massive argument with me saying I’m only seeing things from my perspective and I’m hurting everyone because everyone wants to see me get married. She made me feel like I was in the wrong saying I’m embarrassed of them that’s the real reason I’m not inviting them and saying they’d done nothing wrong. She then went onto say she’s not coming to the party and she doesn’t want to talk to me again saying “you’ve lost me over this” so we no longer have a relationship. My mum also started an argument with me saying similar things and that she too isn’t coming to the party because she’s offended that my fiancé’s parents are invited to the registry office and they aren’t. My dad hasn’t even replied to the invite..

I’ve spoken to my fiancé who agrees with me but am I wrong? They’ve all made me feel like I’m in the wrong but I’ve been so upset and hurt (often I’m tears) over this. I feel like they’re lucky I’m inviting them to anything but they all think I’m wrong?

I just want to clarify my family and I aren’t that close anyway and my sister always tells everyone all of my business, even stuff I ask her not to tell people

I need help help with some clarity I guess..

4 replies

Latest activity by BristolBride2812, 11 of May of 2018 at 20:05
  • H
    Beginner October 2018
    HappyBrownDecor18059 ·
    • Hide content

I have to say, your family all sound like self-absorbed drama queens!! From what you've said there seems to be a lot of instances of them making it about themselves, when in reality it's none of their business. I don't really know if I can suggest anything because from what it sounds like, you can't do anything right from their point of view. Whatever you do someone will be offended. I'd say you've done all you can, you've invited them, the ball's in their court now, if they come they come, and if they don't, then thank the stars you're marrying into a calm and supportive family! I know that doesn't help the fact that it's hurtful for them to not be speaking to you, but again, there's not much you can do to help that if they're all going to be drama queens about everything.

• S
    Beginner June 2018
    SunnyIvoryCars98776 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you. I know you’re right it is just very hurtful yes xxx

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

I also have quite a selfish and dramatic family who all despise weddings but I know all this and wouldn't expect them to be any different with regards to my wedding so I'm saving myself all the hassle by having a registry office wedding just the 2 of us and getting 2 witnesses from the registry office to witness it.

• S
    Beginner June 2018
    SunnyIvoryCars98776 ·
    • Hide content

That’s what I wanted to do. I wanted to go to Vegas because I knew what they’d all be like but my partner wanted his family to be there

• BristolBride2812
    Beginner July 2019
    BristolBride2812 ·
    • Hide content

I have some difficult family members too so can relate to parts of what you’ve said above. The advice I’ve received from most people is to remember that the day is about you and your other half and doing what makes you guys happy. At the end of the day family members who have a history of being awkward/disruptive/disappointing etc are always likely to be like that so include/exclude whoever makes you feel most relaxed and positive. You want your wedding day to be the happiest day for you to look back on in years to come so put you & your other half’s feelings above all else.

I hope it all works out okay for you in the end ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics