Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

AKWedding
Beginner August 2015

Family/Friend Ratio, Guests of the Bride/Guests of the Groom Ratio

AKWedding, 24 of July of 2014 at 19:21 Posted on Planning 0 21

Hi,

Out of curiosity, I was wondering what your ratio split for family and friends at your wedding is going to be? I have a large family so for my allocation, it is going to be 50% My Family, 50% My Friends. H2B and I are allocating 50% for His Family & Friends and 50% for My Family and Friends out of the total guests allowed.

21 replies

Latest activity by snow bride, 18 of August of 2014 at 08:59
  • xoxoxo2017
    Beginner May 2017
    xoxoxo2017 ·
    • Hide content

I dont know the exact split but what I do know is, my family attendees is about 8 and MY friends is around 12. My H2B however has family of around 22 but friends of around 4 as we have many mutual. My familu is very small compared to his.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

From being with my OH 8 years and knowing his friends before I met him, we have the same friends, I'm closer to the friends OH's and he had the lads. We are having 10 of our friends for the whole day as we're tight on numbers and another 100 fiends and family to the evening. His family is bigger then mine so I have all te important family members for me so around 15 and he has around 25 of his family members!

• daffodilly
    Beginner August 2015
    daffodilly ·
    • Hide content

We both have very big extended families so we have decided immediate family in the day. Aunts and uncles in the evening and no cousins at all....lots of friends invited.

I appreciate this isn't for everyone but it suits us. Of the family and friend ratios they are pretty much 50/50 split.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

We have no ratio or 'equal split'. He has 27 family and I have 17 family members coming, it just so happens he has a larger family than me, and we share he same mates anyway. Besides, at the end of the day we will both have 44 family members there the way we see it :-)

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

We didn't really think about a split as such. We both have quite small families so we invited all of them then filled up with friends! I have more friends than OH, so most are mine but joint friends came first.

• MrsCWB
    Beginner October 2014
    MrsCWB ·
    • Hide content

We originally agreed to split the guests 50/50 and invite who we wanted. Unfortunately, after the invitations went out, we have had a few declines, and so we are no longer 50/50. We want a big party and I know more people than he does and I have a bigger family, so we're just inviting extras and not worrying about who's side they're on.

x

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

We've split it 50/50.

• beccak
    Beginner September 2014
    beccak ·
    • Hide content

We only have family attending. Out of the total 22 guests, 6 are from my side and 16 from his (this is mainly because he has two half-brothers who are each married with 2 children).

• xoxoxo2017
    Beginner May 2017
    xoxoxo2017 ·
    • Hide content

Like a PP said we'll be one big family at the end anyway. TBH, I already see H2Bs family as mine. I'm very close to his parents, siblings, and some of his aunts & uncles. Initially we said "lets split equal" but it shouldnt work like that unless of course he has 30 college mates and you have none Smiley winking

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

Ours is nowhere near even and we always knew it wouldn't be. We started our planning by each writing a list of the people we couldnt imagine our wedding without. My list was 55 close family members and around 20 friends. OHs list was 5 family members and 30 friends. We found a venue that could accomodate everyone within our budget and just went with it. A 50 50 split wouldnt have been 'fair' even if it looks it on paper as it would mean several people to me being missing while he had a full compliment!

My only sadness is that most of our declined rsvps have been on his side making the proprtions even smaller.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

We have just over 50 coming, of which a max of 2 will be his family! about 30 are my family, and the rest are friends. My family are his family now, there'll be no sides at our wedding

• Pandabarney
    Beginner August 2014
    Pandabarney ·
    • Hide content

Ours is probably a 60/40 split in my favour but OH did have about 8 people decline so we filled the spaces with friends.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Approx...

30 my family

30 his family

30 my friends

30 his friends

(give or take a couple here and there)

plus about 20 kids (all family - mainly mine)

Then a load more friends to the evening

We didn't set out to make it so even - it just worked out that way

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

I have a grand total of 9 members of my family coming and that includes me ?

The rest are OH's family and our friends.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ditto this. Including me, my "side" totals 9, OH's totals 20.

My family is tiny next to OH's so it's only right he has more. We are taking to the same level though and we see ourselves as in one family already and have done for years so it's been about agreeing who comes. For our day do it was fairly easy to be fair as it was only to siblings and their children plus ours and our dads. For the after wedding party ten days later it's different though and we are going to have to agree as if we go to cousins, OH has at least 17 plus their OH's and kids and it's not that it's too many, but they can get a bit overbearing and take over so we are going to have some fun with that. Whatever, we will still go to the same level though which I want to be cousins but not children. The venue just isn't appropriate for kids running around.

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

We have about 25 friends which are mutual. I have about 40 family and OH has 3 as that's literally all he has!

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

We both have huge families and wide social circles. We decided to invite family that we have a relationship with so some aunts/uncles/cousins will be invited and others won't. We're not worried about offending people we never see/hear from. We also wrote a list of all our friends not acquaintances. We're currently at about 140 in total. About 50 are from OH and 90 from me. We have space to invite more if we realise we've forgotten anyone. We are not worried about who has how many just as long as we both have the people who matter.

• alexandrawedding@hotmail.co.uk
    Rockstar November 2014
    alexandrawedding@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

I have a larger family as both my parents remarried and it added lots if extra step-relatives to the mix. He probably has the larger share of friends but mine have children so that adds a few. It's say it's probably 65-35 split with mine being the larger chunk xx

• Cupcake26
    Beginner August 2015
    Cupcake26 ·
    • Hide content

We didn't do any kind of split we just wrote the list!

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your feedback, it has been interesting to hear your stories. We didn't set out to have a 50/50 split but it has turned out that way. We wrote a long-list of people we wanted to invite, and we are in the process of trying to cull the list so it will fit the venue capacity. My family is really my Mum's side of the family: aunts, uncles and cousins, second cousins, all UK-based. I had to be strict and tell her that overseas relatives couldn't be invited otherwise I wouldn't be able to invite many friends.

My OH has a smaller family so he will be inviting more friends. Fortunately for me, he claimed most of our mutual friends as being 'his', due to the fact that he met them first so that has worked out well for me.

In the interest of being fair, after looking at the numbers on the long-list, having a 50/50 split seemed appropriate as I need to knock around 10 people off the list and my OH between 10 - 15 people.

It did make me think about my younger relatives (siblings and cousins) and if they wanted to have a traditional wedding, how many relatives they will have to allocate spaces for (there isn't another family wedding on the horizon at the moment so by the time the next wedding happens, I imagine that the family will be even bigger with the next generation appearing). It will be a bigger headache for them. Somebody will have to be brave, and limit the family members that can be invited to a wedding but it won't be be me, as it would really upset my Mum, and our family is really family-orientated.

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

We have 43 my family, 3 his family, 2 our kids and 19 mutual friends. Lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics