Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Karen84
Beginner July 2016

Fancy dress ideas?

Karen84, 23 of March of 2015 at 09:53 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 18

Hi all, I have a fancy dress party in less than 2 weeks and not a clue what to go as so I'm hoping you can help me out with some inspiration!

The theme is North or South America so there are lots of potential options, but I need something that's not going to be too difficult to pull together. Fancy dress isn't really my thing and I am not particularly creative in any way! Help!

Has anyone hired/bought costumes from an online store? Are they worthwhile? Sometimes they look quite cheap in the pictures.

18 replies

Latest activity by Chucklevision, 23 of March of 2015 at 20:52
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I would stay away from South America as to me that reeks of cultural appropriation waiting to happen! (I'm waiting for the fallout in the thread over on WP by someone wanting a sugar skull theme, in which I politely pointed out that they are sacred cultural artefacts and not just a pretty decoration.) But surely for North America you could go as literally anyone from there? Ooh, what about a retro diner uniform?...

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

Wellingtons and a duffel coat, and if you feel peckish, a marmalade sandwich = Paddington bear, he was from Peru!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

My first thought was cowgirl! I hate fancy dress too so I feel your pain.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Oh man, I LOVE fancy dress! But last Halloween I had the horrible feeling that I'm too old for it now. I fear my days of dressing up may be over. This is why it's a good thing that I don't have children - I would just dress them up like dolls all the time.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

I travelled around South America ...

These were in Peru, around (or on) Lake Titicaca

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

This is what traditional Bolivian women wear ..

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I hate fancy dress. Literally hate it.

However for ideas I'd be tempted to try American footballer or a cheerleader.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See, the thought of white people wearing that as fancy dress seems kind of, well, icky to me. Is it just me? (This is obviously an assumption on my part that the OP isn't of that heritage - I'm guessing she wouldn't need to ask for ideas if she was!)

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Would it be more OK for an English person who has blood ties to Bolivia to wear the hat and shawl than it would for an English person with no known blood ties?

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I'm another fancy dress hater! But if absolutely forced to, I'd go for something that was quite ordinary clothing-wise so head down the North American route and look at famous Americans for example.

As to the possibility of offence - I think we worry too much about stuff like this. Anyone likely to be offended by South American fancy dress is unlikely to attend the party aren't they?

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think so...if a style or symbol or whatever is part of your heritage then it isn't just randomly taking something from another culture for decorative purposes...is it? I really don't know. I feel like cultural appropriation is a minefield.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But by that logic, would we say blackface is still okay as long as no black people are there? What about using the N word if no people of colour are listening? You see where I'm headed...

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys - this is what I needed to get my imagination going a bit!

I hate fancy dress so much so I really can't be faffed with going OTT. If it wasn't a close friend I probably wouldn't even go.

I liked the american footballer thing a lot, but I know another friend is going as that so I don't want to p*ss on her parade. I like the idea of the retro waitress - I love that kitsch-y style although it's not at all what I would wear IRL so something in that vein would be quite fun.

Your photos are fab SW, thanks for sharing them. My knowledge of South American style would have been limited to a poncho with a sombrero!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I think you can go a bit over the top when worried about offending people. Emulation is a form of flattery after all Smiley smile

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

I hate fancy dress, too! I'd hire something. For this party though I'd just get a poncho and large hat, Ugly Betty style.

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

What about Che Guevera? Black beret with red star, khaki combats and big black boots, moustache and a big cigar.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I would be tempted to go down the road of American cultural icons -people like Marilyn Monroe, Kathryn Hepburn, Jackie O, Audrey Hepburn etc.

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

What about a Brazilian carnival queen - like a samba dress or a flamenco dancer (or is that spanish)?) I quite liked the Paddington bear idea.

SW - I have photos me dressed up like that too

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I've also thought of:

A mounty

Ice hockey player

Robin sparkles from How I met your mother

Mexican wrestler

Bit of a stretch may be but an explorer searching the amazon

Something out of the cartoon Fern gully