Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

FAO Footlong

21 of October of 2013 at 12:13 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 4

If I remember right you know a fair bit about eyes?

I'm going to trial a fairly new drug (ivabradine) which slows your heart rate through the sinoatrial node (I think?), but most of the bad side effects are to do with vision because of the link to a node or channel in the eyes. Have I got that right? What exactly do the eye nodes do?

I'm not considering not trying the medication (I am assuming any visual side effects would go away if I stop taking the drug?) as it supposedly a wonder-drug for the treatment of POTS, but I like to know as much as I can about how it works, and I'm always a curious person.

Sorry if that makes no sense, I'm not really sure what it is I am talking about myself!

4 replies

Latest activity by AmnesiaCustard, 21 of October of 2013 at 17:04
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Any tissue that operates on electrical signals will have lots of ion channels - holes in the cell membranes - that move charged ions. Both cardiac tissue and retinal tissue have lots and lots of these ion channels, because both rely heavily on electrical activity to do their jobs.

I assume that the drug you will be taking to target (specifically, to inhibit) certain cardiac ion channels is "leaking" and also targetting retinal ion channels (maybe they are similar types of ion channels?). Wiki says that "luminous phenomena" is the most likely problem. My own interpretation of this is that the type of channel being targetted in your heart is similar to a channel in the retina required to dampen visual signals. If you inhibit the channel in the heart, you inhibit this channel in the retina, and thus perceive excessive brightness in your visual field.

Wiki also says that the phenomenon is completely reversible. That matches what would be my intuition/knowledge on such ion channels.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I read that as living with "sparkly tights".

ho hum...!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics