Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

FAO legal experts - stressing out over jury service summons

29 October, 2011 at 16:45 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

I received a jury service summons after moving house, after my three-month Royal Mail redirect expired - this was despite having filled in the electoral roll form for my new address. Whoever forwarded it (my landlord or my old neighbour - shared hallway - I'm not sure) took their sweet time to do so, despite it saying Courts Service on so obviously being urgent. I'm furious but it's done now...

The summons was dated 19 September. I received it on 17 October. I phoned the central summoning bureau straight away and they said it was okay, I still had time to respond. I have got to be excused on medical grounds - I checked this with the central summoning bureau and they agreed this was the right thing to do. I have narcolepsy and could be charged with contempt or cause a trial to collapse or cause a conviction to be ruled unsafe. I returned the form with details of my change of address and reason for asking to be excused and have heard nothing since. I had planned to phone them today as I had somehow got it into my head that they were open on Saturdays but of course they're not, so now I'm sat worrying about it. I don't seem to be in trouble for not responding as they get that I'd moved, but it hasn't left very much time to sort it out, and I don't know if they are going to request a medical certificate. The summons is for 14 November so time is ticking.

Basically, what do I do if they don't get back to me in time, or don't give me enough time to provide medical evidence? Can I write to the judge or something? If they don't let me out of it before the date I have to report, I can't just go ahead and do it - because I know I'm not fit to be a juror. I just figure by the time they write to me, ask for a medical certificate and I get it and send it back, it's going to be too late, and I don't know what to do. I don't even know if it's been transferred to a court near where I live now or not. I'd like to do jury service, it's an important public duty, but I definitely can't/shouldn't and am getting really worried about it, so would appreciate advice from anyone who knows anything about this. Just to be clear: I am 100% sure I have sufficient grounds to be excused, it's just the issue of getting through the process in time.

9 replies

Latest activity by Storky, 31 October, 2011 at 16:42
  • Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Can you get the medical certificate now anyway and forward it to the court preempting them responding to you?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Don't stress!

They should excuse you on those grounds immediately but they might ask you to provide a note from your GP. The Court Service is slow, you might not hear anything much before the date it is due to start.

If they don't contact you before hand, turn up on the day and explain the position to the Jury Manager. If you can provide medical evidence at that time, it would be helpful. It won't be a problem.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Normally it's on the Summons - it should say where you need to go? If not, you might still not be called anyway.

Completing jury service can be fascinating but there is always a lot of waiting around (even if you're on a big case) so be grateful you won't suffer from numbarseitis. That's not fun!

(If you need a hand with anymore info that comes through, give me a shout).

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

As you've moved (I'd forgotten, sorry) they should simply remove you from the London list. You are likely to be called for something locally within the next 12 months. When that happens, expect them not to have made any sort of note about your situation so be prepared to explain again. They should exempt you once more.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

That is good news, anniepie, I'm really pleased for you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics