Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Disco
Beginner

Far TMI (obv) - I may have a tampon stuck - any advice?

Disco, 16 of June of 2008 at 20:31 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 24

Apart from go to the doctor, if I can't resolve this myself tonight, that is of course what I will do. I have phoned NHS direct and all she told me to do was go to the doctor, but not before she talked to me like I was totally stupid (some of you may agree with this, but please, please, keep it to yourself this time) made me cry, and told me I'll probably get TSS (yeah, right). I'm not keen on the idea of googling "vagina"!

Stupid as I am, I've done this before, i.e. forgotten (under the influence of alcohol) that I had a tampon in, and put another in. The first one came out a good week later. That's the really gross bit over.

Anyway, over the last couple of days I've noticed the same smell that was last time explained by the stuck tampon, and I've been using tampons since Thursday/Friday.

If I stick my stubby finger inside my vagina I can feel something with the tip of my finger that could be the end of a tampon. However, either due to the shortness of my finger or for some other reason, I'm not sure whether I can get my finger right up next to it, or whether whatever I can feel is joined to my vagina walls.

So, anyone who knows about biology, could I be able to feel my cervix with the tip of my finger? I am thinking it's unlikely, on the basis that, ahem, things longer than my finger have been in there before without any discomfort, and it hurt a whole lot more when the midwife wanted to feel my cervix (yes, I had a baby 8 months ago, if that's relevant), and smear tests hurt more etc. Surely it would be painful if I could scratch my cervix?

So, assuming it is a tampon, does anyone have any bright ideas for getting it out? That turned out quite long, but I wanted to give as much info as I thought might be relevant.

Thank you.

24 replies

Latest activity by RomanticYellowConfetti38503, 7 of February of 2019 at 05:04
  • Baby Buns
    Beginner September 2007
    Baby Buns ·
    • Hide content

Erm - maybe have a bath to relax and have another go to see if the string can be found? If not, I would go to the docs first thing

(Maybe try a mooncup once resolved)

• Old Nick Esq.
    Old Nick Esq. ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to be male and answer this,but go to the Dr/Casualty. Really.

Embarrasing, but better than the potential alternatives.

• Hoobygroovy
    Hoobygroovy ·
    • Hide content

I got one stuck years ago when the string broke. I tried everything to get it out but couldn't, probably because it was towards the end of my period and there wasn't much.. er.. absorption. The nurse at my surgery whipped it out in a couple of minutes and then offered to write a note for me to send to Tampax if I wanted to complain. She said it would probably be worth a few free boxes of tampons. ?

• Monkey   Mavis
    Beginner
    Monkey Mavis ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear!

YOu may be able to feel your own cervix - it is smooth. I would imagine that a tampon isn't going to feel smooth in that way.

Have you tried really pushing with your muscles and then seeing if you can grab anything? That may push it down so you can get hold of it.

Failing that - I feel a trip to the Drs is going to be neccessary ?

• M
    Beginner November 2007
    MarineGirl ·
    • Hide content

Poor you - I went to GP over this once, and it was terribly embarrassing! I was lectured that 'you would feel it you know' - I think he'd missed all the marketing!!!

Anyway - not sure about removal but I can help you on your cervix! You can feel it with your finger! Those us using natural family planning methods poke it all the time! Mine is pretty much at the end of my longest (index) finger - just a little stretch. It's dead central, and it's usually described as feeling like the cartilage at the end of your nose - quite hard, but a bit of give. I would feel similar in size to the rounded end of a tampon, but presumably yours wouldn't have gone 180 degrees?! You cervix also has a small dip with the opening. When you're least fertile (around your period should count) you can find the dip - but it's quite a tight slit. If you're period's been over a few days, your cervix might be starting to soften. It's be a bit squishier than nose cartilage, and the opening much more easy to feel.

I doubt you're going to get TSS if it stays in another night, gross as it is...! As long as you're familiar with the symptoms, and watch for that. Disclaimer - I am not a GP!

• Emelia Wrinkly Smooth
    Beginner
    Emelia Wrinkly Smooth ·
    • Hide content

It is possible to touch your cervix with your finger at different times of the month, so it could be your cervix.

Have you tried pushing down with your pelvic floor muscles as if you were trying to push a tampon out, and feel at the same time. If you keep doing short pushes if there is anything in there it should gradually work down. it will probably feel as if it is going back up again as you release the pressure, but eventually it will work down.

Assuming there is something in there I would visit the doc. It can't be good to have something up there for a week ?

• O
    Beginner
    Oh Zippy ·
    • Hide content

Oh no, poor you. I can feel something with my finger (not sure if it's my cervix but it's definitely part of me) if that helps.

When I've forgotten one, it's normally come down on its own accord, but then I've probably never pushed it up high with another one.

Erm, TMI, but when you 'scratch it', does it come away smelling like old tampons?

• knickers_twickers
    Beginner September 2010
    knickers_twickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WHS - well except that I am female ?

Seriously thoug, I wouldn't be risking TSS, it's a very serious illness and symptoms can come on very suddenly and progress very quickly, I think that if you have got one stuck you need it out ASAP, especially if it's been in there a week. They will have seen this kind of thing loads of times before.

If you don't want to go to A and E call NHS direct back and ask them to get you an appointment at your local out of hours service or go to the nearest walk in centre if you have one.

Nikki xxx

• M
    Beginner November 2007
    MarineGirl ·
    • Hide content

Another idea... sorry it's a bit personal. Have you tried having an orgasm? A bit of lubrication might help with your investigations, and an orgasm pushes your cervix slightly more into your vagina - not a lot, but any movement might help?

If nothing else it will take your mind off it? ?

• Disco
    Beginner
    Disco ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all.

I am definitely going to see a nurse if I can't sort this myself tonight. I can't go anywhere now, I'm home alone with the baby. Well, I could if it was deemed urgent, obviously.

MarineGirl, that's excellent advice, ha ha.

Maybe it is just my cervix I can feel. It kind of feels like a tiny rubber ring (in shape, not texture!). It could also be described as feeling like the end of a fully absorbed tampon though, you know how the non-applicator ones have a bit of a dent in the bottom for your finger to push it in.

I used to use a mooncup, and I never had these problems with that. Perhaps I'll have to have another go with that.

Thanks everyone. I know TSS is a very serious matter, so I will get professional help as soon as is practical, but we can't always think of the worst case scenario, can we? I know what to look out for, and won't mess about if I start to feel unwell.

As an aside, the nurse also said I wasn't right because I always have vaginal discharge of some sort. That's normal, right? I've had it since way before I was sexually active. Well, since puberty probably.

• knickers_twickers
    Beginner September 2010
    knickers_twickers ·
    • Hide content

Nah that's totally normal, a lot of women have some sort of discharge all the time, it will just change throughout your cycle related to where abouts you are in your cycle. So she's wrong there.

I wasn't trying to scare you or "always think the worst", I'm a nurse myself (kids though) and when working the wards there was a 12 year old who was admitted to ICU and died of TSS from a stuck tampon. Whilst it is a rare illness it's severity always sticks with me. I appreciate that you know what you're looking for and that's great, was just saying that it can be a very rapid onset and therefore IMO it would be better to get it out before you develop it, prevention better than cure and all that.

I couldn't really have said anything else, it would have one against what I actually thought ?.

The fact that it feels like a rubber ring could mean that it's your cervix but the smell might indicate it's a tampon. TMI question but have you any unusual discharge at the moment?

xx

• Disco
    Beginner
    Disco ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's OK, thanks for your advice, that is what I asked for!

TMI answer, my discharge is always unusual. In that it's never the same from one day to the next. I've had quite a lot since I gave birth, probably more than I used to, but then I may be remembering wrong. As far as I can rememeber I've always had more than I thought would be average, if that makes sense. The things we'll tell to strangers, eh?!

• Mal
    Expert January 2018
    Mal ·
    • Hide content

Sometimes they don't come out if you are too dry. I know this sounds silly but is there any way you could get some water up there? or do you have ky jelly or anything like that?

• JK
    Beginner February 2007
    JK ·
    • Hide content

Yup.

Squat on the floor with something to hold on to (loo, bath), and bear down. Pop two fingers inside and have a good rummage. You can't hurt yourself, and you can't push it further in.

It could easily be your cervix you're feeling you know.

• Disco
    Beginner
    Disco ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the further advice. I'll have another go, and if no joy I'll see how it goes overnight, and go to the doctor if necessary.

Thaaaaaaaaanks!

• Marla
    Beginner July 2006
    Marla ·
    • Hide content

It does sound like it could be your cervix - it would probably feel quite soft and have a pronounced dimple if you had a baby 8 months ago. You could try feeling in a different position - squatting or tilting your pelvis forward a bit usually helps. You wouldn't really feel pain if you touched your cervix. Aside from that, whether you find a tampon you can remove there or not I think a quick trip to your GP is going to be necessary - vaginal discharge isn't unusual however if you think there might be a bit of a smell then you could have an infection and that needs to be checked out.

• Rache
    Beginner January 2004
    Rache ·
    • Hide content

If JK's bearing down/rummaging method doesn't work (try with your leg on the side of the bath), then an urgent GP or nurse appt would be appropriate (ring tomorrow, to be seen tomorrow). A&E isn't really appropriate (unless you're feeling unwell, but TSS is thankfully v rare). Make sure you tell the receptionists that you will need an intimate examination so she books you in with someone who can do it (ie probably a female GP or the nurse who does smear tests).

• QueenBee
    Beginner November 2008
    QueenBee ·
    • Hide content

way tmi but can you position a mirror between your legs and open your vagina (whilst in the squatting position) to see if you can see a tampon like protrusion?

I would def try a bath and hope that the water would swell the tampon and help ease it out.

if you cant get it out, then go to casualty.

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content

Just to let you know, I went with my mum to A&E for this a few years ago- god knows what she'd done but she had it stuck at some angle which was very painful- the triage nurse removed it, we were in and out in 10 minutes, you shouldn't have to wait for a dr.

• Bink
    Bink ·
    • Hide content

I had a similar thing happen and went to A&E and the nurse took it out - only took a second. Going straight to A&E is the thing to do - don't think it's not important enough. Good luck

• Kimmysue
    Kimmysue ·
    • Hide content

Has Mr Disco had a look/tried to get it out?

• D
    Beginner June 2005
    Deano ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

This happened to me last month & I got my h to get it out for me!?

Not overly pleasant, but alot better than going to A&E!

• GMT
    Beginner December 2008
    GMT ·
    • Hide content

This happened to me a few years back. I was sooooooooo embarrassed at my stupidity, but the lovely woman GP told me it often happened, that it was important to get it removed asap, and that I'd done quite the right thing by coming in to have it 'sorted'. She whipped it out in a flash!

• Monkey   Mavis
    Beginner
    Monkey Mavis ·
    • Hide content

Is there any news on the missing item?!!!!?

• R
    RomanticYellowConfetti38503 ·
    • Hide content

I know this was a long time ago but I am currently experiencing the same thing. Cant tell if it's a list tampon or my cervix because it seems to be attached. Just wondering if your case was in fact a list tampon or not?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics