Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Knownowt

Farrow and Ball fans (Rache?)

Knownowt, 19 of August of 2009 at 18:07 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 8

I've never used F&B paint before. is it really worth the extra money- colour-wise Dulux can match anything so what difference does it make to use F&B?

If it is worth it, would you recommend the estate emulsion or modern?

8 replies

Latest activity by Lady Falafel, 19 of August of 2009 at 19:32
  • Rache
    Beginner January 2004
    Rache ·
    • Hide content

It's so definitely worth it. It's not just the colour - it's the quality of the paint, the density - it has a "presence" that normal paint doesn't. But it wouldn't cost you much to colour match and compare 2 sample pots so you can see what I mean for yourself. I honestly wouldn't use anything else now.

• Rache
    Beginner January 2004
    Rache ·
    • Hide content

I can't remember which one I used, sorry. The last painting we did was 3 years ago and that was the exterior (oil eggshell IIRC)

• geekypants
    Beginner August 2008
    geekypants ·
    • Hide content

The estate emulsion is fabulously 'flat' in colour, with the modern being more sheeny. IIRC, the modern is completely washable, the estate only wipeable.

I rung them to see which colour would be best for the woodwork (its a tiny house so no point doing it all different) and the lady could not have been more helpful. Samples were sent, with handwritten note to boot.

• fox-in-socks
    Beginner May 2006
    fox-in-socks ·
    • Hide content

I love love love F&B. geeky is spot on re modern and estate, we have modern in kitchen estate elsewhere. also used their matt outdoor stuff for front door and it looks bloody brilliant.

got to go because MrF about to serve up dinner, will tweet later if have time so can chat there!

• B
    blimey ·
    • Hide content

I know this is probably a long shot but i used to work for a not for profit scrapstore involved with 'Re paint' where F and B (amongst other paint companies) would donate any end of lines, dented tins, tins that customers took back ( there was absolutely nothing wrong with the paint)

we had alot of paint donated by them and people would come to the store and give a small donation of money for the paint they took away. The customers that had this paint thought it was fantastic.

you might have a re paint near where you live that might stock F and B paint and you could test it out before buying from the company.

• M
    Beginner October 2005
    misseatalot ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the above. Most definatly worth the extra, can't quite explain the difference but I'd not go back to Dulux after using F&B.

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. I've got my eye on this http://www.farrow-ball.com/productdetails.aspx?pid=0235BL&cid=PC&language=en-GB for our bedroom walls, with white woowork and ceiling and pale oak floorboards. Have just had a new fireplace fitted as well (repro Victorian cast iron register), with a gas fire.

Operation "Spend more time in bed" is properly underway ?

• chocoholic_claire
    Beginner August 2010
    chocoholic_claire ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I think it's worth the extra money. I think the finish is nice, but also seems much 'cleaner' (not as runny/drippy) to work with if you know what I mean??

• Lady Falafel
    Beginner April 2006
    Lady Falafel ·
    • Hide content

Very nice. Might I suggest F&B eggshell for the woodwork too? Modern gllosses are too shiny & white. We use pointing usually.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics