Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Karen84
Beginner July 2016

Fascinators - yay or nay?

Karen84, 9 of June of 2015 at 14:28 Posted on Planning 0 29

Speaking from a guest perspective - are these still a thing? I quite like them to finish the 'look' but I rarely see anyone wearing them in wedding pictures anymore.

Do you wear one to a wedding? OMs, do you remember if many of your guests wore one?

All opinions welcome.

29 replies

Latest activity by Kr@zyburd23, 10 of June of 2015 at 14:53
  • miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

I'm wearing one to my parents wedding anniversary next weekend!

i always wear SOMETHING in my hair as i like a complete look, and my head is too small for hats (they usually come down over my eyes :/ lol)

• R
    Beginner June 2015
    RomanticRedHair152 ·
    • Hide content

I know lots of people wearing them for our wedding next week!

• AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

I don't wear them because I don't like them on me. On other people they look lovely!

I've been trying to get my mum to wear one or a hat but she's having none of it!

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

Mummy wore one when we got married and i loved it. mummy wints couldn't as she had a wig and the facinator she liked would have been too heavy for the wig to support, but i think as this piccie shows they both looked rather awesome!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I wore one two weeks ago. Xx

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I'll be honest, I think they're a bit...odd. They're just a weird concept...not a hat, not a hairslide...I wouldn't wear one personally. None of our guests wore one (although there were only six women there so that's not a very big sample!)

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

Well i think you're odd ID :p lol

no i agree the concept does sound unusual, but i personally prefer them to hats as you can have fancy hair and rather than hide it, you can adorn it!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

No one wore fascinators to our wedding. Our mums both wore hats but as far as I remember no one else wore anything on their heads.

I've only been to 1 full wedding as an adult where I've not been a BM and I didn't wear one. I do like them though.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha! I'm not against that concept, I wear flowers and stuff in my hair all the time. I dunno what it is about fascinators that I find strange. Maybe it's just me Smiley smile

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

Yep just you ID- you're a big weirdo Smiley tongue

(i'm waiting for someone to leap to your defence and tell me how horrible i'm being bullying you haha)

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Miss winter you're such a bully!!! ?

Some fascinators really are horrific. Or so large they may as well be hats. I like the cute little ones.

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

I'm just offering my opinion and the fact id doesn't agree means she's a loony Smiley tongue lol

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I like a fascinator, my mum wore one to our wedding. As did a couple of guests. I don't like hats, but a little something is nice :-)

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I have a freakishly small head as well Miss W! So, I'd happily wear a fascinator if I could find one that suited me ?

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

I would wear one. Quite a few did at my wedding. More people than hats actually when I think about it!

Quite a few went for a hair ornament like flower, feather or fancy clip.

Miss Winter - one of the ladies is wearing a wig in your photo? Seriously could not tell! Both their hair looks fab.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Wints are you being a bully?? I wanted to have everybody wear one but they wouldn't oblige :-(

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

What? Even the men Lala? You bridezilla you!

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks you lot, I'm going to go for it. I have the opposite problem to AuntieBJ in that I have a massive canister(!) so anything too teeny is going to look silly. I'm going to go big and proud!

MissW - I never would have clocked that your MIL was wearing a wig. Both ladies look fab!

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i don't know? am i? :p

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Some people suit them and some dont I'm in the don't category and with ID I think they are weird. But it's each to their own! I think only people who would wear one to our wedding will be family can't see any friends wearing one but then I will be amazed if some friends manage to dress smart being more used to outdoor/kayak gear or the student fall back of jeans an a hoody (even though we are all a long time finished!)

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

Ah i think they can be really cute. I've never worn wore myself but a couple of our guests did.

Hmm, having said that, i cannot stand those mini tophat style ones! Urghhhh!

• PrettyFlower90
    Beginner July 2016
    PrettyFlower90 ·
    • Hide content

I personally cannot stand fascinators. I really don't get why they are so popular. I would never wear one, and if I could (obv couldn't and won't lol) I would ban them from my wedding.

That being said, they are still very much popular with weddings far as I can see, and so if you're thinking of getting one, you won't be the only one if that's what you're worried about! =)

• LittleMissPanda
    Beginner October 2015
    LittleMissPanda ·
    • Hide content

Quite a few of the ladies at my cousins wedding wore a fascinator (myself included!) and I know both my mum & OH's mum are planning to wear one Smiley smile

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

I really like them and I think they add a sense of occasion to a wedding without going for a whole hat.

Apart from weddings, can they be worn at other occasions? I like to get a decent amount of wear from my accessories.

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i'm wearing one for mummy and daddys anniversary party next week and the summer end of term do is usually a good time to crack them out too. posher birthdays you can get away with them too.

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've worn one, and I think they're nice.

Also suitable for the races or ladies day, if that's your thing! I wore mine to a fancy Hogmanay Burlesque evening, it finished off my outfit!

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

Nay.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I've worn one to the races. Why not if you like them? Go for it! who cares what others think. It's your head after all.

• S
    Beginner April 2016
    samwillow ·
    • Hide content

Yay!! i need it!! i want look perfect in my big day

• K
    Beginner August 2015
    Kr@zyburd23 ·
    • Hide content

My mum wore one for my brothers wedding last year :-) I think they look really nice :-D

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics