Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kekepania
Beginner September 2006

Fashion Help! Smart/Casual

Kekepania, 25 of September of 2008 at 12:28 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 15

I have a job interview/selection process to attend next week and the dress code is smart/casual. My current work attire consists of black trousers, black t-shirt, etc - no need for smart/casual here! So I really need help in knowing what smart/casual for a work interview is!

What would you wear?

Thanks in advance from a boring-when-it-comes-to-fashion kekepania ?

15 replies

Latest activity by Ellaheavens, 4 of January of 2022 at 11:25
  • A
    Beginner August 2007
    alison76 ·
    • Hide content

Black trousers and nice blouse/knitted top.

• PhoebeBuffay
    Beginner December 2008
    PhoebeBuffay ·
    • Hide content

I would also wear black trousers, would probably wear a v neck knit top or a normal top, I've got a grey round neck top with sleeves that end at the elbow(from Oasis) it's lovely.

• KB3
    Beginner
    KB3 ·
    • Hide content

What the others have said.

• Kekepania
    Beginner September 2006
    Kekepania ·
    • Hide content

Thank you! I was a bit worried if I went down the v-neck sweater route I'd look a bit casual - I haven't had a proper job interview for years so I'm super nervous (especially about the aptitude test ?) and the clothing thing was stressing me out. Time for a bit of online shopping I reckon! Smiley smile

Thanks all x

• PhoebeBuffay
    Beginner December 2008
    PhoebeBuffay ·
    • Hide content

You'll look fine and good luck, I know how nervous you must be about the aptitude test, I have one in a few weeks.

• M
    Beginner March 2009
    Mrs Bloom ·
    • Hide content

I'd say smart-casual is the next step down from wearing a suit, so I think the black trousers are in order, and a nice blouse/sweater type top in a suitably work-like colour, with nice shoes and handbag.

• MD
    Beginner
    MD ·
    • Hide content

Https://www.next.co.uk/shopping/women/workwear/13/3

somthing like this? Good Luck though!

x

• Batfink
    Beginner January 2008
    Batfink ·
    • Hide content

I'd just go for a smart pair of trousers, if it were me I'd probably not go for black and go for a grey pinstripe with a nice smart top/shirt and nice shoes & accessories. I never wear a suit to an interview unless it states smart dress.

• Old Nick Esq.
    Old Nick Esq. ·
    • Hide content

I hate smart casual.... For a bloke it's by far the hardest dress code to carry off... And also tends to be expensive.

• NumbNuts
    Beginner October 2004
    NumbNuts ·
    • Hide content

I would say suit without the suit jacket

• Duck no more
    Beginner
    Duck no more ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think this top MD has posted a link is good as smart casual.

• The White Rabbit
    Beginner September 2007
    The White Rabbit ·
    • Hide content

What about a dress - if you went for a wrap dress or similar then it would cover the smarter end of the scale better than trousers and a top but also be ok for the less smart end of the scale

I prefer to be smarter for an interview than not

• Kekepania
    Beginner September 2006
    Kekepania ·
    • Hide content

See I was also wondering about it being a suit without a jacket thing! MD, I love that but I get cold easily <wimp icon> I always prefer to wear long sleeves.

Right, I think I'm going to order a nice blouse, a slim fitting sweater thing (is argyle pattern totally out?), trousers, boots, handbag and see what looks best. This is turning into an expensive interview. It is also only the 1st stage, if I get through expect another thread asking about what I should wear ?

• Kekepania
    Beginner September 2006
    Kekepania ·
    • Hide content

<adds dress to shopping list thanks to White Rabbit throwing another option in to the pot. Oh and shoes> ?

Seriously, thanks all for your suggestions - Fingers crossed dressing nicely will boost my confidence! Thanks for the good luck messages too ?

• Champagne
    Beginner June 2007
    Champagne ·
    • Hide content

For an interview, I'd probably still wear a suit with a collared shirt/blouse underneath and take the jacket off it was warm but I prefer to be smarter in interview situations.

That Next top is nice and I have a couple of similar shirt/tank top combos that I wear in our office for business dress code.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics