Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hubble

fashion you just 'can't do' - for whatever reason! Share your woes.

Hubble, 23 of January of 2009 at 22:02 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 47

OK - there's going to be plenty of things that your size / shape may not suit - but what is your 1 stylistic "no can do" that you're most peeved about?

I would love to be able to do "tuckage" - that's to say tuck my jeans INside my boots. I simply have neither the height not the thighs to do this look and i feel so alone cos everyone here is tucked into their bikers / uggs / leather kneehighs / ... except me. (i know it's not that new a look now but it seems to be an enduring one.) It looks awful on some people but all my friends have fab legs and fab boots and fab jeans and can totally rock a smart casual look while I have stood infront of the mirror looking like cross between an inverted weeble and an extra from Sharpe or something. Gutted.

I am not one to blindly follow trends and there's been many i can't pull off but this one really bothers me at the moment!!!

Also - ponytails. I look like a twat - not to say i don't anyway - OR that i never wear my hair in a ponytail - but i really don't suit one and there seems no logical reaon why. My ears are fine, my hair is normal, my face shape normal - but a pony tail makes me look like a 7 yr old street urchin.

What look can't you pull off at all to your sadness?

47 replies

Latest activity by Cleocatra, 26 of January of 2009 at 17:00
  • Chicken
    Beginner October 2003
    Chicken ·
    • Hide content

I can't even wear vest tops without looking like a cheap hooker. Shirts are out, frilly tops are out. Tulip skirts/dresses aren't so good either.

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content

I'm with you on those both of those. I'm fat and carry my weight on my bum and thighs so the jeans and boots combo is a big no no for me. I don't even think it would work if I was thinner as I'm so pear shaped.
    I've been trying to work out the pony tail thing recently and I just don't get it. Like you, everything looks normal but when I have a pony tail I looks like a scruffy school girl. I look at other girls and I can't see why they look good with one and I don't.

I can't do belts. I have big hips and a small waist so belts on a dress or that whole tight belt under the boobs thing serves to make me look ridiculous.

• Orly Bird
    Beginner April 2007
    Orly Bird ·
    • Hide content

Skinny jeans and pretty much anything with buttons down the front.

• Luthien
    Beginner June 2007
    Luthien ·
    • Hide content

Big patterns, wide legged trousers, dangly earrings, peaked caps.

• Ladelley
    Beginner August 2008
    Ladelley ·
    • Hide content

Belts and shirt dresses. Belts just look stupid on me and shirt dresses make me look like my grandmother.

• hazel
    VIP July 2007
    hazel ·
    • Hide content

Anything that buttons up the front or has a pattern

• W
    Beginner
    Wicket ·
    • Hide content

Skinny jeans, trousers tucked in boots, shirt dresses - makes me look upduffed, and I'm pretty certain there are others. Another thing is the sizings in clothes - winds me right up and then I get down-hearted about going clothes shopping.

*Shakes fist at those who can get away with fashion*

• Queen Gotcha
    Queen Gotcha ·
    • Hide content

Pencil skirts.[:'(]

• Chicken
    Beginner October 2003
    Chicken ·
    • Hide content

In fact, I can't really wear colours well and most accessories look rubbish too.

• Dooby
    Beginner
    Dooby ·
    • Hide content

I'm another one who just can't do tuckage either, i have some very comfy sheepskin boots but always always wear them under my jeans. Also i'd love to do the whole 'shabby chic' thing or the surfer chick thing which is quite popular over here...me i look a mess instead! ?

Also my hair seems to be getting into a bit of a state...probably cos i've not had it cut since last September! Actually i might well sort that one out tomorrow and get myself booked in for a tidy up!

• auldlangsyne
    Beginner May 2010
    auldlangsyne ·
    • Hide content

High heels. how, in the name of all that is holy, do women walk in them? i can put them on and sashay up and down the room but one step outside and i'm a hobbling, crippled mess. also updos, i have sticky out ears and a long neck and i just look ridiculous.

• Oriana
    Beginner
    Oriana ·
    • Hide content

High heels. I never wore them as a teenager as I was 6ft 2 by then and all the boys were shorter than I was and just never learned to walk in them. I still can't walk in them at all. A boyfriend once asked me to wear a pair as he thought long legs plus high heels were sexy. I wore them out to a party and must have fallen over about six times in two hours and once I had fallen down, I couldn't get back up without taking the shoes off. I have never really worn them since, but I hate it because when I wear nice dresses I have to stick with kitten heels or some kind of chunky heel and it never looks as nice.

Wrap dresses make me look really weird as well and crop trousers just make me look like I have bought the wrong size or they have shrunk. I find I also can't wear long evening gowns as they are never long enough and sit wrong and look stupid, but I don't care as one of the only things I like about myself is my legs, so I might as well show them off.

• Smiley
    Beginner
    Smiley ·
    • Hide content

These days clothes in general just dont suit me! ?

I hate my shape. I cant do straight leg trousers (skinny legs, big hips/waist). All the tops just sit at the wrong bit and make me look even bigger/shapeless than I am. I have massive shoulders/upper arms from lugging a toddler around (I have never had big shoulders before so that confuses me)

Jeans are a nightmare. I am high waisted (well, what used to be my waist ?) and it isnt the style. I think my crotch area is long more than being high waisted, so no jeans have enough material. I can go up 6 sizes and still they wont reach anywhere near where they should.

My list could go on ... but I am boring myself ?

• Maxi
    Beginner February 2008
    Maxi ·
    • Hide content

Anything sleeveless. I have horrible rounded shoulders which struggle to keep even my bra straps up.

I totally envy those with nice broad shoulders.

• Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content

I think it would be easier to list fashion I can wear. ?

• Nun
    Beginner September 2006
    Nun ·
    • Hide content

I would have loved to have worn short tartan mini skirts with black leggings. Damn my mother for cellulite!

• Hungry Caterpillar
    Beginner
    Hungry Caterpillar ·
    • Hide content

I have problems with most trousers as I have quite short legs. I always take any trousers I buy to my mum's, as she is good at turning them up for me!

Also certain types of jackets make me look huge, as I've got broad shoulders and large boobs, even though the rest of me is quite small.

Edited to say - I also have a problem with anything that fits on the boobs and then flares out, as I look pregnant! I bought a top like this a couple of years ago and wore it to go out for cocktails, and Mr Caterpillar said he was worried that people would think his pregnant wife was drunk!!!

• flailing wildly
    flailing wildly ·
    • Hide content

I can't do belts. Any type of belt. I'm quite apple shaped and it just makes it a WHOLE lot worse.

Ponytails, as well, I can't do - my hair is quite fine and rather than swishy, it just looks stringy. Not a good look, I think you'll agree.

• cherry_bomb
    Beginner
    cherry_bomb ·
    • Hide content

I can't do girly.

I do wear dresses quite a lot but very plain and with thick opaque tights and boots. I'd love to be able to carry off a pretty vintage-style tea dress or floral prints but I just can't for some reason.

• Evy evy
    Evy evy ·
    • Hide content

Crop trousers.

My legs are short and crop trousers just look like ordinary ones that have shrunk in the wash

• C
    Beginner June 2006
    Croyde ·
    • Hide content

Big bum, massive thighs and calfs and a small waist means jeans are a flippin nightmare

Big upper arms means tailored shirts are a no go zone.

any straight leg trousers are out

Cant do normal long boots have to have extra wide ones

the list is endless...

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

Shirts tucked in.Just can't-I haveno waist and looklike a tree trunk.

• jelly baby
    jelly baby ·
    • Hide content

I'd love to be able to wear belts. I should be able to as have a hour glass type shape but they just look stupid on me. Also jeans and tucked in to boots - well, I've never found a pair of jeans that fit me and I'm not constantly pulling up and tucking anything in to boots just makes my stomach look huge.

I really wish I could just do casual. I seem to either look scruffy or dressy and don't have anything in between.

• maxiemax
    maxiemax ·
    • Hide content

Any sort of skirt unless it is maxi length, or skinny jeans. I have been cursed with legs (all the women on my mum's side have them, I blame the Russian ancestry!) that are really FAT. I mean gross. I am 5' 8", 9 1/2 stone, size 10 but my legs are like elephant legs so cant be shown and even some ordinary non skinny jeans are too tight round my fat fat knees. I dream of having a double (obviously!) leg transplant!

Plus, I have a long-ish face that suits elfin haircuts and I have very fine hair which also suits elfin hair cuts but...I have massive ears that look stupid with an elfin hair cut!

Big ears, great thick legs, there must be elephant in my family line somewhere ?

• Gryfon
    Gryfon ·
    • Hide content

Dresses! I have tried many and the only ones which ever did fit was when I was about 16 and it was very fitted ? Now either the chest is too tight, the waist too baggy or it rutches up just over my bum. I would love to be able to wear a dress. Maybe I need to get one made especially to fit right.

And my only other would never wear is high, round necked tops. With my boobs it makes me look like a Z cup ?

• firsttimemum
    firsttimemum ·
    • Hide content

Cant do ..

floaty tops

skinny jeans

nice shoes - such tiny feet

• deliciousdevilwoman
    Beginner November 2007
    deliciousdevilwoman ·
    • Hide content

Can't do

Tops tucked in

"unstructured"/oversized knit-wear

Pleats

Big geometric patterns

High waisted trousers or skirts

Tulip shaped skirts

halter necked anything

• Sugarmouse
    Beginner June 2008
    Sugarmouse ·
    • Hide content

Anything low cut top-wise or that requires ample cleavage to make the most of the cut of the top as I don't have enough boobage - except for the first couple of weeks post baby which was exciting to finally to be bigger up top.

Halter neck tops as I have wide shoulders and they accentuate it sadly. Which is a shame as given lack of boobs they would otherwise be ideal.

• fox-in-socks
    Beginner May 2006
    fox-in-socks ·
    • Hide content

High heels. i LOVE them and don't find walking a problem but am paranoid about my height and hate feeling loads taller than everyone else. all my friends at uni were tiny so i just stopped wearing them altogther as i couldn't join in any conversations ?

• ashke_again
    Beginner
    ashke_again ·
    • Hide content

I can't do Empire line tops or dresses as i don't have a lot of cleavage and it also always makes me look pregnant too ?

And it's not a fashion as such, I have trouble finding dresses that fit well as I'm an hour glass boarding on pear and if a dress fits my shoulders then it does nothing for my boobs and waist, if it fits me boobs and waist then it's either to tight across my shoulders or it sits on my hips and doesn't fit the torso correctly (i look like a sack of spuds)

it limits me to what fabrics or styles (strapless, 50's style usually) I can have...

J

• Cath
    Beginner April 2005
    Cath ·
    • Hide content

Halter necks - far too much boobage, results in the bolster cushion effect. And lack of chin means polo necks are out, too. And round neck tops are rarely flattering, either.

• Imelda
    Beginner July 2008
    Imelda ·
    • Hide content

Anything that buttons up the front, as it leads to gaping. Polo necks as I look like an enormous cushion. Halter necks as I have very broad shoulders, ditto anything with thin straps which just look ridiculous on me.

Mid calf length skirts (do these actually look good on anyone?) and cropped trousers as they make me look short. Hotpant style shorts as I'm too old and my butt is too big.

All in one swimming costumes - they're always too short in the body, or if I buy a bigger size so it fits in the body it's always too saggy everywhere else.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics