Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs_Conduct
Expert June 2017

Father Daughter Dance

Mrs_Conduct, 7 of July of 2016 at 14:15 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hiya,

OM's and Brides to be did you/are you having a father daughter dance? I thought this was traditional but now I'm not too sure. My dad and step mum commented last night that it's a bit odd - I'm confused.

Thanks in advance,

Rachel

13 replies

Latest activity by thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk, 12 of July of 2016 at 10:48
  • Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think (although I could be wrong) that this is more of an American thing than a UK thing.

x

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

No its not a UK tradition but over the last 2 years I have seen that it is becoming more popular here

• AnthonyWinyardEntertainment
    AnthonyWinyardEntertainment ·
    • Hide content

It does tend to happen more often in the states than in the UK but as mentioned this is changing.

Whenever i meet with couples i ask the bride whether this is something she has thought of doing and the default response is often "no, my dad wouldn't like that", and rarely is dad ever asked whether he would like it. Yet from speaking with many fathers there are a huge number that would like to have a father daughter dance but don't say anything because they don't want to interfere!

However, it should only be done if both the bride and father want to do it, not because only one of them do.

It can be a really touching moment

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone Smiley smile

I'm a massive Daddy's girl so it's quite fitting to do it I think.

• MartinC Photography
    MartinC Photography ·
    • Hide content

I'd say somewhere between 10-20% of my weddings do it. Personally I quite like it and hope one day my daughter will want to have one with me too.

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

Hubby and I didn't have a first dance, he really didn't want one and it wasn't important to me, but my Mum said "will you have a dance with your Dad"? So I did, and I'm glad I did, plus we got some nice photos of us together.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Moonbeam88 ·
    • Hide content

I would really like to do this but not sure if I want to make people watch a first dance then a father daughter dance...might loose interest? Do you think it'd work if we invited people onto the dancefloor at the end of the first dance and have a second slowish song that I dance to with my dad without any announcement. Then I get my moment with my dad but a bit more discrete with people dancing around us?? x

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure when you're supposed to do it Moonbeam88 - I was thinking. Our first dance is quite quick though so might be okay - not sure. x

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly what we are going to do. Then OH can dance with his Mum, or my Mum, or whoever grabs him first!!x

• Bobbys_Girl
    Beginner October 2017
    Bobbys_Girl ·
    • Hide content

My dad passed away ten year ago but if he were still here, I would 100% want to do a father/daughter dance. More than likely to I Just Called to Say I Love You or Bobby's Girl ?

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

Bobbys_Girl I'm so sorry to hear that, this is another reason I want to do it. I've been to a few weddings in the last couple of years where the Bride's dads haven't been there for one reason or another. It always makes me really sad. You should dance to one of those songs at your wedding in memory Smiley smile

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

I;m definitely doing it - I'm sure it'll probably bore our guests to tears but I love my dad and he's my idol *cheeseontoast*

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

You're allowed a little bit of self indulgence on your wedding day! I'm struggling with the whole name change too because I'll have a different name to my dad

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

We see about 10% having a father daughter dance.

I always think it works well to have the father dance first then he hands his daughter to the groom...

We've seen a mixture of songs from slow to fast.... I would suggest if your father daughter dance is slow then go for a more up-tempo first dance....otherwise the 8-10 minutes of slow songs could really bring the mood down!!

Or you can have a song dedicated later in the evening....last week the father daughter dance was a Clash song in the 2nd set!

Hope that helps!

James x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics