Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Beginner July 2013

Father Daughter Dance - Father Deceased

ibm450, 17 December, 2012 at 19:39 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 8

Hi there .......

My father sadly passed away when I was just 9 and I knew since that moment that when my dream came true and I would become a bride that it would be a difficult time.

I have planned everything except one thing......the father/daughter dance.

I would really like to do something in his honor - possibly a dance with my mum and sisters, a dance with my uncles but I dont know and I dont know what song.

Is there anyone else in the same position or has been and can give me some advice.

Thanks

Bride to Be (july 13)

8 replies

Latest activity by Cilla, 18 December, 2012 at 09:14
  • Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Errm just don't have one. Many people don't bother anyway. I think having it with an uncle or mother would just draw attention to the fact that your Dad is no longer here.

• Muesli
    Beginner June 2013
    Muesli ·
    • Hide content

Agreed with Barefoot, I am simply not having one and i have both of my parents..! Not many people actually have dad and daughter dances anymore...

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it's really nice you want to do something in his honour - my only thought, is that you'd all end up spinning around in a big circle singing at each other. This might be exactly what you are thinking though, so if it is, then go for it.

I am not having a father/daughter dance; I'd never even heard of it before seeing Four Weddings USA. I love my dad and everything, but I'd just feel really silly and mushy dancing with him...not really for me I'm afraid.

Is there another way you could remember him? Maybe get your sister(s) to do a speech and mention him in that?

• I
    Beginner July 2013
    ibm450 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your replies - I just find it so hard to decide if I want to do it or not.

I am not having any readings done during ceremony and I want it to be a day where people feel that they can talk about him, not that they need to avoid the topic. He may not be here anymore, but he is still a huge part of my life.

• Tiny-Tiggs
    Beginner April 2012
    Tiny-Tiggs ·
    • Hide content

The ladies over on the wedding planning section would be more likely to help out.

Personally I'd probably skip it altogether.

• Daisymclazy
    Beginner July 2012
    Daisymclazy ·
    • Hide content

Hi ibm,

My Dad is still here but very ill and not able to dance, I got married in July and after the first dance the DJ played my Dad's favourite song while I stood with him - had already primed a good number of couples to dance to it so it didn't feel awkward. Maybe have his favourite song played but not necessarily announce it - just have it as something for you.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

My dad died two years before our wedding but I wouldn't have had a father/daughter dance anyway. I'm afraid I find them twee and my dad would have hated it.

We included him in our prayers in church and I proposed a toast to absent friends at the reception.

There didn't seem a need to labour the point. Those that knew him would spare a thought for him and those that didn't (ie my H's family) wouldn't be bothered anyway.

He is my Pa and always in my heart.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I had a father-daughter dance with my step-dad but it wasnt a traditional one, we rocked out to 'Sweet Child of Mine'.

I like the idea of playing one of his favourite songs and having a dance to it in his memory.

• Cilla
    Beginner April 2012
    Cilla ·
    • Hide content

My dad is still alive but would've died on the spot if I'd have made him dance. I wouldn't worry about it...it's not something that anyone would notice the absence of. You can remember him in your own way...perhaps a photo of him pinned to your bouquet...then he's still coming with you up the aisle

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics