Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katie-Elizabeth
Beginner August 2025 North Yorkshire

Father of the bride.

Katie-Elizabeth, 10 of September of 2022 at 21:21 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 6
Hey Hitched Family!
I am asking advice on things I can do. Sadly my father recently passed away and it has left me heart broken.
What are some things I could do to include him in my day and what advice to you have for the things he should of done… eg walked me down the isle and a daddy/daughter dance.I have a necklace with his ashes to wear on the day but it doesn’t seem enough…he paid for my dress but sadly never got to see me in it which makes me so upset as I was waiting for the alterations to be done
Sending all love and positive vibes to all you people on here Katie x

6 replies

Latest activity by Kayleigh, 16 of September of 2022 at 14:36
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my Dad when I was young and like you, wanted to honour him but not be to maudlin. I had a charm on my bouquet I got from Etsy with his picture on from the store below. We also had a small table next to the top table with a sign for those no longer with us and their names on small wood discs. (Shots below of where I got these from) Try and include a tribute in a speech, I did one in lieu of the FOB speech. You could also have an empty chair on your table for where he would have sat. Lots of little things you can do to remember him, I hope you can find something that works for you x
    Father of the bride. 1
    Father of the bride. 2

• Katie-Elizabeth
    Beginner August 2025 North Yorkshire
    Katie-Elizabeth ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for the advice! Love these ideas x
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Sending hugs. It's so hard when a loved one can't be there. I lost my dad before our wedding, and this is what we did.

Bouquet charm with his photo on one side and 'love' in his writing (from a birthday card he sent me) on the other.

His favourite flowers in my bouquet

I bought a Scottish silver bracelet set with a blue stone (Dad was a blue-eyed Scot) to wear.

We had some of our fathers' favourite music during the reception (OH lost his dad before our wedding too) We also picked their favourite snacks as part of our wedding reception, but that got cancelled due to Covid.

We didn't have speeches as such, but my OH briefly thanked everyone for coming and also mentioned our dads.

Some people suggested we had a photo table or empty chairs, but we felt that would be too overt for us, and also upsetting for our mums - the things I chose to remind me of my dad were quite subtle, so no one else would really know and I could think of them/look at them or switch my mind away from them depending on how I was feeling.

• Marie
    Savvy October 2021 Nottinghamshire
    Marie ·
    • Hide content
    Hi, I lost my dad before I got married. I couldn’t face any of the fuss so we had an intimate ceremony (us, kids and 1 witness) I wore my ashes to glass bead. For our reception I had a photo of my dad along with a poem which I then took to his resting place after the party. Father of the bride. 3

• Sinéad
    Dedicated October 2022 Cork
    Sinéad ·
    • Hide content
    Hey,
    I'm so very sorry for your loss. I've seen a few things you might be able to do. Get everyone at the ceremony to blow bubbles to remember loved ones who couldn't be with you, a remembrance candle to light, maybe have a small pocket put in the lining of the dress and slip a photo of your dad in that way he will be with you all day xx
  • K
    Beginner December 2024 Essex
    Kayleigh ·
    • Hide content

So sorry to hear of your loss! when my grandad passed i had one of his shirts made into a cushion cover and an embroidered patch with something he always said to me. i am going to save him a seat and put his cushion on an aisle chair. i had hoped he would walk me down the aisle so ill also be having a photo charm on my bouquet so he can still walk with me Smiley smile xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics