Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner September 2011

Father of the bride help...

blueeyedgirl, 26 April, 2010 at 10:28 Posted on Planning 0 13

Does the father of the bride wear the same as the wedding party men?!

My OH 3 brothers and his dad will be wearing matching outfits - should my dad wear one too? Slightly more complicated as getting married in Belfast, I live in Manchester and my dad lives in Hertforshire so its unlikely he can go over to B'fast and try the suit on!

Is it traditional for them all to wear the same? So not clued up on these things!!

S x

13 replies

Latest activity by itgirlno1, 26 April, 2010 at 18:49
  • Mrs_T2B
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs_T2B ·
    • Hide content

I don't suppose it's mandatory to do it but IMO I think it looks nice.

My father is wearing the same as, the best man, father of the groom, usher, page boys and grandfather. They are just having teh same suits as my OH but a different coloured/design waistcoat so the groom stands out a little ?

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

All the men are wearing the same suit. I will sort out ties and give groom a different one.

• B
    Beginner September 2011
    blueeyedgirl ·
    • Hide content

Yea im thinking the same....just not sure how they will go over for a fitting. Maybe they can be measured up over here and just give the place their measurements then try on the suit the week before?! x

Beginner September 2010
    33charlie ·
    • Hide content

hi groom best man usher father and step father of bride wearing same .groom best man usher have black ties but father and step father page boys wearing crimsons ties to keep in with mine and page boys colours ,, but its up to you at end of day

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

My Dad is, and he lives in France. I just explained to the suit shop and they started my order early and have added people on in dribs and drabs (I have other people scattered about too), Last time he came over, he went and got measured up.

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

normally they do. is the hire shop you are using in belfast a chain, as he may be able to go into a stockist near where you are and get measured there and they will send them through. Thats what we are doing with my brother in glasgow, and the rest of the bridal party in NI. we arwe having kilts tho, so we were able to send my bro to the stockist that the company here gets them from. another option is get them to send you instructions of the exact measurements needed and you could send them in an email.

• B
    Beginner September 2011
    blueeyedgirl ·
    • Hide content

Ok looks like we will just have to send over measurements and then he can try the suit on a few days before and then hope it fits. Organising a wedding in a difficult country is harder work than i thought!! x

• itgirlno1
    Beginner June 2010
    itgirlno1 ·
    • Hide content

But it'll be beautiful!

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

We've only got OH and bestman in matching outfits. The dads will match with ties and the buttonholes. My dad did not want to wear the wasitcoat etc. He does this pose/stance when you dress him up. He just doesn't look happy or comfortable so thought it was best we didn't ?.

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

If you're using someone like Moss Bros then they should all be able to go into their local store to get measured and then MB deal with it all. My OH was an usher in 2008 and that's what they did.

Father of the Bride usually matches the bridal party and Father of the Groom tends to be more optional. But it's entirely up to you.

I personally don't like the groom matching the men folk. We're not hiring suits. My OH has bought himself a suit and tie of his choosing. All the men (Groomsmen) have been sked to wear a dark suit (black, charcola, dark grey - whatever they have) and we've bought a pink tie with a darker pink pattern. For my Dad we've bought the same tie but in silver with pink pattern so they match but my Dad stands out. OH's Dad didn't want to match - he wants to wear his own suit.

• Allgold78
    Beginner October 2011
    Allgold78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes I'll be doing this too

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

well if you take your time with the measurements you should be fine! o and its not a difficult country ere! they should be able to send you a guide to measurements, seriously tho, comtact them and see if they have a contact with mainland shops!

• itgirlno1
    Beginner June 2010
    itgirlno1 ·
    • Hide content

Only h2b and his best man are going to have matching suits cos we can't afford to buy the ushers theirs so we've told them black ones.

My dad is only flying in from Australia a few days before the wedding so I'm not even sure what colour suit he'll have - he may even wear his kilt! You never know with scotsmen...

H2b's dad is flying in from South Africa a few days beforehand too and I'm sure he'll look fine - whatever they wear, they'll all have matching buttonholes and I may get them all the same tie...depends on funds.

I'm so relaxed and blase compared to some, it's unbelievable! I can't believe I'm getting married in 40 days.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics