Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2013

Father of the bride suit....who pays?

mckenna1980, 11 May, 2013 at 15:04 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi in February we decided to get married after 10 yrs together THIS AUGUST! this doesn't leave a lot of time to pay for it but we have reasons for wanting to do it so quickly.

We thought cost would be struggle but we would get through it with a few cut backs etc and I also thought my Dad would contribute a little. The thing is my dad has offered nothing and keeps telling us to do everything on the cheap i.e. no photographer, get a taxi to the church lol

This is all still fine but when it came down to paying for his suit I thought he may have offered but still he's not, we're really struggling now and still not even paid half of the wedding off and only 3 months left to do so.

So my question is whats the norm? do Dad's pay for the suit or are we also expected to pay for that as well as everything else?xxxx

7 replies

Latest activity by Sandysounds, 12 May, 2013 at 01:43
  • Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to say I'm at a bit of a loss when its comes to tradition and who pays for what.

If your strapped for cash you could ditched the whole morning suits & tails and get everyone to dress sharp in shirt jacket and supply matching ties?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

We paid for Dads' suits. But we didn't have time or budget constrictions. I don't think it's always the case that Dads wear the bridal party suit.

As E says, do you NEED your Dad in a bridal party suit?

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

We paid for my daddy's suit, even thought he fought against it, and wanted to pay it himself.

I'm of the view that *if* you want your dad to wear a specific outfit (which he doesn't already own) then you should pay for it (unless of course he is freely offering to pay for it) I don't think it's fair to expect him to pay for something specific.

But if you can't afford it, why not just get him to wear a suit he already has?

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

My brother walked me down the aisle in his own suit- I never actually thought of having him match the groom & BM.

Is it your 2nd wedding? Maybe your dad thinks you can afford things as your havent asked for any money? Seems a bit odd though for him not to offer though. Have you told him you are struggling, but dont want to 'do it on the cheap?'

I dont know what the 'norm' is, but I'd say to him 'Its £xx to hire your suit, do you want to pay on the day or get the invoice sent to you???' You could always tell him that the groomsmen are paying for their suits too, as they realise you are struggling a bit (even if they arent paying). See what he says. If he doesnt pay, then let him wear his own suit.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

We paid for my dad's suit but only because I couldn't risk him turning up in a suit that he had in the 80s.

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

If you want him to wear something specific then you should pay. otherwise just ask him to wear something he already has. unfortunately some parents (like mine!) are tight!

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

If you want him to wear something specific then you should pay. otherwise just ask him to wear something he already has. unfortunately some parents (like mine!) are tight!

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

My daughter (or rather me) couldn't afford to buy outfits for any of the men. So she found a nice suit at a reasonable price in Matalan. She gave all the men in the wedding party, including her dad, the option of buying this particular suit themselves or just wear a sharp suit (preferably in grey). They were all happy with the arrangements and looked very good on the day. She would have loved the hired morning suits but as she said herself....it wasn't something that would spoil her day if she didn't have them. Finding the money for the right venue and tog to capture the memories was far more important to her.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics