Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner April 2012

father of the groom suit!?

chocolatepickle, 24 of March of 2012 at 10:06 Posted on Planning 0 12

When we hired our mens suits because we wanted 5 we got a 6th free, so offered for the father of the groom to hire a suit for the occasion.

Well unexpected to me, having left it with the groom to sort with his dad they went to the fitting and he is now dressed exactly the same as the groomsmen.

I wanted my dad wearing similar but not the same, they dressed him the same too but I thought that was ok but then when my FIL to be went for a fitting and came back with the same i thought this odd??

We've now got 1 groom with different cravat, a best man and 2 ushers matching and now both fathers matching BM and ushers too. But only two bridesmaids.

Is this normal? The shop said it was but i just think its odd as FIL not exactly a groomsman....

12 replies

Latest activity by 2b_MrsB, 25 of March of 2012 at 00:45
  • xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

I'm a little bit confused about which of your family members are wearing what but to give you an idea...

My H2B, his BM, my brother (filling in as FOB), FIL, and OH's son (usher) are all in matching suits, waistcoasts, cravats etc The only thing slightly different is OH is wearing pinstripe trousers where everyone else is wearing plain ones. And I've only 2 BMs!

As I'm sure other hitchers will say though there's no set 'rules' and do what you and OH feel happy with whether that's 6 different suits, 6 matching suits, or 2 suits the same and the other 4 different...do whatever YOU want!

HTH x

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

I'm confused what the problem is?

It's perfectly normal for the fathers to wear matching suits same as ushers/best man etc. It's also fine to have them slightly different if thats what they want.

I get the impression that your OH wants them in matching but you don't? Sorry but when it comes to the suits, your OH should get a bigger say, so it sounds like he's arranged how he wants it to be. Unless he gets a say in yours and bridesmaids outfits then I wouldn't bother making a fuss about it!!

Both my dad and OH's dad are wearing exactly the same suit as the 4 ushers and best man. In fact my OH is wearing exactly the same with exception of cravat colour.

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    chocolatepickle ·
    • Hide content

Thanks missylou. They are all the same.

Nutella I dont actually have an issue I just wasnt sure if it was normal, I thought it was odd but apparently not- that was my question- is it normal.

My other half has chosen the suits himself however when I asked him about his dad being dressed the same he said that he just went with what the shop said, it was not out of preference on his part, more indifference.

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

Your welcome. I think that's perfectly fine then and IMO what I prefer to see. Think it looks lovely when everything is all matching, it's just down to individual taste!

I have 5 groomsmen all dressed the same apart from OH's trousers and my 2 BMs are dressed the same as well!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

At my sister in law's wedding both fathers had the same suits as the groom, best man and groomsmen.

We aren't having matching suits so can't really help from personal experience. If my dad turns up in the exact same suit as my OH it will be a coincidence! Or stalking.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

We had all the same for our daughter's wedding but the Groom had a different coloured waistcoat and cravat to the others so he stood out.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

I'm confused, are you saying your FIL shouldn't wear the same as your dad and the rest of the groomsmen? Why not? He's just as important. It's quite normal for all the men to wear the same.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

All our men wore the same, including FIL, so there was my dad, FIL, BM, 4 ushers and my H and it looked lovely. H had a different waistcost and cravat, and had a bit of a fancier flower buttonhole!

• D
    Beginner February 2012
    Dani1984 ·
    • Hide content

I think it is normal, in the end we had OH, Best Man, 1 Usher, FOB FOG and a Grandad each in all the same! only difference was my OH had slightly different tie but couldn't really see difference to be honest, i had 4BM and a FG and the pictures look really good with everyone together

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

For us everyone is wearing the same, groom, BM, ushers, FOB and FOG but the groom is in an ivory cravat and pocket square and all the other navy blue cravats and pocket squares.

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Its certainly the norm in Scotland for the FOG to be part of the wedding party and wear the same as the FOB, BM, Ushers and Groom (kilts in our case)

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

My dad and OH's dad are wearing the same as OH, best man and the two ushers. OH was asked if he wanted a different tie to stand out but as hes about a foot taller than everyone he stands out anyway!!

Its normal for both dads or neither dads to wear the same suit.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

If you wish them to stand out. Why not have both the Dads have slightly different waistcoats and buttonholes?

L x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics